Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 3: VY Canis Majoris, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion, Cluster...
  • 1046 Replies sorted by
  • Amen Brother

• @L1N3ARX Used 30mm Sigma and 85mm Samyang for this one. Glad you like it =)

• What... ;-)

• The first one is less contrasty so I guess it is the epic one.

• @woodybrando The gh2 has lots of detail into the shadows, so you can underexpose a little. I have done a test comparing the gh2 and 60d about dynamic range, you can see the amount of DR in the shadows. You also have a workflow to show that using 5dtorgb that lift the shadows. Kholi is a great resource for that.

• Sedna Q1 Olympus 45mm 1.8 , final cut x, one colour correction

• @woodybrando and others, doesn't this conversation belong in a different thread?

• @derek

it looks nice and sharp at the first sight but at the second look I wonder why the hightlights at the white sweater have blown out that much. Which picture style were you using?

• Just to show won't post again here on flat dr look.

• @Derek, hi, quick question, I see you use FCX, so do I, but I been having sound problems in the hacked clips (sedna C Q20) when I transcode them with 5dtoRGB, have you experience the same, if not, could you give me any advise as far as the work flow you use for the clips? Thank you

• Sometimes things are just a mystery...

• "Mysteron" ? Did I miss something out?

EDIT: Ah, I see. ;] @driftwood This is what they do with the new iPhones. Did You forget something on the bar in a pub?

• Are you unlocking thee experiment?

• @AlexManta I don't know if I can make it as far as Nagayo, but I will be visiting Kyoto sometime this year. Definitely let me know if you are in Tokyo and want to combine the power of our GH2's to create Mega Driftwood Sendatron 5000 ;) FYI am a big Old school Takara Transformers Otaku

• I can't seem to keep up with all these patches. I take a few days off of the forum and I'm lost. What is Sedna? How does it compare to the others? The descriptions on the first page are rather bare..

• @peaceonearth
    i use cinema , i edit final x and use mojo and some correction in post. i use to transcode ClipWrap :-)

• I just used 'Mysteron' and it turned my GH2 into an Red EPIC! ;-)

• F@#*K!!! No GH2 with me and I'm not home until late this evening, what is Mysteron? Have a shoot tomorrow, low light indoors in 50p, must be failsafe, could I use it so far?

• @Kihlian No Mysteron patch/settings/hack has been... ... Nick, you are killing me here. ;)

Edit: @Kihlian if I get to it first, I will try to post my findings.

• What is the mysteron patch on Page 1??? the graphs shows 720p 60 with spanning. Are we going away from Sedna? Got a shoot on Tuesday for a music video? I'm seeing that Sedna is now the preferred patch for quality. I will be shooting in a warehouse, so will need some good grading afterwards I'm imagining.

• There is a mysteron patch on page one. @driftwood sneaky lil' devil - thanks!

• I thought it might be helpful for us to compare testing methods and what we look for when analyzing test videos.

In my case, to keep things consistent I always rely on artificial light for the most close comparisons (a lesson hard learned a while back) which is opposite to my real world approach. I either use rooms with no windows or shoot outside at night in areas where moonlight is obscured or inconsequential vs artificial light, or on nights where there is no moon.

When shooting areas with traffic lights, I make sure to get a full cycle (all the colors) with each patch.

I find using EX mode to be helpful for emphasizing handling of fine details. On an f/1.4 lens I use apertures of f/2.8 to f/5.6 to get enough sharpness or detail depending on light. Recently I mainly compare new releases using -2 in sharpness (and always -2 for contrast and NR) for a profile of choice.

In comparing intra patches, I find focusing on the canvas in paintings in EX mode to be helpful as the balance between hard edges and lower contrast detail can emphasize the difference in various release. I will often place a visible light source near the canvas and aim it to ensure uneven light distribution to get both highlights and shadows.

Paintings with a fair number of different colors can be more helpful than more monochromatic ones at times where color handling is part of the evaluation.

For evaluating motion handling, I would like to start testing using things with regular cycles (like fans) but have not tried this yet because it has been "California cold" at my house. :)

• Mysteron: Beautiful HBR 30p WOW

• When comparing releases for static shots, I find the areas that are most clearly differentiated are those that are more diffuse or lower contrast. High contrast edges are rendered more similarly, but the difference for low contrast edges between for instance Factory and Orion is huge. Differences are also often greater in the lower half of the histogram than towards the center (though some patches obviously have differences towards highlights as well).

When evaluating footage, it is often helpful to find the areas that do not "look right" in a given shot and emphasize those in your comparison for each. These will frequently flicker a bit and you will notice differences in the level of detail fairly quickly. Sometimes using crops for smaller sections *640X360, etc) can be helpful to blow up.

Using theses methods, the slight difference between Sedna AQ1 A and C was visible, the dramatic difference vs Factory was clearly emphasized (as were the places where both perform rather well) and the Orion vs Sedna comparisons continued to be difficult to pick between.

If other people have their own methods for seeing differences (in images not tools), I would be happy to know what they are and where they are noticing the greatest differences.

Note, Firmware updates take around 3 minutes, making natural light comparisons too imprecise for comparing releases so far.

• Hey Guys, what is Mysterion patch? Where did that come out from? Is that a new name for Canis? Is it for 3.65 or 3.64... Nick, your patch creativity is going 300 mph...

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions