Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 3: VY Canis Majoris, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion, Cluster...
  • 1046 Replies sorted by
  • Hi everyone, and to @driftwood, I have finally patched my GH2 with Sedena Q20 albeith changed the bitrates to 50M(L) and 100M(H) (to reduce the chances of crashing) and I must say it is looking very good, really wished I have done this much earlier.

However I have encountered a problem that I dont know if anyone has reported, while it does work well, if I ever shoot at or 25p at ISO12800, the camera halts recording after a few seconds and gives me an error message saying about the writing speed of the card. But, when I record in the same modes but at ISO3200 it seems to record without any problems. In 50i mode (in either H or L) it just doesnt like to record anything above ISO400 whatsoever.

Strangely in 24p, I dont encounter any of these problems, even in FSH or FH modes or at ISO12800.

Anyone has had any similar experience perhaps?

P.S. To help you lot, I am using a 7DayShop 32GB Class 10 SDHC Card.

• Myster0n (not burst)... screen grab at ISO 1600...24p, Standard -2x4 , f2 , manual lens. just a slight color correction.so,...what noise??!

Screen shot 2012-04-04 ColorCorrectionOnly.png
    1440 x 900 - 2M
  • @LumixUser Yes, I remember your earlier comparison frame shots. I plan and testing this weekend under controlled lighting.

So far it appears to be Sedna A AQ1 is top, but I'll know more this weekend.

• @GH2 Fan. Pretty common with these hacks. I have the same issue. Someone stated there were fixes out there, but didn't point me in the direction. Would be great if people did more responses that linked to solutions.

• first time posting a video link, GH2 Hack Sedna AQ1 Driftwood/Vitaliy Lens: Nikkor 55mm ColorGHear_v10 1600 ISO /Smooth -2-2-2-2

• @jvalal @gh2_fan The newest patches have not been designed for those cards. You can get reliable performance with less effort by loading older patches (I seem to remember SeAQuake worked will with the card you mentioned @jvalal) or by using the less aggressive Quantum X ones designed for lower bitrates.

If you have not done so yet, please try any of the lower bitrate patches from the new line-up: Rocket, Picturis and SpanMBU v2. If you want other lower bitrate patches that are not Intra, there are options such as Sanity V4.1 from @Ralph_B.

If you are intent on using these specific patches, be aware that write errors are not just affected by the bitrate setting but also by the frame size limits. I do not remember the specific post(s) that @Driftwood wrote on the topic or else I would link them for you. My normal approach is to load patches designed for a card rather than ones that require modification to work well on a given card (since they were optimized for different settings originally).

Is that more helpful?

• Yep, speaking as someone who spends a lot of time grading at the moment @LumixUser is right. Mysteron does seem to me to have more difficult to deal with noise than Sedna AQ1, still no biggy though its eminently dealable with. I thought myself there was a noise improvement at first but I reckon it was down to just how different it looks to Sedna, and with flatter shots it does seem less noticeable. The noise seems worse just above the blacks in the very low end of the midtones, as does the macroblocking to Sedna. Considering Driftwoods explanation of Mysteron though that makes perfect sense. I've not tried burst mode at all.

This doesn't matter too much cos as others have said you always tend to crush your blacks when you grade anyway. However, there are some shots though where you might like to lift instead, such as (to give two examples I've had recently) you're shooting someone with long hair and you want to soften some of the more sharper shadows on their neck. Or you have an indoor scene with light coming in through the window and you want to diffuse the scene a fair bit to create an early morning light. In both those cases though your probably not going to lift your deep blacks, but you are going to want to lift the tones just above the blacks. This is mostly a breeze to do in Sedna AQ1, but not so much with Mysteron, and actually its difficult to lift that range (to nigh on impossible) with any GOP1 setting prior to Sedna.

• Currently uploading a music video featuring some Sedna C footage - the artist does not have a Vimeo Plus account, but I will provide the normal Vimeo link tomorrow.

• @thepalalias why not in youtube,... i have unlimited upload size and time in youtube,..you need to register with your mobile number so that they will provide you youtube unlimited,...is that any particular reason for uploading in vimeo??

• @PiotrJ ya thepalalias is rite i missed some of them,.. i neveer tried quantum 1- 8 ,.tried only q9,...then there are lot it seems,... seaquake is pretty old i beleive after reading thepalalias post,..he he,.. ;)

• Has anyone tried all these driftwood hack settings on GH1?

• @LumixUser is this something that cannot be reduced by neat video...or other post production tricks? also when it is a video and not a still of it, seems to be much finer to my eyes...the noise kind of blends- not so "macro"...and if i am not mistaken since there is almost no detail in this area, mysteron (vbr-mbits kicks in with details,is this correct?)its not supposed to work there to much...so you are saying that sedna would do a better overall job than this? i have not tried sedna(any) and jumped from cluster to mysteron.

• @Stray that sheds more light on the difference between Sedna and Mysteron, thanks!

• @luxis Yep, its still removable with Neat Video or similar. Sedna AQ1 cuts blocks much finer, is pretty much a CBR like setting, and will do a better overall job.

• @rajamalik She is uploading it to both. Vimeo just went first. Both will be up a bit later but I will send you a link to the Vimeo right now so you can see if it works yet (I am away from my computer so I cannot check yet).

• @Stray ,makes sense VBR vs. CBR(high) - 0:1 ; )

• @thepalalias So, if Sedna and Mysteron aren't designed for class 10 cards, which cards are they designed for? SanDisk 95MB/s?

• Sandisk 95 MB/s is the only one better than any other class 10 sd card

• I am able to span Mysteron (non burst) on my Sandisk 45MB.. However I have not done any crazy outside tests.

• @Wigginjs Mysteron is pretty mild mannered. In 720P, which is most of what I shoot, it's nearly identical to Sanity 4.1 and seems to be just as stable. It works fine on 45mb cards. I shoot Docs and I don't have an artistic bone in my body, so I have to accept what Stray says about grading. All I care about is getting color and exposure right and Mysteron is fine with that.

Mysteron does start showing some noise above 1600 but even into 5000 (in 24P) the noise is fine enough to be usable with neat video.

So depending on what you want to do, it may be the best bet for your 45MB cards. I haven't gotten it to crash yet and considering I could stress SMBU to lockup on 45MB, that's a big plus.

• I've run Sedna (24H) perfectly well on Sandisk 30mb/s (the extreme HD video card) with absolutely no issues. No spanning, but no other problems at all. But not all good class 10 cards are 'good'.

• My card stops with 720p50 on sedna AQ1, on AQ20 no problem with 720p50 and class 10 card (45mb/S)

• sedna and mysterion are fine on my sandisk 30mb cards. even toshiba class 10 (white ones) cards are ok as long as I don't use lumix lenses (when I do I get an error after ~30sec). transcend cl 10 dies after a couple of seconds no matter which lens:)

• So...Mysterion burst is pretty insane.

Canon FD 50mm @ f8 shutter 200

00004.png
    1920 x 1080 - 5M
  • @magnus387 Wow...that's amazingly intense.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions