Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 2: Sedna A, B, C
  • 1030 Replies sorted by
  • filmed with the pictoris patch "orion matrix" and a very good denoise profile with neat noise. iso 3200 / nostalgic mode color -2 / for the next party i will try the new dark matter patch

• @driftwood YYYYEEEESSSS!!!! You have become my personal hero! How many pints of beer do you want, when I am around? Tested with VRB Rocket v3 RC. Easy import to FCP7 of all three setups. One plays well. The Data:

Patches for testers-GOP Related

Unhacked original firmware v1.1 GOP Related 1080i/50: 1, 3, 3, 1, 8, 8

Unhacked original firmware v1.1 GOP Related 1080i/60: 1, 4, 4, 1, 10, 10

Quantum X (v3b Rocket) Same as original firmware. Boxes were unchecked.

The results: 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0 in 1080i/50. The described errors, but not as bad as before.

1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0 in 1080i/50. one glitch in 30 seconds, but I did not record any longer.

1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0 No glitch, but I did also only record 30 seconds.

To my eye, the motion in all three mods does not look so smooth, like it was filmed with higher shutter. Or do I delude myself?

All the best, Frame

• Looking at how v3 handles light fall-off.

ETC mode, btw...

Screen shot 2012-03-06 at 11.50.13 AM.png
    1280 x 800 - 937K
  • @Frame I reckon it should be 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0 one for i frame even and one for P frame odd (bottom field). I havent had time to calc 1080i/HBR yet thats why it needed confirming.

@All: HBR mode change GOP Related 1080i60 and 1080i50 to;-

1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0

and confirm clipwrap, etc... works better.

INFO for those who want to know whats going on: Example default GOP for 1080i 50 =24 GOP, therefore;- That would work GOP out as follows;- iBbPBbPBbPBbPBbPBbPBbPBb If you count each frame type - the sum for this GOP is one i frame, 7 P frames, 16 B frames = 24GOP. (see streamparser it confirms this) However the weighting looks strange in GOP Related;-

1, 3, 3, 1, 8, 8

This is because you have to take into consideration and weight correctly the upper field and lower field for interlace. With GOP1 its simple. one i frame and one odd p frame even though its GOP1 its really 2 fields;- upper is encoded as Intra, lower field is encoded as P predictive frame.

• 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, correct. Does this alter quality much? What about smoothness of motion?

• more "lit" version-

320 iso 60 I have to say that I am still loving Dark matrix v3.

Screen shot 2012-03-06 at 12.08.40 PM.png
    1280 x 800 - 951K
  • someone should test the dark matter patch with 3200 iso please, i will test it in the next days

• Very nice clip @pop24 good to see happy people those days.

• @rockroadpix WOW! One screenshot on bright light?

• @driftwood How will 'dark matter' work during the day? or should we stick with orion regular? I like the screenshot @rockroadpix

its not hard to swap, but just curious as to what were the changes?

• @JPB1138 It looks good in daytime too. The old Orion Matrix is my scaled version of the official AVC Intra matrix. Both are good!

• @Frame Well its all Intra predicted motion - ie it takes its prediction from itself (its own adjacent macroblocks) - it doesnt have to sample other reference frames like long gop has to do - less errors - but sometimes the motion looks peculiar. Motion estimation is not used in intra frames: Intra frames do not refer to other frames, making them suitable as key frames.

• @driftwood - First tests of Dark Matter matrix v3 are looking very good, in fact, maybe the best I've seen yet. I'll upload some footage this evening.

• *** NEW *** Orion 4d 'Dark Matter' Matrix Pack - This is the same as 4c with HBR/1080i modes GOP Related Fix.

Driftwood Quantum X (v4d Orion) CBR - Q8 - HBR Fixed - Updated 18.30pm 06032012 with the 'Dark Matter' Matrix Pack- setghi.zip
  • @Stray Thank you, this explain it all! So basically, it works around to make a "as costant as possible bitrate" in a VBR environment. I was getting crazy checking what was wrong in the camera. But why Dark matter v3 it's supposed to have the best quality of all the patches in 1080p24 when, so far in our tests, it has an average of 30Mbps less than the normal Orion?

• @terry2 Here's Streamparser's interpretation of your file you sent me. It's fine. 144, 256, 608 (144M)

terry2.png
    1286 x 675 - 66K
  • SORRY, I have to correct myself: Suddenly the HBR field issue came back again with 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0....? Made two other recordings in

Rocket VBR v3

after my post on 5:59, camera was untouched, only switched off for some minutes. Suddenly, all the jerky 2nd field overlays are back from the very first frame, in a 14sec recording as well as in a 2min.recording. So only the very first recording I did after flashing to Rocket VBR v3 with 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0 was o.k. Will try Orion 4D now. All the best, Frame

• @Frame Ive not been around much today to test as my daughter is in hospital and she comes first. So keep trying a few more weights out if you would?

Try this too;- 1,1,0,1,1,0,0

• @driftwood screw us man all the best to your daughter =)

• @terry2 Not sure what you're seeing, but I definitely have not seen a drop off in bitrate that large shooting with 24p. It has been very constant with a variety of shots. As in, I'm getting the same bitrate as I would get with the pre dark matter Orion. Also, 'quality' is going to get very subjective with changes made by the matrix YMMV etc. Edit : Caveat, I am shooting with v1 of 4d, not v3.

• first thing i noticed with the 4d v3 is the very small file size loss of info ?

• @driftwood, Very best wishes to you and your family.

• I'll put up some samples from some of the different hacks. Shot this with SpanMyBitch 24L - Jeff Cronenweth Interview. watch it here:

warning: it was just me, handheld with a camera in an audience... bad quality

Then I shot a some other stuff on the 'Baby Orion' @ 24L and I believe the quality was better. Changed ISO after the first two(host and 1st comedian)

SpanMyBitch_JCronenweth.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 163K
    'β Pictoris' 24L stand up01 ISO_640.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 180K
    'β Pictoris' 24L stand up02 ISO_640.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 134K
    'β Pictoris' 24L stand up03 ISO_1250.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 191K
    'β Pictoris' 24L stand up04 ISO_1250.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 191K
    'β Pictoris' 24L stand up05 ISO_1250.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 180K
    'β Pictoris' 24L stand up06 ISO_1250.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 186K
  • Wordpress added a local path to the start of the link. I converted it to a direct link and it works now.

@mozes @rockroadpix @Mr_Moore @proaudio4 Thanks for letting me know there was an issue. I didn't want to use Vimeo because I'm uploading a lot of other files this week.

Also, the download rate should be faster on this server. We'll see.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions