Personal View site logo
The Big Thing
  • 437 Replies sorted by
  • @Vitaly How did you manage to keep on posting for more than 24 hours?

To all. Things are getting pathetic now. The only way out: I think the moment has arrived that we should start to construct our own camera. Russian lens mount (M39, M42), Kiselev-Sensor, permanent wireless hack connection.

• every one, y not BT for Beer Time now

• CONGRATULATIONS on the well played joke! The next year model will be much better, I hope. Can you give, per NDA, some hints on what features we might be getting?:)

With the joke aside, I do not know whether anybody else notices it. The gamma shift also affects the still side of GH2. I notice it most in dark environment. However the shift does not affect the High Speed Burst mode of photo mode even in the dark. @Vitaliy, is there a possibility that the High Speed Burst mode can be hacked to allow normal photo shooting? That's to say, remove the 1/40 second shutter speed and allow photo size to be selected like the mechanical shutter mode. I believe some of us do not care for the useless 40fps and happily trade that for a 2-3fps silent mode shooting in RAW. This mode is very useful in churches.

Thanks.

• "I'm not a fucking hipster!"

I snorted out coffee all over my keyboard on this one.

While I totally expected this to be an April fool's joke, I think it was more funny watching people's replies. By the number of feverish replies looking to heap praise, I can tell there are probably a lot of tears shed and keyboards smashed after they viewed the video..

• Lame joke. I pray that you'll all get a decent sense of humour. April fools is only funny to the prankster. No exception here. Another waste of my bloody time.

• @johnnym or to those with a real sense of humor, and the ability to laugh at their own gullibility.

Bob: Outrageous, How dare he say such blasphemy. I've got to do something. Man #1: Bob, there's nothing you can do. Bob: Well, I guess I'll just have to develop a sense of humor.

• funniest thing is reaction of many people ... how willingly they back to corporate hands for focus peaking ...

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Focus peak this, I went for it, hook line and sinker, remember back to the comment made by the Panasonic representative, acknowledgment of the Stalin Group and kind of side stepped the .... innuendo.. intellectual property idea. Wow, a corporation is watching, their overhead is down, all our R & D is being funded by shadowy figures on the net, what could be better and cost effective. Let it continue....... Like the shadowy figures, we have access to the advancements as well. it's over.. now for all of you that contributed in the last 2 week can go, and the rest of you, put up, or shut up. The chaos was incredible. The spectacle awesome. I am FULLY AWAKE.

• @Dusty42 A few things.

• That mode limits the fastest shutter to 1/1000 not 1/4000 (which is kind of important to know if you are shooting high speed shots). Both H burst and the video modes are at 1/4000.
    • The 40fps mode is not useless, but it is most useful in conjunction with careful testing and an intervalometer. Last year I shot an over 6 minute music video using almost entirely footage from the 40fps burst mode.
    • The mode currently works by reducing the bandwidth and processing used. So not only is it not RAW, but JPEG compression and only at smaller frame sizes (1920x1080 for 16x9) but the EX mode is currently disabled because of whatever overhead concerns they have about that.

While it might be cool to have a faster burst rate, it certainly tends to feel bandwidth and/or processor limited on the GH2 each time I pick-up my slightly older Canon DSLR and shoot with that instead.

• @thepalalias, I had tried to do a timelapse using this mode with an external intervalometer but it did not work out because Panasonic put a limit on how the mode works. There were 2 problems that I ran into. First, I could not go down to 1/2 second shutter. It's locked at 1/40 second. And 2nd, I got about 2 frames per trigger via an external timer. Could this due to the (SH) burst mode or my timer? I could not tell. Did you experience multiple frames per trigger? What timer did you use? I did not know that there was an upper limit as well. I though it was 1/4000 like others. This limit can be removed as well via a hack, I think. There is another limit on the flash at 1/160. As soon as the builtin flash is raised or a flash trigger is attached, GH2 falls back to 1/160. It's impossible to blur out the background on a bright sunny day using a fill flash with all the limitations put in place by Panasonic. I am hoping the Vitaliy can at least remove the restriction to allow shooting in RAW using this SH burst mode. Even at 2-3fps is way better than it's now.

• @Dusty42 I have said it before and will say it again - I really do not understand why people would do timelapse at 1920x1080 when they can easily shoot it at higher resolution with more felxibility on the same camera. But is beside the point: what I was referring to was using the mode for 40 fps slow mition segments that each cut perfectly to the tempo of the music used - 40 frames per shot.

As far as the flash, I just was not aware of that. I really literally almost never use it (as in less than 20 shots with a flash in the last 1.2 million I shot, and that is a literal number). I am sorry to hear it is an aggravation: I would think that people that wanted better flashes with gravitate towards the more compatible DSLRs, but I do not like being furstrated technically myself and would not wish it on others.

• @thepalalias

May be because of shutter limited life?

Panasonic clearly needs special timelapse mode, so it can produce full resolution AVCHD files. :-) Without using mechanical shutter.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I understand it conceptually, but while I have had to replace the shutter drive assembly on a Canon 50D, I have yet to have to do the same on a Panasonic TZ5, GH1, or GH2, so until I hear more reports of people having to do that, it still feels academic. :)

Nonetheless, I am all for an electronic shutter improvement for timelapse, as long as it does not sacrifice resolution.

Incidentally, I also would not mind any sort of improvement to the SH burst mode targeted at the existing slow-mo side. I love shooting with that under the right circumstances. :)

• Btw, the continuous burst mode on the TZ5 was kind of unique and great for timelapse if you strapped a rubberband on it and used different speed memory cards to set the interval. I shot a couple hundred thousand frames of that on it (I think the shutter was up to 300,00 or 400,000 recently) and the shutter is still kicking.

There were no similar burst modes on essentially any other point and shoots until the ZS10, since Panasonic phased out the long burst option soon after (as I found out through repeated hands on testing).

• @thepalalias, I might have misunderstood your message that I responded to. Anyway, the shutter on the TZ5 is all electronic, I think. Most "compacts" use electronic shutter. Correct me if I am wrong.

Have you looked the 80% mode? The difference between the 80% and high speed burst is only 2.5 frames for NTSC. Maybe you had looked at that mode already but decided you did not like it. My apology in that case.

Base on the brilliant approach of Vitaliy to produce the hack so far, you can choose whether you want to enable a hack setting or not. For example, remove the ISO limit. If Vitaliy puts in a hack to remove the photo size limit on the high speed burst (SH), his approach of implementation will still be the same. I can check that box and my GH2 will instantly become silent "big" gun (or probably the first interchangeable lens cam that shoots RAW using electronic shutter). People will not stare at me in churches when I press the button. I will get an extra bonus as well because people will be more natural if I am in stealth mode.

Extending the life of GH2 as Vitaliy commented is "the Big Thing" from mechanical failure.

Thanks.

• Driftwood Mysteron Burst Mode - The BIG Thing?

900k i frames intra - Driftwood Mysteron Burst Mode at 5 secs.png
    1295 x 679 - 243K
  • svart 1:36AM "I'm not a fucking hipster!" I snorted out coffee all over my keyboard on this one.

svart, one of the brilliant things about the original Hitler footage is not just the outbursts and tragedy, but Hitler himself, he's so easy to parody for all the things he is not. Most of all the lines I came up with we're from this actual "Big Thing" thread, ESPECIALY the expectation and tragedy...hehe.. Sorry if it pissed anyone off.

Rambo

• FS700 is 4k in interpolation: that's cheating. It'd be like meeting a gorgeous girl at a club, be ready to marry her by how hot she looks, and then when you take her back to your place, discover that she's a man...

• "", be ready to marry her by how hot she looks""

That's where you fugged up!

• @apefos

Maybe you should watch the videos in earlier posts. ;-)

• Now that I have watched both videos I can comment.

Freaking Hilarious!!!

• Felicidades, dont forget the the GH1, i still got one hacked of course.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Maybe you could update your first post with a clarification? I read through 8 pages of rumors now and don´t know what to think anymore.