Personal View site logo
ColorGHear TOOLKIT- color grading SYSTEM for AE
  • 1015 Replies sorted by
  • Ah glow~ I like it. I’m using earlier CGT version though. Yes building one’s own GHears sounds fun.

Her face was too dim from Dense Night gear. So I applied a mask layer tracking on her eyebrow. Just one more step to apply the Ghrain Killer on the layer and tune it. Hehe.

Thanks for the great work @shian. I'd say it's definitely better than MBL. BTW the robot was taken by hacked GF3. CGT worked nicely with GF3. ColorGFear? :)

• nice @stonebat you turned the glow back on. I left it unchecked, and haven't got around to showing everybody that it's there, just turned off cuz not everybody wants it, but it does give you a nice light wrap. 2 tuts from now I'll go into customization and building your own GHears.

also you might want to use the Ghrain Killer on the shot of Claire, the grade is bringing out the grain a bit, and the most recent tut should help you dial in the settings.

• Thanks, Shian.

• Unsharp Mask wasn't easy to apply... Darn halos...

Yes I hope AE CS6 has a vast improvement over CS5.

• ColorGHear is working great for me and I've only gotten halfway through the tutorials. Really nice work Shian. This isn't the greatest example because the lighting was not consistent, but CGH transforms it into something really nice in no time flat. I use it on every clip I shoot. Looking forward to more tutorials! I'm on a PC so might have a few questions to dial in the best export settings, if I export from PrPro, although Shian covers PCs as well. I don't transcode to anything before editing. I'm on a pretty fast machine, that's one nice advantage I suppose, although I like Macs also.

• @Jodan Here is a sample. I like CGT.

robot-frame-orig1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 585K
    robot-frame-cgt1.jpg
    1920 x 818 - 548K
    claire-orig.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 753K
    claire-cgt.jpg
    1920 x 818 - 691K
  • with PP it's simple. Once you have your audio in place, save your project. Close Premiere, open AE, go to import> and select import Premiere Pro Project. Done.

Then watch all the tutorials, especially the "working with sequences" ones.

• @shian or anyone else that can help: I have just finished editing my short film and will shortly be done post-production audio. I am editing on pp cs5, mixing audio on Nuendo 5. Once I have my final cut with the final stereo wave file on the timeline, how do I move the project over to AE to color correct/grade with CG? I am working on PC, Win7. If this is covered in a tutorial I'll happily watch it - I'll watch them all anyways but for obvious reasons this needs to be the first one.

Thank you all, and Shian looking forward to learning a whole new aspect of post-production! Your passion for sharing your knowledge with all who want to learn is the most essential ingredient of being a great teacher.

• @x_worpig_x That has been exported to a DNxHD mov file but its basically the same as the MTS shot from the camera in terms of color. It has zero corrections applied.

• @No_SuRReNDeR is that first screen exported from 5dtoRGB? Or was it right from the cam?

• Still working on the title sequence but here a before and after still ...I will be likely using CG with AE for a long time . At the very least to correct "problem" shots.... If you still don't have this and you use after effects....buy it, buy it buy it....its totally worth it.

-I just cropped em on the quick so yeah I know they dont match ....

Screen shot 2012-04-10 at 8.18.48 AM.png
    1397 x 616 - 1M
    Screen shot 2012-04-09 at 4.30.37 PM.png
    1396 x 590 - 1020K
    Screen shot 2012-04-09 at 4.29.38 PM.png
    1440 x 900 - 1M
    Screen shot 2012-04-10 at 8.36.09 AM.png
    1440 x 900 - 1M
  • In the description it says "overly graded to see how HX9 footage would hold up", but also says done with a combination of colorista and ColorGHear. So I was wondering if it was someone from this forum.

• He he, that shot with them sitting on the grass was so heavily graded it almost looked like keyed footage :)

• who responsible this?

• the one I just linked above (in my last post)

• The first video on your website or in this thread?

• @Jodan a new site design is coming, with images, before and after, etc, and a forum. But the first teaser video I did does have before and after in it - in fact the whole 2nd half of the video is before and after comparisons.

(Actually replying to your PM in another window right now.)

• Ok, one request: Your tool is awesome and in this topic it's possible to find great examples from you @Shian and others like @Stonebat, showing comparisons of original and processed files. But that is exactly what I am missing on your website.

Although there are videos (the same as those from your first post here), there is no comparison showing original and processed footage in a side by side view.

So just as an suggestion (and I think others "complained" about that also before): Show some before and after pictures/video on your Frontpage (or a special sub-page). Why? Well, if I was looking into your software, that was what I wanted to see on your website. But there isn't any of those comparisons available. So where should a random visitor know from what your software really is capable of, if the original footage can't be checked to compare or if there is no half/half picture/video showing before/after? Without that, I most likely would leave the website again without buying the software.

Besides that: Great work - makes me envy all the After Effects users...

• I WISH After Effects had LAB color. There are a whole host of looks I can do with it that I used to do in Photoshop as a batch process. Maybe we'll get LAB in CS6. We've been asking for it for years along with scopes.

No plans for sharpening as of yet. It is a lost cause in my opinion with 4:2:0. Works okay on 4:2:2 and 4:4:4, but all attempts with GH2 footage to add sharpness has produced halos.

Also, I find GH2 footage to be so much sharper than other DSLR footage that it seems a moot point. If the image isn't sharp it's either the lens or the operator.

• @shian have you tried AE CS5's Unsharp Mask on GH2 footages? Any plan for ColorGHear Sharpening?

I set the film mode sharpness at -2 and used Unsharp Mask in AE CS5. It gave nasty halos.

Here's an interesting article. The second example talks about sharpening only Luma channel. http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/cmg_keyframes/story/luma_processing/

"To avoid these halos, Photoshop power users convert the image into LAB color space (akin to YUV), and sharpen just the “L” - luma - channel. These trick is easy to simulate in After Effects: Follow Unsharp Mask with the Channel > CC Composite effect, and set its Composite Original popup to Color. This says to use the color information of the original image, and the luma information of the effected image."

• yeah i saw that article i while ago very interesting, and gives real consideration to where image quality is heading i been amazed by gh2 with sedna quality it might not be 4.2.2 or 4.4.4 but how the image is cut in such fine detail gives a unique look. defenitly a beast gh2. im still learning cc but to have this high bitrate yields much more space to play which i couldnt do years ago with dv cameras.

• Someone posted the first link here last month. I prefer 4:4:4 over 4k. Huge IQ improvement on the same 1080p TV.

• So, as a result of my most recent gig, I was invited to quite possibly the most interesting gathering I’ve ever attended. You see, when you shoot television, the dailies get sent to the network that following Monday, and are viewed by a great many people... and people have a tendency to talk, and so my imdb page ranking exploded, and I got a phone call inviting me to come out last night, and hang out with a few very respected Cinematographers (one of which I have long considered a hero). And so sitting in a private club, drinking wine, and talking shop with these guys was just the coolest damn thing that has ever happened to me. It was almost an unspoken, “Welcome to the club, kid.” At one point the discussion turned to my work with the GH2, and how I combat the highlight wall (those 3 stops above 50% before total blowout), and then to the subject of Genesis vs RED vs Alexa vs Film, and what exactly is 4k, much of it I knew, but I did learn quite a few things I didn’t know when I went in. So, after leaving there with my head buzzing (both from the wine and the discussion) I came home and found this article which details much of what was discussed. It’s a few years old, but lays out some of the common misconceptions about 4k (most of which I already knew, but some VERY interesting things I didn’t.) I think it’s a MUST READ for everyone shooting on a DSLR and suffering from 4k envy.

http://magazine.creativecow.net/article/the-truth-about-2k-4k-the-future-of-pixels

and then this one.

http://www.xdcam-user.com/2011/01/when-is-4k-really-4k-bayer-sensors-and-resolution/

Needless to say, its been quite a lot to process, and I gotta tell ya: I’m going to seriously rethink my approach to the GH2. I think I might actually be able to get even more out of the camera than I have been already. I will, of course, pass that knowledge along to the CGT community. And I will likely tweak quite a few of the GHears accordingly.

BTW I still suffer from 444 envy, but not so much 4k.

• @cls105

Well.. now it's more like a series of helpful presets for AE. Not a UI plugin or anything like that. It needs more developers, coders to do that as @shian said.. so maybe in the future. But I think far future from now. Still, the NLE-AfterFX workflow is not bad at all at this point.

• this plugin needs to be ported to nle's. ps i use avid.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions