Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 2: Sedna A, B, C
  • 1030 Replies sorted by
  • @thepalalias, thank you for sharing your test. Why is Quantum X V4C Dark Matter V1 &V2 brighter than the others? The last is clip, V3B Rocket, is also bright, however, it appears some other light source is present. So much information to distill in this thread.

• @WhiteRabbit

Thanks for the comment.

The clips you mentioned have clouds illuminated by the moon in the background. Both the clouds and moon were moving a lot over the course of the night. The clips don't play in the order shot.

Rocket V3B was shot around 6:30PM. (You can see the moon in the frame).

Orion 4B was shot around 7:00PM.

Dark Matter V2 was shot around 7:30PM.

Dark Matter V3 was shot around 8:00PM.

Dark Matter V1 was shot around 8:30PM.

The time to update the firmware and shoot the footage (4 ISO settings, with and without EX teleconverter mode at 24H, SH, 80% and HBR mode when possible) took 18-30 minutes (and usually at least 32 clips) per patch.

That was depending on how efficient I was being, whether I shot any additional footage and whether or not I was also eating or cooking ;)

• Not sure if this makes a difference (most of the ISO noise bug discussions were before ISO limit got unlocked) but in all the comparisons above, ISO 10,000 was approached by moving to the right from ISO 5,000.

It was not approached by moving from ISO 12,800 to 10,000.

• @pop24 i tested dark v3 with iso 3200.. see v1 v2 and v3 all of them has visible noise above iso 1600.... u can clearly note some minor noises above 1600 iso,..and it is very clearly visible above iso 2000,..and beyond,..i kept myself below 1600iso in every test,... i feel orion v4b dark v1 v2 and v3 only shows difference highlights and contrast,,..low light performance is the same,..

• @driftwood orion v4b is better than dark matter v1 ,2,3 ,.... i personally feel that your previous v4b's official intra matrix is far better than these,... the low light results are more or less near,in some shots they look same in high iso and noise levels..only the highlight contrast and slight brightness is been adjusted by default,.....but superb work sir,..for film makers they have choice now,... they can try shooting a thriller out of the dark matter patches,...they look great when it comes to highlighted super toned scenes

• @driftwood a suggestion sir can it be a 2 patch one for day and one for low light / night,.... a orion v4b & a finalized orion v5 dark matter ????

• @driftwood Best wishes and health to your daughter

• Thanks for the tips, hah, I could really use the help, I could really us the faster glass. and in addition to @rajamalik check out these test shots from Orion v4 here. I also love that setting!

• @thepalalias, thank you for the explaination. I was thinking, perhaps the aforementioned Dark Matter patches were giving a super ISO boost, or the like. :D To be honest, I am confused as to which is the best to use. I shoot a lot of RC Drift, indoors at night. I struggle with sufficient light. I try to stay at ISO 1600, as ISO above introduces considerable noise, from my experience with v1.0 firmware and I apply @driftwood's patches. Footage still looks great, imo, thank you VK and ND. Things are moving so fast...

• Finally managed to upload the weekends video up to Vimeo. Impressed with the amount of detail a Canon FD with and anamorphic attachment can resolve. Smooth + Orion can 4b give a very nice flat image to work with. Can't wait to try out Dark Matter 4c v3.

• @thepalalias thanks for the test. It seems a bit difficult though to really comment on performance when the light is different between shots. I thought at first the dark matter patches give much better low light performance, but apparently there's actually more light in the scene?

• @WhiteRabbit @johnnym

You're both right - it's tricky to tell without more controlled lighting. I shot another set of tests today with a much faster turnaround (7 minutes instead of 18-30), but even so the light difference made it tricky.

I guess I'll just have to suck it up and do one with (a small amount of) artificial light instead.

• @leejb4 Which version of Orion V4d did you use? Looks nice!

• @proaudio4 I was using the "Driftwood Quantum X (v4b Orion) CBR 'Settings' for ptools 3.64d" patch when it first came out. Definitely one of my favorites.

• @Driftwood. Wish the best for your daughter's recovery and peace of mind for the family.

• Just quickly testing out Orion v4C

• Is the Orion 4vb or 4c patch better than Quantum v9b? (all on firmware 1.1). I don't hear anyone complaining about noise with v9b but lots of noise related issues with 4vb or 4c.

• @thoughts2uk

The lighting is different, but you can see the SH modes for all the Orion variants as well as Quantum 5 and 9 in the comparison videos I put up earlier in this thread.

• test footage using orion v4b cinema profile 0,0,-2,-2 35mm1.4,85mm1.4

• play back in media player is smooth, but editing in vegas pro 11 the play back is choppy. skips 20 frames or so. once rendered plays smooth. im running a 3.43 quad core i7, 16 gb ram and 6770 graphics cards. going to get a gtx 580 soon. is it something in vegas making footage skip ? thanks

• @driftwood, sorry to hear that. I hope everything is alright.

Loading 4d for HBR/25p. Will see how it goes. (incidentally I loaded the dark matter v3 matrix, seti)

Passes handheld death chart at about 78mbps according to file report, 86.7mbps in Stream Parser, passes outdoor scene (which is always a tougher test for me than a death chart) at about 89mbps according to file report, 85mbps in Stream Parser, appears stable, time to examine footage.

Death chart file crashes MPC, a few seconds through, appears interlaced in playback (Though may be playing back at 50i causing combing), some kind of flash on the frame it crashes on. Outdoor footage plays fine and looks good.

Okay according to stream-parser you are getting a "V"-frame (grey bar) on the death chart footage, the outdoor footage which has always been a tougher test and crashed in some cases where death chart passes are all I-frames, outdoor including rapid movement all hit about 440k I-frame size with almost no variation.

On the death chart footage the elementary stream decoder is only able to decode the first frame, as frame 2 is a V-frame.

When I play the death chart footage in stream parser, it looks like there is white flames coming from the bottom of the right corner of the picture..

The grey bars are reported as V-frames.

As for the outdoor footage which is all I-frames.. the QP is reported as 8, min 6, and max from 24 (lowest) to 35 (highest) for the first 100 frames, the biggest range being 30. The number of skipped blocks is 53 (the lowest) to 147 (highest).

On NTSC death chart, trick mode is activated, max stream speed is 307mbps, bitrate is 83.8mbps, everything bar the first frame is a V-frame, they are all about 355k with almost no variation. Skipped blocks at the bottom on playback and same flames (I'd say an artefact of the white on black death chart and skipping).

• @ driftwood- thinking of you and yours right now...

• Shooting the same scene with HBR 25p and Cinema 24p settings with Orion 4d ( has it got that far) and dark matter 3. It's a lot of trees blowing and a pretty standard test shot for me to see how much detail the camera picks up. So HBR 25p reports 88555 kbps in Movists info panel whilst Cinema 24p reports 147296 kbps. Picture from HBR is noticeably more crunchy where there's a lot of leaf movement compared to the 24p version. Obviously it's to do with the lower bitrate of HBR but can someone tell me why this is the case. Also is Dark Matter intentionally for interiors with low light? Getting a little bit confused by all the flavours, delicious as they are.

• @ driftwood

Prayers and hope to your daughter and family.

• Okay, controlled comparison of the Orion V4B and V4C Dark Matter patches. No natural light, just a harsh camping battery powered one.

SH mode played back at 25P. Smooth -2 for everything except sharp +2.

First all patches play dry. Then with a "trashy" grade designed to show more of the noise and what's in the shadows (as well as oversaturate a lot to see how the patch holds up).

Password: driftwood

@pop24 Shot this comparison at ISO 3200 so you can see it on the 4 Orion matrices.

@mozes @rockroadpix @Mr_Moore @proaudio4 This time it's a Vimeo embed with no password.

EDIT: Made it password protected at WhiteRabbit's suggestion to allow downloads. Password is driftwood.

@WhiteRabbit @johnnym This one should be a lot easier to judge and compare.

@rajamalik What do you think of the difference in the shadow noise when pushed?

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions