Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 3: VY Canis Majoris, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion, Cluster...
  • 1046 Replies sorted by
  • Is Q20 recommended over AQ1?

• Hi Nick (@driftwood),

Regaring your last comment to @rajamalik - "Try q20 Sedna A. The AQ1 version will push it and could spread the overall Q too wide from each other and is perhaps better left alone for now."...

Does it mean that for those who intent to use their footage in post (color grading etc.) it's better to keep on using Sedna A Q20 instead of Sedna A Q1?

Thanks.

• Never being so proud of my little GH2 than today. Over the weekend, my buddy requested my help for a music video shoot. He had a 5D and an AF101. I tried many times to have him let me use my GH2 but he gave me only a very limited number of shuts with it. I was using the Sedna A Q20 and after we were done, I gave him all the footage and instructions on how to use 5Dtorgb to convert them. I just got a call from him just now and first thing he said was "holyshit dude, I wish we had used your camera for all the shuts" I had the biggest smile on my face, thank you @driftwood and all that have made this little camera a monster. I will post footage as soon as post work is done.

• @feha, good to know Cluster is working well for you also. Orion vb has also done well with a 45mbs sandisk.

Orion reds didn't appear to be quite as consistent but they all have a very sharp image. I got some really nice shots with Cluster so using that for now because it doesn't use as much card space and don't have more time to test them out.

• @onionbrain That video was amazing.. Man, you really caught the "magic hour".
    I may need to try Sedna A Q20.

• hmm, weird, my optical stabilizer (on 14-140) just doesn't works well.. the image jumps from left to right, etc.. I know this is not ontopic, but is there somebody who knows what it is?

• @rajamalik Try q20 Sedna A. The AQ1 version will push it and could spread the overall Q too wide from each other and is perhaps better left alone for now. You have to remember the actual matrix is very sharpe already THATS WHY I SET IT TO Q20. Its like AQ3 or 4 of old in places. But tuned overall.

@AmandaNL That lil' film looks very promising. Good acting, expertly shot, Beautiful detail. Very watchable. Nicely composed. Well done.

• Flat light test of Sedna A.

"GH2 Shooting. Flat light. Testing for texture and noise. Sedna A holds together well. Shot 24MM Canon FD. ISO 200.No treatment in post. More directional light will tell the truth. Focus holds well. Shot at f 8 at a 60th. Vibrant setting.Cinema, 24."

Test.png
    1373 x 795 - 534K
  • @5thwall no I set it manually it was 4200 with my building lights,..set with a white a4 paper usually I do that i never leave it in auto .

• @woodybrando @liquidify ya Sedna is great but sure with some bug. Record continuously for 5 min indoor set ISO to 1250 shtr 1/50 f4.0 see after 4 or 5 min in cam monitoring gets different color tone patches here and there in the scene. Set iso to 1600 try neat video doesn't goes so clean even after 100% set,.. Color grading in magic looks was better in Orion. the cosmos response is less may be due to more darkness and sharpness in the skin. I don't know tried full day. and patched back to Orion v4b an hour ago.

• @rajamalik did you have auto white balance turned on? if so, the tones will change over time, especially on outdoor footage.

• In post I found few problem in color grading and near video in Vegas pro 11 seems to works well with Orion v4b than Sedna A aq1,..did any one tested these? then the darkness is but high than normal,..Orion v4b does natural,..Sedna A is not stable to Rec showed different tone Incam monitor after 4min of continuous recording. I feel it's great but not the one for me. I will better stick to Orion v4b never had a problem so far,..very good in post

• @rajamalik, what is it that you are not so happy about. Seems pretty great to me. Very sharp and beautiful. I ilke it indoors especially.

• @AmandaNL Amazing, well done!

• @rajamalik what differences are you seeing between Sedna A aq1 and Orion v4b? I'm really liking Sedna. Recorded a man catching on fire saturday (controlled of course :) using sedna and it looked great

• Not so happy with Sedna A aq1 I am patching back to Orion v4b Sedna is good but dont know sort of attachment. I am happy I tested it for one day. Anybody merged v4b with aq1 setting??

• @Karon no problem with autofocus. I am using 14-140 and 100-300 panny with Sedna A Aq1 now used Orion v4b for almost 6 shootouts. autofocus works superb. the problem is only the low light if exposure us below -3 lens fails to focus on subject keep lights up well try to keep exposure in 0 all the time you will be fine with af servo and cont

• @islanders66 I'm also using Cluster v1 and it works great and stable on 32gb SanDisk Extreme HD 30mb/s. It spans on HBR 25 and average 30 -38 mbps.

• Today we took some time to make an first edit of our new film "Cowboy". All shot with @driftwood Quantum X (v4d Orion) 'Dark Matter v3'.

There's still some work for this project is finished but we are very happy with the footage :-)

password is: cowboy

• Canis Majoris: the red star? :) so subtile

• @Karon I noticed with some of my testing that 720p auto focus is a lot better than 24p. No awful hunting or breathing with 720p. More light will also help. I always try to use manual focus but sometimes, as you mentioned, I'll try both in a difficult situation because at the end of the day auto focus may salvage a few shots.

BTW I'm using Cluster for now. Waiting for the next one, Canis Majoris, that I think will sort out the weak points of the recent patches and be more reliable for a good class 10 card like sandisk extreme 30mbs and above.

• @Karon Could have something to do with v1.11 itself or your lens. I doubt it'd be specifically a hack setting. @thepalalias Its an oddity. Sometimes its fine, make sure you record a small file after a long one. Have a look a the .CPI files on the clipinfo folder is matching - see if any corruption is there.

• Also, though I did not compare to other settings, Sedna AQ1 A looks great on kittens oddly fascinated by shoelaces.

• Has anyone else been having the following (kind of odd) issue with patch updates? I first encountered it yesterday when I did something new on 64GB Transcend SDXC.

1. Update Firmware using the Transcend card and film on it.
    2. Same thing with a different patch on a different card.
    3. Come back to the 1st Transcend card and repeat 1. etc.

At some point the card (while still showing the correct time remaining) stopped showing any of the older clips on the card during playback mode. As in I would be in clip 20 and couldn`t see anything but the most recent 1 or 2.

When I got back to the computer, I could see all of them. Not sure if it is related to Sedna at all but it showed up for the first time while using a Sedna patch so I mention it here.

• Sedna B matrix 25p HBR with 7-14 Panny lens producing around 70M on the bitrate.

LightRays - Sedna 25p HBR - Pana 7-14mm lens.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Sussex Downs - Sedna 25p HBR - Pana 7-14mm lens.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Shoreham2 - Sedna 25p HBR - Pana 7-14mm lens.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Shoreham - Sedna 25p HBR - Pana 7-14mm lens.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Stroll - Sedna 25p HBR - Pana 7-14mm lens.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions