Personal View site logo
SANITY 4 and 5.1
  • 1139 Replies sorted by
  • @tjnavyblue Thanks for the feedback. It's good to know people are actually using Sanity.

• if your footage is not transcoded, it is probably actually your CPU struggling. I know Vegas struggles to play 1080i/p clips from a consumer canon camcorder on my friend's Core2Quad 2.4GHz tower that i built for him a few years ago. Hard drives (even if attached with USB 2) are in general way faster than the SD cards the footage is recorded to in camera, so its probably not the HD unless you've transcoded to uncompressed or something like DNXHD. If te CPU's the problem, i'd recommend transcoding to DNXHD - seems to work well on windows, but i'm no expert there. FFmpeg will write DNXHD i think, so there should be plenty of free GUIs for it that will do the transcoding for you.

• All, What type of hard disk drive do you use to edit the footage from Sanity? I am having problems during edit in vegas. The preview is stuttering to the point of unbearable. The footage from the hack is excellent.

The spec sheet of my drive is 110MB/s sustained speed. It should be able to handle with plenty of headroom left.

• @mark_the_Harp Thx.

I just shot the above footage to pixel peep detail and moire with the grass and car going by. As others have mentioned earlier in this thread, I think Sanity 5 24H is slightly better than cbrandin66 for detail. 24L is right on par. Given the file sizes (I'm getting a full two hours on an Extreme 32gb card) the 24L version of this is THE hack for interviews.

I'm not seeing any of the banding discussed above. Perhaps I'm not re-creating those conditions properly.

@Ralph_B - Case you can't tell, I'm super impressed with this Sanity family of hacks. The philosophy and execution is right on the money in the balance of IQ and practicality. So, thanks.

• @tjnavyblue Was that Nike one yours too? Really nicely done. And yes - I definitely am stuck in a testing loop at the moment (so much stuff to learn) and must get out more!!

• I've been finding that when the rubber hits the road on client work, I almost always prefer using a setting that I know will span. Luckily, Sanity 5 24L has been delivering nicely.

As always, some of the DR is being compressed out of this by Vimeo. No big deal, it's just a super quick project I thought I'd share in case it encourages anyone to get off PV and out shooting this spring:).

• @bmcent1 "pulsing, full frame width, thick horizontal lines at random vertical locations from frame to frame. I only see it as I close the aperture down, ie not at a well exposed shot, and also not when the scene is very dark, but as it gets darker while recording a big highly defocused background." I have same thing. and ı have no idea. why is it happening? we have to lean on the right side I guess. this happens with all the settings I tried maybe the sensor has some flaws.

• Can someone please tell me what are the best settings with compressor for uploading to Vimeo?

I shoot in 720P 50fps Sanity 4.1 and use a Imac.

• I didn't see any sexy pose. If not for the earrings and and beautiful eyes I would have thought it was a boy selling newspapers. I think that girl just has a lot of character even though she was dressed like a boy.

• @pdlumina it was all shot at 60p then dropped on a 24p timeline, thats why a lot of people are hyped about Sanity is because its such a great patch for slo mo stuff. I'm actually like what I get on my 24p footage too. Jello is more noticeable with the long lenses like the 85mm. This footage was shot with a monopod.

• @Imaginate I really like the colors. How did you achieve the slow-mo? (on everything except the last shot). It is sad to see jello because it gives away the consumer camera this was shot with.

• @aljimenez I don't like it either but I didn't see any sexy poses in that video. I did see a pretty good talent at setting the mood for kids being kids though! You shouldn't try to read things into something that aren't there.

• @Imaginate Don't let unwarranted comments distract you from your art. You can't please everyone, and I guess we shouldn't try to. Some people will find inappropriate content where does not seem to be any.

• @Imaginate I don't like filming children in sexy poses and I wish you stop, but the quality is great... Al

• Sanity 5 hack 35-85mm f2.8 zoom Vivitar Series I Lenses (of 1980) Vibrant -2 0 0 -2

the grain you see appeared after it was sharpened

• Aside from slight sky banding, wow!

• Sanity 4.1, very impressed

Screen shot 2012-04-19 at 1.14.25 AM (2).png
    1724 x 1077 - 2M
  • So I shot some Sanity 4.1 today. Maybe I'm missing something, but all the HBR files were 30p? Not sure how to get around this...

• @Ralph_B

I've quickly tested your new settings.

in HBR/25p mode I-frames hardly exceed 600K. Maybe just numbers... but infact the video looks compressed. Sanity 3 rocks in HBR/25 mode...

Your concept of using the fallback scaling tables for P- and B-frames is very interessting. It just doesn't work for personally me at 25p. But it have given me ideas for other settings. So many thanks for bringing this up!

• Sanity 5. Looks promising, i like the way it allows smooth movements (reduced jitter while panning), great, well done ... Will do some test's also would be nice to have a GF2 version too! :-)

• delete my post, wrong settings.

• It's not Sanity, I guess it is the sensor or maybe AVCHD (because of what I noticed about MJPEG below...)

I shot the same scene today with Sedna C and it's doing a very similar thing with pulsing, full frame width, thick horizontal lines at random vertical locations from frame to frame. I'm shooting at ISO 160 (after going to 200 first) in ETC mode for both Sanity 5 and Sedna C Q20. Both look great outside of ETC and I only see it as I close the aperture down, ie not at a well exposed shot, and also not when the scene is very dark, but as it gets darker while recording a big highly defocused background.

Interestingly, I don't see it in MJPEG HD in Sedna C Q20 even in ETC mode. I didn't think to test MPEG HD in Sanity 5 before swapping the firmware.

• I don't use shareware.. plus I'm in Ubuntu :) I wonder if the GOP size affects the details. 17 frames is a long way from I frame to I frame, particularly with movement.

• @pdlumina Load the footage in StreamEye. It's easy to see if this is related to the quantizers.

• @duartix I vouch for the monster size I frames (manipulating scaling tables for P&B frames I believe), however it is my opinion that this creates artifacts in darker areas of the image. I will have to test different scaling tables to confirm this.