Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic GH2 with UHS-I and SDXC
  • 59 Replies sorted by
  • I've invested in Transcend Class 10 16/32Gs mostly. The only time i've noticed a lag is when recording in 1080i on my GH2.
    Is this lag due to my card?
    Is there really a HUGE difference in these class 10s and SDXC or UHS-I??
  • @daihard this was a couple of years ago, for a totally different device (i.e. one with microSD slot). Point was the thing was comfortably over-spec and knocking at the door of the next speed class. Take-home message being that the speed-class number is merely a minimum (and refers to read speed AFAIK).

Couldn't say about the lag, new gear still in the post :o) . SXDC is > 32GB rather than speed per se (officially supported on GH2 AFAICT, but their website is kinda vague), and yes, UHS-I is much faster read speed in supporting devices, but write performance is uncertain (early benchmarks showed relative slowness, the interesting question is whether it has improved)

@dkitsov h2testw is free & gives write speed while writing and average write speed when done, and writes / verifies pseudo-random data to be sure that it's stored and not overwritten as on some false-capacity knock-offs... no graphs or other niceness though.
  • Got a class 10, 16GB Sandisk SHDC "Extreme - 30MB/s - HD Video" (yes, they are on the website ;o) ).

My monitor's inbuilt card reader :oS gives the following results:
    Write speed: 16.5 MByte / s
    Read speed: 19.6 MByte / s
    but apparently I may need a better card reader to hit the limit (see http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/compactflash-sdhc-class-10,2574-4.html)

GH2 test to come when I get it .... UHS-I will have to wait for next month when I have spare cash for "testing"...
  • Any difference in speed between a Sandisk SHDC Extreme 8GB or 16GB? Shouldn't they have the same read/write speeds? I thought I've read there are some differences.
  • I'm going to buy a sdhc to better test the hack. Now i have a lexar class 4 and it doesn't go above the 40mbit. I'm going to buy a kingston class 10 do you think that it is good? Better a transcend? What bitrate they can hold?
    I'd like to buy a sdxc but they're fucking expensive
  • Will the new UHS-I cards even work in the GH2?... B and H is selling them now..I don't think Ill need one though, my 32gb San disc extreme pro 45mbps card seems Ok .I only get the card slow error when I use Ex-tele and only @720p60 it seems...so I don't think its the cards fault.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/-Panasonic-UHS/ci/17997/N/4191274759
  • @No_SuRReNDeR

Your Sandisk Extreme pro is an UHS-I card. It works well in Gh2 but not faster as a class 10 card.

This point with ex-tele is very funny. I have the same issue. Ex-tele in 720p mode on --> card error

It seems to be the processing power.
  • Yeah I had the Panasonic 22mbps class 10 card and I sold it cause I thought it was the card...but even the faster card has that issue. I just gave up on using Ex-Tele ...
  • Can anyone definitely answer whether a fast uhs card will give us any advantage in the gh2? The tom's hardware test is excellent.

Will the gh2's IO hardware get any advantage out of these uhs cards? or will they simply perform like a class 10?

With the bitrates flying around in the hack, I think we all could use the fastest cards, as long as the gh2 can take advantage of the speed.
  • Well regardless I am glad I got the 45mbit sandisk...at least I get faster transfers from card to computer and with the cost being so low...I really dont get why ANYONE insists on using old class 6 card etc....
  • I just got a Kingston 233x ultimateXX 8gb card, hoping that I would get fantastic bitrates out of it. According to tom's hardware (article linked above) it is capable of writing at 40MB/s=320 mbps which is enough for a red one, but it actually failed where my 30MB (actually 20 MB/s when tested to write) Sandisk extreme (not pro) card succeeded.

I can only hope the card is fine but its just the GH2 can't push it to its limits but why is the sandisk out performing it?

• I tested out a couple other sd cards, the extreme "HD video" card, the extreme pro, and the Panasonic UHS-I (b&w) 8 gb card.

At least on the gh2 there is almost no difference in performance between these 3 cards and the standard sandisk extreme sd card.

Once you get beyond 147 mbps ave/240 max on the gh2 they all crash pretty easily, but they all outperformed the Kingston card oddly enough. According to the test at tom's Hardware the kingston card should have outperformed the rest.

At insane settings like 160 mbps, the extreme card crashed in 2 seconds where the other 3 could record a motionless shot without crashing, but put any motion at all and they all crashed too.

• @pedro
    Do you think that SDXC card like Trascend 64 GB (class 10) can be formated inside GH2 like ExFat, in order to avoid crash records over 4 GB size files?
  • @paglez
    As we checked, GH2 seems not to work with exFAT cards.
  • @vitaliy, So you cannot just format a SDHC card to exfat making the GH2 think its a SDXC card?, you have to buy a SDXC card as its different from a SDHC in terms of its internal components?
  • So lets make this clear...

All SDXC cards (no matter what class they are) will not work on GH2.
    All SDXC cards are exFAT.

Therefore, this means that no one has a SD card (SDHC to be specific) higher than 32 GB in capacity working on their hacked GH2, right?

For that matter, at a data rate of 32/mbps you can record for how many minutes/hours with a 32 GB card?
  • @TekPneumaN

Sorry but your post is complete BS. Have a look at:
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/1491/95mbs-sandisk-extreme-pro-spanning-reports-64gig-sdxc

In relation to your post:
    1) All SDXC cards (no matter what class they are) will not work on GH2.
    no
    2) All SDXC cards are exFAT
    no

The SD authority allowed SDXC to use format a 'partition' as Fat32. (So its Fat32, inside exFat).

Sorry for the tone, just working with my SDXC 64 gig card now and NO problems... The thing is a tank...
  • I don't give 2 shits about your tone. I just want a straight $%^&* answer. Nonetheless, thank you for your reply. :)
  • 64Gb 95mbps SDXC works as Al says.
  • I don't know why I haven't been able to find anyone else having this problem, but with my card, it won't show up on my mac. It just says it can't be mounted. I tried restarting (both with and without the card in and on) and I've even tried various degrees of the "partially-in" trick. No luck.

I have two macbooks, one is a 2008 and one is 2007 or maybe 06, they have pretty recent versions and all... I can't figure out what to do. I've shot a video that I'd really like to import, so is there anyway to do this without losing the card contents too?

• Hi @kingmixer,

Ok- this is what you do. NOTHING is wrong with your cards whatsoever! So NO1: DON'T FORMAT ANYTHING AT ALL.

What is wrong is that your laptop doesn't accept SDXC. Is is a common issue. Newer MacBookPros accept SDXC and are super speed as well. What you have to do is make sure you are using either 10.6.4< or 10.7<

Also purchase an SDXC card reader- such as Sandisk or Lexar. (make sure its a new one- with SDXC UHS1)

If you have any issues PM me.

• Thank you for the quick and comprehensive response. I'll try updating my version if it'll let me. But it won't import through the GH2?

• I have a Questions Guys.. I bought a Extreme Pro 16GB ... Its rated at 95MB/s 633X... When i started recording video it kept saying card is not fast enough or something like that.. I was a pain in the ass.. It would record 20 seconds then 45, then 20, then 2 minutes.. its weird.. I have hacked my GH2.. with the Orion 4D, but people have been using those hacks with no problems.. Also how do you format the SD cards inside the camera?

• @WRLEO - I believe the 64GB make of that card is the one that works the best with the GH2.