Personal View site logo
SANITY 4 and 5.1
  • 1139 Replies sorted by
  • Peter, these patches have gotten so good that honestly, there isn't a difference, or if there is, it's so small as to be insignificant. We're basically seeing what the camera is actually putting out. How do I know this? Because I compare the hacked picture to an uncompressed HDMI capture of the same scene.

Best low light test? I'm a believer in real world scenes. Just shoot things under the conditions that you would actually do in a production. Exterior city street, dim hallway, person sitting in a dark room illuminated by as TV, whatever. And do several different scenes.

• @Ralph_B Help me out Ralph. Yesterday in addition to Sanity V4.1 I just had to use Nick's latest, Mysteron. It's nice even in 720-60. The Bitrate is lower than 4.1 (in 760P) and I guess I'm getting old because I can't tell the difference between the two.

Mysteron is unbelievably clean in low light, but I haven't tested 4.01 against it. What would be the best low light test?

• @Brian_Siano The patch description is accurate. I recommend you try 24L and see what it looks likes. You might be pleasantly surprised.

• Ralph_B, wait a sec. The patch description says that spanning works with 24L, but what about 24H? That's what I'm shooting.

• Ralph_B: Thanks. Will install it and try it tonight.

• @Brian_Siano

Sanity 4.1 will work fine at 24L. The bitrate is 29.3M, and it looks amazingly good. I shot a paid gig with it, and the client loved it.

• I have a shoot coming up that'll run about two hours, which I'd like to shoot 1920x1080 at 24fps (NTSC). I'm looking for a patch that'll handle that on a 32gig class 10 card. I don't need severely high bit rates, either: 42-44 mbps would be just fine for me. Would Sanity be the right patch for me? I've been using Cake, but I don't really need that patch's high bit rates.

• @Reshaydee

Things to try: 1) Reformat the card 2) Try a different card (preferably by a different manufacturer) 3) Use a lower recording setting - ex: 24L instead of 24H.

• I'm using a Toshiba Class 10 16GB and it won't let me record due to memory speed.

Is there anything I can do to fix this issue?

Specifically says, "Motion recording was cancelled due to the limitation of the writing speed of the card."

This has never happened to be before while using this card. I've tested Cake 1.2 and Cake 2.0 with it and I did not get this result.

• Thanks, Ralph. I tried that (& as you say, this isn't unique to many patches, er, settings). Unfortunately, doesn't help in this case.

I just shot another quick test shooting CUs of "fabric of death" and not surprisingly that fails to playback in-camera if shot at 24H, but 24L plays in-camera fine.

Reason I'm testing this is that I have a shoot coming up where many scenes will be outdoors along trails through woods, so lots of fairly static, high-detail shrubbery of death.

I'll do some more little tests with 24L and see how that goes. Thanks for your & Vitaliy's efforts!

• @peterdv_dot_com Try turning the camera off and then on again, and see if it plays. This problem is not unique to Sanity, but affects many of the patches.

• Sanity 4.1 24H records OK, but won't play in-camera for me (freezes at start of playback). Tried both SanDisk Extreme Pro 16GB (95MB/s) & SanDisk Extreme 8GB (30MB/s) cards. Issue occurs with both 45-yr. old Nikkor prime lens & Lumix 20mm pancake lens. Tried both Smooth & Standard at -2,-2,-1,0 and -2,-2,-1,-2. NTSC.

For these tests I was shooting high-detail, no-motion handheld scenes (shrubbery, leaves, gravel, etc.) Beauty shots. ;-)

For my work I need reliable in-camera playback. Any suggestions? Cheers.

• @opa

B-frames are turned on as part of the patch. They help the codec operate more efficiently. It's nothing that you need to adjust.

• Hi, and thank you for the excellent patch.I like to shoot mostly 720p,therefore, the next question (I am really a beginner). You are talking about B-frames, which / what it is, and how I turned on ? Thanks for you answers.

• @ricker That's a hard question and you have to look at all your requirements. These patches come fast and require a lot of testing. Right now Driftwood and Ralph are running a dead heat for king. Driftwood's Mysteron is damn good and maybe a tad better in low light and perhaps a little more detailed. It's a very small difference if there is any and I don't have two GH2's to compare side by side. It does have a few quirks I haven't weeded out yet but I like it overall.

Sanity 4.1 is the undisputed winner in the stability department. Image quality and post friendly traits are near perfect for me. It is a little higher bitrate in 720 but I also don't use bitrate as the ultimate test of settings.

To give a bottom line of my opinion right now, I can't decide but if I was told I could not change after picking one, it would be Sanity 4.1...but you have to do a lot of testing for yourself.

• Sanity 4.1 is absolutely great for 720p. Having B-frames turned on takes it to another level, especially for motion. And it spans, too. Try it.

• Can anyone mention on best patch for 720p? Looking for highest detail. Is sanity where it's at? In firmware 1, I was using the NiNE patch and it was running at 80mbps on 720. With 1.1 and new driftwood matrices it all changed. So best 720?

• HBR25 doesn't span on Sandisk 64Gb 95mbs cards on either my Japanese GH2 or my OZ GH2. Need to get this one working.

• @evero I only tested Sanity with Sandisk 30M class 10 cards, and with these cards, HBR did not span. I see you had success with a Sandisk 95mb card. So, keep us posted with your results.

• You da man @Ralph_B! Freaking fantastic....

• @Ralph_B I'm not sure about similarities with Cake 2.0 patch, but it seemes like it spans in HBR with 30MB/s sd cards. Do you think this is achievable with Sanity? Anyways, thanks for your efforts on this patch :)

• Noticed my histogram disappears after about 10 min..any one else?..I am using Sanity 4.1

• I just tested with Lexar class 10 133x card, and it didn't span in HBR (Sanity 4.1 pal). Not sure if it's any point testing faster cards, but giving sandisk 95mb/s a try..

UPDATE: It spanned in HBR with my Sandisk 95MB/s Card. But I'm not sure how reliable this is, was just filming a static scene.

UPDATE 2: It failed to span in HBR with my Sandisk 45MB/s card.

• If it doesn't span on HBR, then the patch is almost pointless.

• I'm giving Sanity 4.1 pal a try now :) But just to be sure, do I understand it right that HBR won't span at all? In other words, when recording in HBR I'm always limited to approx 15 minutes?