Personal View site logo
25p official topic, aka Don't cry for me Argentina
  • 236 Replies sorted by
  • @itsguy:

>>If you have only ever tasted instant coffee or seen fake diamonds then you wouldn't know there was any difference either, but that would hardly mean there was no difference.<<<br />

This is a a true statement and exactly the point I was making.

But I don't want to belittle the need for 25p in PAL country. I would be crying out if I lived outside of NTSC land also. I have no idea why Panasonic went this route. We've seen Canon do the same thing with the 5Dll only to turn right around after a big public outcry. Hopefull Panasonic will see the error of their ways and finally listen to consumers. Then again.........

• Oh poops, had held off buying GH2 cos need 25p then just sold my GH1 and bought GH2 thinking 25p was about to roll out thanks to the fine work of Mr V. Anyone want to buy a GH2?
  • @belfryman I'm sure there will be plenty of takers. It's a great camera (and I'm in PAL-land and have two 50i camcorders to match with the GH2). Bummer that it's looking like 25p won't happen. I guess it depends what you want to do with it. I've happily used 1080 50i and it's OK. I wish it was better at keeping sync, but certainly the ability to shoot in low light and the tapeless workflow means I'm still very much in love with mine and since Dec 2010 when I bought it I've never regretted that decision.
  • Wasn't totally serious on selling the GH2, I need the live HDMI till they do a patch for my 50 year old eyes!
  • I love mine too! Anyway, back on topic...!
  • @belfryman Rats - I was going to offer you £50 for it!!!

Hey I know what you mean about the eyes. Peaking would be good!
  • What about a 720p25 mode? Like the GH13's option of encoding every other frame of its 720p50 mode. That way you could have really good bit rates, 25p, and more resolution than Canon DSLRS.
  • I live in a PAL country and I bought GH2, knowing that there is 25p. If someone bought GH2 only because they believed that the brilliant Vitaliy make this miracle for himself is to blame. GH2 is a great camera, worth every penny issued. By Vitaliy will be even better and wait in tears by the time the leader of the congregation did not give us any hope now:).
  • Yes, only 25p would have made the rubbish GH2 worth picking up and I shall dutifully blame myself for the purchase for ever more. Er, not. I love the camera, but, as the whole topic illustrates, a lot of us are miffed that, for whatever reason, Panasonic didn’t include 1080p25 in the first place and it sounds like it’s not easy to rectify that mistake, so that’s a bit of disappointing news!
  • Does Panasonic anywhere written that GH2 has 25p? Does Panasonic 25p promised in GH2? No. Panasonic instutucją to make money and if he can do it with less-to do it:). I love the term Panasonic by Vitaliy as a drunken whore who, in a motel the next child is doing, forgetting the previous one. Was not surprising that the GH2 with 23.97 p is available in the PAL and U.S. is very difficult for him?
    As I wrote earlier, the only regret we have for ourselves because no one has given us 100% certainty that GH2 will have 25p.
  • i have been posting my confusion but nobody seems to answer me with a straight answer and I am a little frustrated, here it is again[ if i was an ntsc user in a pal world can I load the ptoool of the stalin hack and check the pal>ntsc and expect to get a 1080/24p recorded in ntsc and that means in 60i or is it still in 50i? I need to mix my gh1 ntsc clips with my gh2 pal on a stalin hack with pal>ntsc checked? thanks
  • I think we should organize a petition, all GH2 users and send it to Panasonic.
    Or it should be online signup petition just to wake up "PHanTHasonic" ...
  • @ Blues
    In Gh2 1080p/24 is recorded in 23,97p regardless of whether you are in PAL or NTSC not in 50i or 60i.
  • @feha
    >I think we should organize a petition, all GH2 users and sen it to Panasonic.
    Please,don't be naive :-).They don't care about us. They care about money.
  • @Mihuel

Sure, but we are who pay for their "gadgets", so they have to listen else they can loose money
    if thousand of buyers gets ignored !?
  • @feha
    It depends on the income from GH2. I think the Panasonic earns more on something else and GH2 is the icing on the cake, semi-professional. They will tell you: Do you want to 25p? Buy Af100. Were it otherwise, has long should hire Vitaliy. Me too painful lack of 25p, but you have to be realistic. Vitaliy can invent as 25p from 50p to do? Time will tell and let's keep our fingers crossed, but it's stop crying.
    Fuck the system and make up your own :-)
  • @Mihuel

Sure, thumbs up, for VK :-)
  • @Mihuel:

>>Were it otherwise, has long should hire Vitaliy. <<<br />

I have a feeling Vitaliy is the type of person that would tell them to go eat "Sugar Honey Iced Tea" and die.!! :)
  • >I have a feeling Vitaliy is the type of person that would tell them to go eat "Sugar Honey Iced Tea" and die.!! :)

haha, true that!
  • @Ian_T

Why do you think so?
    For me it looks nice.
    Stable work. Good salary.
    Boss speaking language that you can't understand.
    I think it is not so far from heaven. :-)
  • @_gl, @stolpis Nice shutter speed testing, confirms the textbook theory nicely...

Just a point on frequency, it's not multiples of 1/50 that work with 50Hz AC, it's integer multiples of 1/100, so (1) 1/100, (2) 1/50, (3) 1/33.333, (4) 1/25, (5) 1/20, (6) 1/16.667, (7) 1/14.285, (8) 1/12.5, (9) 1/11.111, (10) 1/10, etc. Or from another perspective, a cycle takes 0.01s, so you can set your shutter to 0.01s, 0.02s, 0.03s, 0.04s, 0.05s etc. to get "whole cycles" into a shutter opening.

Not that you necessarily have all of those options... but some may be available, and I hear GH2 can have exposure time > shutter time for those 'dreamy blur' shots in one of the modes... of course, if you pan across a bulb with really slow shutter speed the blur / streak will have 'lumps' in it due to the ripple (just like light painting with a variable brightness light source).

I keep forgetting about the rolling shutter, I'm sure it will stick in my mind more when I get my GH2 ;o). Sounds like those energy-saving globes (I presume that's the HF fluro you were talking about) might make things interesting, too.
  • if there is no 25p and only 24p is that 24p in 50i?
  • Here it is.
    This is what's happening shooting with the wrong framerate PAL/NTSC with main drive lights

• @madact Makes huge sense - like harmonics in audio

@LongJohnSilver That must be the rolling shutter where you see the light apparently moving along the road. Fascinating!
  • @blues, 24p on the GH2 is native, ie. you get a 23.97 progressive file. It has its own 'Cinema' mode for that, the 50i/60i are another mode. For your other question, I don't know if hacking PAL<>NTSC changes 50i<>60i, anyone tried it yet?

@madcat yes, makes sense now thanks. I don't see an issue with ultra-slow shutter speeds on incandescent lights, but that's because they have an amount of afterglow, so they don't actually flicker badly on AC. But I see it on fast pans of LED christmas lights, especially those driven directly off AC, as LEDs have no afterglow.

My HF fluro was a long fluorescent tube. Fluros can be driven at AC or at HF to look nicer. I think the newer bulb-replacment energy saving fluro lights are using HF more now, the older ones usually ran off AC directly.