Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Adobe Creative Suite 6, CS6 topic
  • 132 Replies sorted by
  • I am currently on CS5 so the new Production Suite looks very promising indeed. The integration of a 3D camera tracker is huge as it has in the past been a rather convoluted route of different apps. I feel a strong pull toward a Premiere/AE workflow now. I have been a big fan of FCPX but it's handling of .mts HD files leaves a little to be desired. I can watch my HD Driftwood .mts files in real time on a broadcast monitor with Premiere CS5, and have little problems. Can't do this in FCPX on my non Lion machine. Only thing I miss is the fact I am on a mac and CUDA is pretty much essential for the accelerated effects. I really feel Adobe is overtaking Apple in this area, as Apple focusses on perhaps the more lucrative consumer market. Still I have a lot of love for FCPX. Interesting times.

• @lpowell and @tuprware thanks guys, thank you lpowell i believe i am screwed for now because of the deadlines....what i did is I exported a high res version of my sequence from premiere, using match sequence setting and then i imported it in after effects, it looks less beautiful but it works i hope.

• @lpowell--thanks for the tip! That seems more worthwhile than the upgrade to CS6. I can do Dolby by swapping the audio out but having that and the fine control of the video parameters all built in would be very cool. I have a question, however, can you do some scaling, like zoom in and zoom out to 160 percent, and see if you still get the superscaling feature? You have to check the render at max depth boxes I believe to get the scaling benefit.

• Looking good! And with Wes (Automatic Duck) now working directly with Adobe I'm assuming he's solved the hand-off issues all the way around including FCP and AVID interoperability with all adobe products.

• Has anyone seen a definitive list of video cards the updated Mercury engine will support? I'm curious about whether it extends to ATI, i.e. the 5870 I'm running in my MacPro.

• @Oedipax, just buy a $35 GT 240, don't even bother with ATI. Zoom! @lpowell--can you upload a couple of export presets for mainconcept for 1080/24p? I downloaded the demo but I can't seem to get it to work. I have the red line over anything with effects. The small chunk I did get to work looked good (with a watermark).

• @Oedipax: I don't see the 5870 mentioned. But they do mention the Radeon HD 6750M and Radeon HD 6770M graphics card with 1GB VRAM in MacBook Pro computers running Mac OSX v10.7.

See here: http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2012/04/premiere-pro-cs6-whats-new-and-changed.html

One of the updated features is better optimization of 'software-only' mode. This is good if you don't have a fast card.

• No Illustrator in the Production Premium package?

• No, it's still part of the Production Premium Suite. It's also updated to CS6 (unlike CS5.5 which did ship with Illustrator CS5).

• The speed grade PDF (http://success.adobe.com/assets/en/downloads/guides/SG_CS6_Intro_Reveal.pdf) says "Intel® Core™ i7 processor with 64-bit support" under Windows system requirements. Surely this must be oversight, I find it hard to imagine it's written to run on just one type of processor.

• No Lightroom 4 ?

• grace period started: I just upgrade from Photoshop 5 to Production Suite 5.5 including free update to CS 6. Last chance to get a full version suite for half of the price from a single product. Adobe changed the upgrade policy from CS6 on

@johnnym afair Lightroom was never part of the suite

• @duartix

This cards list is for CS 5.5, not upcoming CS6.

• Yes, I know, but it's the best you can get from browsing Adobe's network at this moment and probably a good baseline of what support there is in CS6. They are now touting OpenCL GPU support so I hope that perhaps they are extending it to AMD video cards too and scaling down on Nvidia's recent lines.

• @peaceonearth I know, but i would think they would include it by now. Oh well, it's not all that expensive anymore.

• Does anyone know how much it'll cost to upgrade from Production Premium 5.5? I bought my copy in December 2011, so unfortunately I'm not even close to the grace period.

• You don't need a fast card, you just need a GT 240, 1gB. No one in their right mind would run Mercury in software mode when you can get the full engine screaming along on a GT 240. The supported card list is incorrect, almost any Nvidia card will work with 1gB.

• @DrDave Here's a MainConcept config file for the H.264 encoder in 1080p24 at 100Mbps, 10-bit 4:2:0 color. It should be copied into the folder: C:\Program Files\Common Files\MainConcept\Codec Suite for Premiere Pro\Settings

H264-100 1080 24p 10-420.ini
  • Do you know where to put this on Mac OS X ?

• Any good videos showing how to use Adobe Prelude and SpeedGrade?

• @disneytoy I'm sure I've seen a speedgrade demo one somewhere, when it was owned by Iridas.

This is not it but could be useful and you can find the others in the series on YouTube. I'm sure there are better out there.

I'm sure you could find a copy of SG to play with if you search and it has some amazing features (such as mask tracking). Will be interesting to see how it changes when used in CS6.

• Thanks, I've wanted to get into Resolve, but the workflow is too annoying. It doesn't read my native files. The interface seems to be designed by someone whos never used a modern computer. My hopes is that SpeedGrade is well integrated with Premiere and After Effects.