Personal View site logo
Finding Face Exposure on GH2
  • 65 Replies sorted by
  • @proaudio4 Thanks. I still haven't had time to put together the full demonstration of what the cam's optimal DR is for skin tone and why, and how best to adjust the zone system to fit the cam (That's assuming one is using the zone system. If one is not, then one deserves to be frustrated by the results - regardless of which cam one shoots with.)

but the above results should be enough for the savy shooter to at least have a starting point... fit everything you want to retain detail on into those 4 stops, and you can't go wrong.

• How the fuck did I miss this post. Great stuff @shian

• @Misterbink Yeah, I've noticed the TE mode is nosier. I guess it's because there's less sensor to work with.

• Does the teleEX mode play a part in Noise?

• I've been Vjing in the past. Don't get the max headroom style... what do you need?

• @shian / @Anyone: Quick question: I need to do some old style computer backdrops for a client... Do you know of/come across in your time any filter which can do max headroom style wireframe lines and cubes?

• @Bressonftw I prefer Smooth. When I do use Nostalgic, I compensate the yellow and red balance by dialing up more blue and a little more green.

Smooth gives the most natural skin tones. Vibrant, even dialed down to -2 all the way through, really does some weird chroma stretching in the midtones. And it's nothing that can't be duplicated easily in post with more powerful software, with more control. What led me to do these tests in the first place was a great many claiming Vibrant was the best overall setting. I see no use for it in any workflow that will have any sort of serious grading in post.

There is some really weird stuff going on in the highlights of Cinema and Vibrant, where skin tone turns green. The screen caps below show this.

These are all at 2 and 2/3 stops over to clearly show the green tinge, which you can see in the image, as well as the WFM

Cinema image

Vibrant image

Nostalgic image

Smooth image

Screen Shot 2012-06-06 at 1.28.22 PM.png
    1698 x 727 - 1018K
    Screen Shot 2012-06-06 at 1.28.56 PM.png
    1695 x 725 - 1M
    Screen Shot 2012-06-06 at 1.29.19 PM.png
    1699 x 727 - 1001K
    Screen Shot 2012-06-06 at 1.29.45 PM.png
    1699 x 726 - 1M
  • Do you prefer Smooth or standard, then, Shian? Or would it depend on the situation? Also, it seems to me that smooth is more blueish and Nostalgic a bit more redish. Is smooth than a bit less noise-sensitive than nostalgic, as I've heard the red channel can be a bit of a bastard?

• Really good stuff @shian

• So here is the results of where the GH2 reads a gray card and skin tone when the in-cam meter (ICM) reads 0.

Vibrant

Nostalgic

Cinema

Smooth

My conclusion is that Standard (not shown) is as close to "RAW" as you can get with the GH2, but Smooth gives you a bit more flexibility in shadows, WITHOUT unduly compressing the MIDs and HIGHs like Nostalgic, and better shadow response than Vibrant (which does some funky stuff to the mids and Highlights as well).

And here is your 20% to 80% optimum exposure range.

More in depth analysis coming in the ColorGHear Film School.

vibrant 0.png
    1698 x 728 - 881K
    NOS 0.png
    1699 x 726 - 1019K
    Cinema 0.png
    1698 x 728 - 861K
    Smooth 0.png
    1698 x 726 - 995K
    Smooth -2.png
    1698 x 727 - 875K
    Smooth -123.png
    1698 x 724 - 897K
    Smooth-113.png
    1696 x 727 - 932K
    Smooth 0.png
    1698 x 726 - 995K
    Smooth 2_3.png
    1697 x 726 - 1M
    Smooth 1.png
    1696 x 727 - 1M
    Smooth 2.png
    1697 x 725 - 1M
  • Spot all the way. And yeah. I think I'll have to redo the test and cut every time before I change exposures. It may be hysteresis, like you said.

• Spot metering all the way through? Looks like a weird hysteresis issue with the GH2’s meter.

• Test details are in the vimeo description

Keep in mind this was with Nostalgic which lifts shadows and mids (pedestal and knee)

• @Tommyboy That’s a very interesting find. Thanks! Good food for thought.

• basically, yes. I usually go with 2/3.

The angle should bounce the brightest light (or the sun, if illuminating the subject) into the lens.

• @Shian

Thank you and what should be the correct angle to get the correct reading? Also, I was under the impression 18% grey cards should fall at exactly at 46%. Does this mean I have to overexpose by +- 1/3 or +-2/3 depending on the situation.

• Cinema doesn't. Cinema actually lowers the shadows but retains highlights better.

• Cinema film mode doesn't seem boosting the shadow.

• +/- 0 should be 50%. Turns out its a DSLR camera thing. Every DSLR does it. I'll cover the specifics in the CG Film School. It's a different curve on every film mode. Nostalgic boosts shadows and mids so that it reads 50. But highlights blow really fast above 70.

U also have to angle your gray card correctly to get an accurate reading.

• ...and here is one underexposed by one stop.

f2.8-iso640ev-1-ss50.PNG
    1295 x 809 - 507K
  • @shian and @Mr_Moore

I have just tested it and it is at 40% with +/-0 on gray card.

What should be the correct value in Waveform?

f1.4-iso640ev+-0-ss50.PNG
    1306 x 803 - 528K
  • @shian Yeah, I noticed it, too. Not sure it started with Sedna or earlier. I kind of think GH2’s metering is a bit wonky (to put it mildly).

• Anybody else finding that the new hacks throw the in-camera meter off by an entire stop? +/-0 on gray card reads 40% on waveform monitor in every film mode except nostalgic, which reads the appropriate 50%....or did I miss this on Quantum? It seemed to be accurate on Quantum, but Sedna is a full stop under using spot meter mode, filling the frame with the card, and adjusting till meter reads 0.

same results in both tungsten and sunlight

• I try to get my skin tones (or subject areas) within EV0 to EV+1 1/3, and keep the highlights under EV+3 and shadows over EV-3.

If the shadows are under, I need to light, if the highlights are over, I need to block. If I can't light, or block, I choose which ever option is best; crush, blow or push, which depends on the scene.