Personal View site logo
Adobe Creative Suite 6, CS6 topic
  • 132 Replies sorted by
  • Not yet. And what's so bad about Resolve? Once you get your head around it, it makes a lot of sense.

See the discussion about 5DtoRGB conversion. Resolve works smooth with those files, and even Speedgrade is not using native .mts nor any other native formats Premiere reads. It all gets converted to huge DPX sequences and is controlled by yesterdays EDLs. Resolve takes XMLs, which carry over much more information. I'm afraid true integration is still far away.

• @Dr Dave I still use an old NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400, Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz. Compare to that GT240 card you experienced with Premier, Which One is better? I want to order that GT240 by reading your post.

• So it seems! Cool!

• This seems to good to be true. I have master collection which costs $2600 and is around $800 each upgrade. It seems like you get everything with a creative cloud membership for $49 a month and $29 for existing owners.

• @Jspatz I just preordered it. I'm in the last summer of my masters program and am taking full advantage of the student discount. This is amazing. Not too mention the cloud storage, publishing and content services that come with the creative cloud...

• Looks like it will be out on May 7th. Very cool. I use InDesign, Illustrator and After Effects. And I don't even know the new features!!!

• According to early reviews OpenCL support (in simpler words, AMD GPU support) works only in Mac version and supports only strickly defined cards that you can find in Mac computers. PC version lacks such support completely.

• Right! And it seems that comparable Nividias are still faster. The new ray tracer in AE needs Nvidia too.

So, if you can, go Nvidia. The only two supported AMD cards are in iMacs, I suppose Adobe put this in since these can't be changed and they like to win over customers on the Mac.

BTW, I tested the jello remover in AE for a magazine (DP, Munich), and now that I'm out of NDA I can say it does a great job on pans and handheld, even an iPhone shot can get fixed pretty well.

But, like all others, it can't handle moving objects very well. Once a large object comes in, dominating the frame, it'll focus on that and the background tilts again. When the object leaves the frame, it moves it's attention to the background again. This is with the simple mode.

The advanced mode, which seems to work with local vectors, is doing a bit better on large areas, but produces local artifacts similar to Flow Motion.

So, no simple cure for RS, I'm afraid.

• I'm anxious to see if they fixed the dynamic link issue between Premiere and AfterEffects in regards to multicam sequences. Almost everything I edit is multicam, so it would be great to have this issue addressed.

I'd also like to see more stabilization options in Premiere. Warp Stabilizer is okay on some shots, but about half the time, it just makes things look wobbly and unnatural. I find myself going back to the standard AfterEffects tracker quite a bit.

All that being said, I'm really excited about adjustment layers and more multicam angles in Premiere. These two features alone are worth the upgrade.

• Use RS fixer first and then Warp Stabilizer, that's far better with any CMOS camera.

• That speedup they are touting about a Green Ecosystem for adjustment changes (something like caching all layer adjustments and only recomputing those in the pipeline that are posterior to the change) does anyone know where this will be running? In RAM probably??? I've just invested in 16GB and my i7 870 shoebox won't fit anything else...

Can I run CS6 on anything other than a server box, or is the minimum recommended RAM going to be 128GB???

• I'm still confused as to why After Effects is still so far from real-time playback of compositions from the disk cache (as opposed to the RAM cache). Surely it's just video playback?

• Need some insight. I'm doing a trial of Production Premium CS6 and while I think I've got a handle on what each individual piece of software does, I'm still confused on the intended workflow. I'm coming for a Sony Movie Studio background (read: consumer version of Vegas) where I did everything in one program. Now I feel like I don't know where to start and how to link the programs together. Do I start in SpeedGrade to grade the footage, move to Premiere to trim and organize it, and then take it to After Effects to finish it off? What if I want to change something I did in SpeedGrade when I'm in After Effects? I think I'm just failing to understand the way these products are supposed to be used. Are there any good overviews that someone could point me to? I can find plenty of individual product training videos, but I just don't get the big picture. This question isn't necessarily specific to CS6. I'm trying to get an idea for how these tools are supposed to work together in any of the CS suites. Thanks!

• @wigginjs - I think Adobe's suggested workflow would be:

Write it in Story Monitor/scope/paintbox the shoot with OnLocation Log footage with Prelude Import with Media Encoder Edit with Premiere Create effects with After Effects Create any special photographic elements on Photoshop Create vector elements in Illustrator Do the sound mix in Audition Output to DVD etc in Encore.

Or something like that.

• I believe Adobe took out 'Adobe Story' from the Prod Suite. I can't remember why but i don't see it in their specs now jtlyk.

• @pvjames It is part of the online creative cloud service now.

• @pvjames - I'm not sure Adobe has elevated Story to an actual standalone product, which may be why it wasn't mentioned in Production Premium. However, I just bought CS5.5 a week ago and Story came with it.

• @doug: yeah, i think they took it out of CS6 for some reason. Keep your 5.5 that has it. As @sohus mentioned, its in the Cloud now.

• @DouglasHorn just thought I'd mention, if you bought CS5.5 within two weeks of the release of CS6 it is likely that you can get a free upgrade to the new package... Happened to me last year, bought CS5 and two weeks later CS5.5 came out, after a couple of phone calls to Adobe they sent me out a box with CS5.5 written on it, with respect to "Story" the upgrade I received also meant that I could keep CS5 as well as the new CS5.5 package, which could be helpful?

• @matthere - Yes, I bought CS5.5 within the grace period so I can get the free CS6 upgrade.

I'll hold on to Story, though I'm not sure yet whether I'll use it much. The industry hasn't yet adopted Story as a format, so until it does I'll probably stick to Final Draft. Although I may test out Story on my own productions.