Personal View site logo
Special deals: Carbon video tripods and monopods
  • 88 Replies sorted by
  • Any movement in the head after you lock it down? Would be interested in your estimation of the legs robustness

• My FC-04H and carbon fiber tripod arrived yesterday. Out of the box I'm extremely happy with it. Things that surprised me: - The head is smaller than I was expecting - The system is lighter tan my old tripod but with 3x the features - love it! - The counterbalance works great - ignore the video above, that guy doesn't have enough weight on the rig to activate the counterbalance - Zero kickback on pans and tilts

I have a shoot on the weekend and another mid-week so I'll have a much better idea of how well the system holds up in action. Hopefully I'll have time to shoot a little video review.

Thanks V.K. for a great deal.

• Looking forward to order. Keep up the great deals!

• I'm thinking of picking up the FC-04H from this deal but I'm put off by the lack of in-depth info out there. No reviews, videos or much of anything. If there are any forum members who have purchased the kit in this deal, I'd love hear your thoughts on it especially if you have had past experience with Manfrotto, Sachtler etc. and can compare the FC-04H to similarly priced products.

Feel free to pm me so as to keep this thread clean. Cheers!

• @alfred

I already told you to use PM. Review that you are showing is not review of the head on this deal. And legs that here are cheapest and unstable aluminum stuff, instead of best Weifeng 75mm carbon legs we offer.

• I found an interesting review of the fancier FC-04H :

Maybe for the tilts the head does not have the right spring. But the pans show, that the tripod is not stable enough?

• @RRRR

I suggest to use PM and be more specific.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I'm curious about the heavier Weifeng gear (after checking out their website), do you think there is any possibility for upcoming deals concerning the 900 series? If so, what kind of prices are we talking about?

• @Vitaliy Thanks for quick response! If I understand correctly, this is Weifeng QR-plates/system? Available in this deal? If so, what is the cost?

• @evero

You can get extra QR plates and mount them on top of any other :-)

• @Vitaliy do you think there is still chance of a QR system in this deal? I hope to go with a "FC-04H Mod Fluid head + CT7402 legs" and a QR system + an extra plate

• @oscillian

Yep it is possible. If you mean removable rubber feet on 7402 and 7401.

• @vk is it possible to replace the feet on weifeng tripods? I'm planning on getting a carbon tripod and put rubber feet on it, suction cup style with swivel ball, as seen on the monopods.

• I had a chance to use these tripods and a couple of the video heads at CES, courtesy of Lily. These are nice tripods and have a smooth feel to them in head movement. The fluid head is smaller and lighter than my huge 501 head or my studio tripod that I use for events, but seemed ideal for any DSLR and would likely be fine up to my XH A1.

The 717AH head on the carbon fiber legs would be a good package for hiking and any activity where you need to be moving around. You can see an enthusiastic review of the 717AH head on youtube at

He wishes he gotten it instead of the 701 head and ended up getting two of the 717AH heads.

• Thanks @mythmaker I had the same idea (that ground spreader is more ore less only for studio work). So the mid-spreader version is the more allround solution.

Anyone that disagrees with this?

• BTW re: my earlier (and very confusing post about QR plate set-ups) I've figured out what solution will work best for my needs and have a couple of Giottos MH621's on the way.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Giottos-MH621-Quick-Release-System-Complete-/180698055948?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1271850c#ht_4775wt_1030

• @Psyco

I've used both in the past. When I was working with big Arri 35mm BL4's, Panaflexes etc. we usually had a set of heavy-duty Ronford Baker legs (with the flat, notched Mitchell mount). These legs always had ground-level spreaders and honestly they were a pain in the ass. They made it hard to close the sticks when loading into the truck so we usually had to remove the spreaders. Removing something like this increased the risk of it getting left behind in the rush and meant we were always having to clean them.

There's a lot of debate as to which is better - a lot of people swear that ground-level spreaders are make for a more stable set-up but I'm not convinced, especially in regards to using a DSLR rig which is a helluva lot lighter than a Panaflex with a 1000' magazine on the back and a 3:1 zoom on the front!

If you're in studio based environments 100% of the time, MAYBE a ground-level spreader is better, if not, for me it's mid-level all the way.

• I just got the 717AH and I'm quite impressed to be honest.

• The CT-7401 and CT-7402 legs look very good. But which one to get?

Can anybody with more experience give an advice, what are the (dis-)advantages of a spreader at half hight vs. at the base of the legs (especially people using CT-7401 or CT-7402).

• Why is stepless better? Its been a few years, but I used to use a lot of high-end film production gear (I worked as a camera assistant on big Hollywood type shows years ago) and all the high-end Sachtler's, Cartoni's etc. had stepped adjustment. I don't remember if the O'Connor heads did or not.

Yes, my post was confusing but it's hard to explain! LOL Don't worry, I'm not such a clueless newbie as to try mounting 75mm bowl heads to flat bases :) What I'm asking about is if E-Image heads have a similar quick release option as the Manfrotto 577 like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/241139-REG/Manfrotto_577_577_Rapid_Connect_Adapter.html

I want a QR plate attached to the bottom of my camera (or my soon to be ordered Lanparte rig!) and several of the lower plates that the QR plate slides into that I can attach to other accessories such as Glidecam, slider and jib etc. so that I don't have to waste time unscrewing my camera from one accessory to the other. Make sense?

I can't tell from the pictures if the E-Image heads have this option since the sliding mount for the quick release plate appears to be curved and doesn't have screw threads for 3/8" and 1/4"

• @mythmaker

It is very hard to find logic in your post.

First. FC-04H head has drag adjustment for pan and tilt and it is stepless (and this is best option). Sae with legs in your listed kits, they are no competition.

Second, If you want many QR plates, just ask, it is possible.

Third. Why you need mount heads designed for bowls on flat base?

• I've been researching these tripod kits - the one in the deal looks great but I've also been looking at the EI-7060A2 and the 7063AA which is pricier but has the stepped pan/tilt adjustment and counter balance and I'm looking to future proofing. Mr problem with these kits that I can't get an answer to is regarding the Quick Release plate options. I'm wanting to get a couple of extra QR plates and sliding mounts for other accessories such as the Glidecam but these E-Image heads (other than the 717) don't seem to have a flat bottom with the 1/4" and 3/8" screw holes... Any suggestions? Would my best option be to use the Manfrotto 577 QR plate and just mount that to the E-Image head QR plate? I'd rather not raise my camera too much and make counter balancing too hard.

• >Does it come with the ball head pictured?

Yep.

I think 717AH is better than Manfrotto 701.

But can't say anything about legs.
    All such legs are more oriented to photo applications.
    You can look at Nest for video oriented legs. But they are much more pricier.
  • Has anyone bought the FT-6663?

Wondering how it compares quality wise to the Manfrotto 190cxPro3/055cxPRo3?

Does it come with the ball head pictured?

How does the 717AH fluid head compare to the Manfrotto 701?
  • Just picked up my E-image 7050H, supposedly the pro version of Weifeng 717, whatever that means.

Very smooth, good counterweight, makes my 10 yr old Manfrotto feel like a dinosaur.

I was actually keen on the EI 7060H, which can take a greater payload of up to 8kg, but the price difference is like $150. Also, the shop that I went to doesn't package the 7060 with a bag.