Personal View site logo
Panasonic GH2 with UHS-I and SDXC
  • 59 Replies sorted by
  • Can anyone definitely answer whether a fast uhs card will give us any advantage in the gh2? The tom's hardware test is excellent.

Will the gh2's IO hardware get any advantage out of these uhs cards? or will they simply perform like a class 10?

With the bitrates flying around in the hack, I think we all could use the fastest cards, as long as the gh2 can take advantage of the speed.
  • Yeah I had the Panasonic 22mbps class 10 card and I sold it cause I thought it was the card...but even the faster card has that issue. I just gave up on using Ex-Tele ...
  • @No_SuRReNDeR

Your Sandisk Extreme pro is an UHS-I card. It works well in Gh2 but not faster as a class 10 card.

This point with ex-tele is very funny. I have the same issue. Ex-tele in 720p mode on --> card error

It seems to be the processing power.
  • Will the new UHS-I cards even work in the GH2?... B and H is selling them now..I don't think Ill need one though, my 32gb San disc extreme pro 45mbps card seems Ok .I only get the card slow error when I use Ex-tele and only @720p60 it seems...so I don't think its the cards fault.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/-Panasonic-UHS/ci/17997/N/4191274759
  • I'm going to buy a sdhc to better test the hack. Now i have a lexar class 4 and it doesn't go above the 40mbit. I'm going to buy a kingston class 10 do you think that it is good? Better a transcend? What bitrate they can hold?
    I'd like to buy a sdxc but they're fucking expensive
  • Any difference in speed between a Sandisk SHDC Extreme 8GB or 16GB? Shouldn't they have the same read/write speeds? I thought I've read there are some differences.
  • Got a class 10, 16GB Sandisk SHDC "Extreme - 30MB/s - HD Video" (yes, they are on the website ;o) ).

My monitor's inbuilt card reader :oS gives the following results:
    Write speed: 16.5 MByte / s
    Read speed: 19.6 MByte / s
    but apparently I may need a better card reader to hit the limit (see http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/compactflash-sdhc-class-10,2574-4.html)

GH2 test to come when I get it .... UHS-I will have to wait for next month when I have spare cash for "testing"...
  • @daihard this was a couple of years ago, for a totally different device (i.e. one with microSD slot). Point was the thing was comfortably over-spec and knocking at the door of the next speed class. Take-home message being that the speed-class number is merely a minimum (and refers to read speed AFAIK).

Couldn't say about the lag, new gear still in the post :o) . SXDC is > 32GB rather than speed per se (officially supported on GH2 AFAICT, but their website is kinda vague), and yes, UHS-I is much faster read speed in supporting devices, but write performance is uncertain (early benchmarks showed relative slowness, the interesting question is whether it has improved)

@dkitsov h2testw is free & gives write speed while writing and average write speed when done, and writes / verifies pseudo-random data to be sure that it's stored and not overwritten as on some false-capacity knock-offs... no graphs or other niceness though.
  • I've invested in Transcend Class 10 16/32Gs mostly. The only time i've noticed a lag is when recording in 1080i on my GH2.
    Is this lag due to my card?
    Is there really a HUGE difference in these class 10s and SDXC or UHS-I??
  • @madact
    To add, micro? aren't you worried about the adaptor and any loose connections/loss in data transfer/etc... basically, why micro? cost?
  • @madact Right, so that is why I am not sure if TachHD is a good utility to test SD cards (it does do the write/read tests though)
  • FWIW I have a Sandisk microSD card at class 4 / 32GB, which has read & write speeds not quite up to, but very close to, the class 6 spec.

Apparently UHS-I does use extra pins in UHS devices - but what with write speed being generally much less than read speed for SD cards, I suspect that the limiting factor here is the flash memory itself, rather than the bus.

Of course, it's write speed, not read speed, that we're all interested in, right? ;o)
  • My Extreme HD video card has a 30MB/s rating on it. It cost less than my 45MB/s card with a UHS-1 marking on it. The both seem to have the same speed when read by USB 3 reader...
  • @dkitsov

The Sandisk Extreme Video is an UHS-I Card, too.

@dazza

I tested an UHS-I Card (Sandisk extreme pro 45MB/s) in a non UHS compatible reader. It was strange. With little blocks it was as slower as a class 6 card, an with 1MB blocks it runs at 45MB/s.

In the GH2 the UHS-I has the same writing speed as a class 10 transcend card.
  • That's strange I thought the new UHS-1 standard actually had physical changes to the BUS. Does that mean 45MB/s isn't exceeding the throughput of the current interface? Maybe there are latency changes?

Would be interesting if you could test those 2 cards in a non UHS compatible reader, though the UHS card shouldn't work at all, right?
  • I just bought a new Lexar USB3 card reader, which I connect to a USB3 port, that sits on a card that is on a PCI-E bus and then I run an HDtach test (not sure how well it works with SD cards) on two different SD cards I have.
    1st - SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS-1 45MB/s 16GB. It returned 45MB/s peak and the same sustained (as expected).
    Then I tested My SanDisk Extreme HD video class 10 30MB/s 16Gb. And guess what - 45MB/s peak, 45 MB/s sustained. I am speechless.
    PS. @Vitaliy_Kiselev Cannot attach a screenshot, get an "Internal Error could not move file" error
  • @cinegraphy:

Don´t worry, you don´t have bought a chinese faked sdcard.

Germanys greatest electronic market sells exactly the same cards you showed on your picture with UHS-I
    written on it. On the card itself is written a litte 1, so I think that means UHS-I.
  • I had two 16 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS I Cards, but they´re on the way back to vendor.
    I compared it to my Transcend class 6 card in Photo Raw burst mode and it was only a little faster when writing full buffer to card.

The other thing, I got writing errors (camera freezing) with my GH2 hacked in 720p60 Mode (30Mbit/s) and the Transcend class 6 went fine with the same settings.

No, 45€ (16GB) is too much money. I ordered two Transcend 32GB class 10 for the same money:-)
  • @last_SHIFT you wrote, you have one too, or did you mean something else? What does the package say in your case
    I'll check with H2test in a sec, DL'ed it but still have to find out, how this works...
    Don't think it's fake though, like last_SHIFT writes: "outperforms my old Transcend Class 10" - exactly like that for me... So when fake, at least it's a good fake, haha!
  • Mine are 16GB SanDisk Extreme Pro 45MB/sec UHS-1. Got them from B&H in new packaging. Tested them with ATTO Benchmark and they came in just a little bit faster than my Panasonic Class 10 cards - that I got direct from Panasonic.
  • The same advice always applies, don't by cards off ebay.
  • We may well have some sample contamination here - time to google "fake flash" methinks.

@evanflys no idea what cards you tested there - Make? Model? Real, fake, or suspicious?

@cinegraphy have you verified the capacity?

The program "h2testw" verifies capacity and also reports write speed...
  • sandisk website failed to return any info on a UHS-1 card with 30MBps...
    China's craftsmen are amazing...
  • Anyway since it's fast and not too expensive, maybe it's good to keep this in mind, if you want to buy a fast card (of course supposing, at least all cards of this model behave the same)
  • That's not what the package says though, I've made a photo for you - like I said, maybe there's different implementations of UHS-1?
    foto_cropped.jpg
    800 x 347 - 143K