Personal View site logo
GH2 Cake v2.3: reliability and spanning in 720p, HBR, 24p, and VMM at 2-2.5x stock bit rates
  • 609 Replies sorted by
  • @frerichs Thanks for that. Seems 720p gets little love but it's great for internet/small scale stuff. Also has the added bonus of being able to do 1/2 speed slomo without frame blending etc. HBR is good and of course 24p but it chokes the macbookpro a little.

• @frerichs Nice! Like the black bg. Nothing to do with the pictures, but it was a bit wierd to watch because the audio is swapped L-R. Of course I realise this is just becase it's not yet mixed. Got me thinking, though, that because I come from an audio background, I should really say that the pictures are the wrong way round!

• Uploaded Cake 2.0 test 2 ... (must wait 30 min as i have free account ...) Raw MTS, you can download at vimeo...

Average rate: 31 mbit/sec

• I see loads of interlace artifacts, anyone else?

• @adventsam did you check the raw mts file ? It can be downloaded at vimeo.

• adventsam >Interlace artifacts, You mean on the red flowers? I don't think that's interlace artifacts. Using Vibrant profile probably accentuates the red channel, looks more like compression artifacts. You really have to be careful with the red, i find smooth profile dials it right down.

• Maybe it is compression, sorry. Will compare these settings with sanity, as I really want a decent hbr setting and not something that's 70+mb/sec.

• sam, check the original file. It looks just fine to me. Cake v2 in HBR mode has a max average bit rate of 45-48 Mbps.

• Some Cake v2 video (80% VMM, Vibrant -2 -2 -1 -2) from Stone Mountain:

24p judder was driving me nuts, so I was looking for stable HBR and 80% VMM settings. All the HBR video I took, no matter the patch, looked terrible, but I found out that Media Player Classic was trying to deinterlace it. With that resolved, Cake v2 is fantastic and is the only patch I've tried that is stable in all modes. I can't see a difference between 24p and 80% VMM. HBR is only slightly worse and has smaller file sizes and audio. 1080i is... not great, but I don't see why you'd use that.

Oh, and the judder is not so bad if you don't pan too fast. Thank you, balazer.

• Film modes test with Cake 2.0

• @Ashun

Great video, great work.

• Is Cake 2.0 working with firmware 1.1? Thanks in advance

• @willianaleman yes, i think it needs firmware 1.1 GH2

• feha, thanks for your response. Then, since you said: "I think," does this means that you are not sure what version of the firmware you were using during the test with Cake V2 in your recent video posted above? Thanks once again for your reply.

• @willianaleman I'm sure feha knows which firmware used, just didn't know For Certain if 1.1 is required. definitely works with firmware 1.1 - see release history in 2nd post here.

• @willianaleman I use firmware 1.1, but im not sure if Cake 2.0 will work on older GH2 firmware :-)

• arvidto and fecha, thanks for your replies. I really appreciate the info on the subject. I'm going to upload CakeV.2 with 1.1 firmware. I'm currently using CakeV1.1 with this firmware.

• Cake 2.0 NEEDS PTtools 3.64 (and thus FW1.1) because it makes important uses of Scaling Tables and GOP Tables.

• Corrected. Just got back from Galveston, where I ran comparison of latest versions of Flowmotion and Cake. Both look great on surf breaking on the seawall, even with a slow pan. 720/60P runs with no problem on Cake and Flowmotion. Ex Tele works on Cake, but not Flowmotion. Intend to use Cake as my default settings. Nice work, Balazer.

• Thanks for the reports, Ashun and CurtisMack. It's nice to think that I'm not just blowing smoke with my reliability claims. ;) Great looking video, Ashun.

• @balazer tested even on GF2, works great, thank you

• Just shot an hour long event with Cake 2.0 in EX tele mode. Worked great!!! Although it wouldn't record to my 30mb/s cards though. Got write errors after about 20 seconds.

Oh yea, and Premiere opens the spanned files with no problem. Final Cut wouldn't recognize them for life of it...

• Thanks for the feedback. Glad it worked, though I'm curious about the write errors using 30 MB/s cards. I do all of my testing with SanDisk Extreme HD Video 30 MB/s cards. What card were you using, exactly, and which video mode? And which card did you use that didn't have errors?

• It was a SanDisk Ultra 16gb 30mb/s. Upon further inspection it seems to only be a Class 6 card... crap. That's probably why...

• Excellent, Balazer, thank you so much.
    I finally found a reliable and robust patch. I have bad card class 10. Write 9.5mb/s. No problems with spanning using 1080 24H & 24L.
    No problems with spanning using FH.
    FSH-not span .
    HBR-not tested.