Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 2: Sedna A, B, C
  • *** THIS IS A CONTINUATION THREAD FROM SERIES ONE CAN BE FOUND HERE

ALL PRESENT DRIFTWOOD SETTINGS LINKS ARE NOW INCLUDED BELOW ALONGSIDE THE SETTINGS - SEE LINKS. THANK YOU. ***

Driftwood Sedna 'Settings' for ptools 3.64d- Release 15th March 2012 ETA 01:00am

(Panasonic firmware v1.11 & ptools 3.64d '200212' required). Settings for GH2 & GF2 Lumix cameras. Stats: 24p Intra, 1080i/HBR Intra, 720 GOP3/GOP6 all settings as Orion with Sedna Matrices:-

A = High Detail matrix Good for Wide full detail shots.

B = Good allround detail matrix Great all round wide / mid shots.

C = Softer detail matrix Softer skin tonal detail.

*You can rename the set.ini files to suit your A to J button placements - just change the letter using right-click rename in Windows/Mac PC)

There's not too massive a difference between them - just fine adjustments. Look great on STD Picture Profile.

Two packs;- one pack set on AQ1, the other Q20.

NOTE: These are balanced high Quantised matrix settings disabling the need for pushing AQ to 2, 3 or 4 or lower manual Q

TECH INFO: Who needs 150M to pull off good looking pictures? You don't. Good to Hi quality Type 10 sdcards only.

NOTES: It seems a lifetime in a week trying to achieve the best possible bitrate, Q, matrix etc... settings to date. Sedna is the work of around 50+ odd hours of continuous testing with 4 GH2s working around the clock with different lenses, ISO's, shutter speeds and stopping up and down... but even that's not enough testing.

Some of these settings have also been put through their paces by @onionbrain (incredible and extensive chart work, thank you Andrew) and @thepalalias and I am deeply grateful for their reports. Per @thepalalias has also been of great help in assisting in visual testing and also for his tireless work testing audio. Therefore, I have included his latest 'Pasadena Pulse Audio V2 Beta 2' audio settings within Sedna - which I know he (and his team) have spent an age developing and getting right. I can vouch that they sound superb - bringing the best audio and recording mic setups available to date to the GH2. Well done fellas. They are to be applauded.

But a week's testing by so few of us is never enough to cover every single conceivable problem. And for that we rely on you filmmakers, documentary makers, videographers, and all to report back your findings.

Personally, I have been rather selfish - trying to achieve the best settings for my up-and-coming film project with the gh2 - fundraiser will be up soon ;-) Predominant testing has therefore taken place at 24p level. Although extensive work has also gone to achieving closeish HBR & 720p settings for users of those settings. I believe more time on these will be spent in the future.

The main objective of Sedna has been to look at ways of calming down the noise, knock down the overblown Reds whilst wrestling with the blues and without the colour space values of 4:2:2, 10bit et al, its near on impossible - we can only mess with the luminance and chrominance. Most of the testing has taken place in real world conditions - the others from my chart basics and the chart profile tests by Andrew @onionbrain. I think all of us testing so far have seen better performance than the stock matrix by Panasonic. Whether you prefer them to Orion or Dark Matter settings is up to you. After all, the human visual system means what's good for one is not the best for another. But now there's more choice.

But enough banter, soon it will be your chance to try out the new settings.

Nick

Driftwood 'Cluster' v1 With Orion (AVC Intra adapted) Matrix VBR 'Settings' for ptools 3.64d- Released 9th March 2012 1am

(Panasonic firmware v1.11 & ptools 3.64d '200212' required). Settings for GH2 & GF2 Lumix cameras. Stats: Upto 72M 24p, Upto 36M HBR, Upto 36M 720p modes. (*All REC MODES include B frames)

INFO: Very simple Long GOP cluster of i/p/b frames principle, Low Bitrate, conservative settings for all round use with a nice matrix for Type 6 card users. After so many requests from non GOP1'ers to provide the Orion Matrix in a Long GOP configuration I settled on this one to hopefully satisfy the need. I like 12 GOP / 15 GOP for Long GOP - as far as editing goes and converters out there, the Ibbpbbpbbpbb (12 GOP PAL) and ibbpbbpbbpbbpbb (15 GOP NTSC) is the most universally supported GOP structure outside of Intra. A nice cluster of i/p and b frames and appropriately titled methinks. Hopefully, this will keep long duration seekers, type 6 card users, and HBR peeps happy (though I doubt I can please all of 'em).

Driftwood Quantum X (v4d Orion) 'Dark Matter' Matrix Pack + HBR FIX - CBR 'Settings' for ptools 3.64d- Released 18:30pm 06/03/2012

(Panasonic firmware v1.11 & ptools 3.64d '200212' required). Settings for GH2 & GF2 Lumix cameras.

INFO: This is the same as 4c below with HBR/1080i modes GOP Related attempted Fix for clipwrap etc.... HBR mode looks better when GOP Related is 1,0,0,0,1,0 That's the only change from 4c. I can't confirm thiss is a defo fix as of yet.

Driftwood Quantum X (v4c Orion) CBR 'Settings' for ptools 3.64d- Released 23:30pm 05/03/2012

(Panasonic firmware v1.11 & ptools 3.64d '200212' required). Settings for GH2 & GF2 Lumix cameras.

Featuring the new 'Dark Matter' matrix set (three version variations) based on current Orion Matrix with hi/lo freq adjustments. Plus 720p on 9/6 GOP. AQ is NOT required. This is a constant Q (Q8) CBR setting which performs measurably better than with AQ4 on. All other settings as before.

INFO: Orion 4c with Dark Matter matrix pack. Three adjusted matrices to try out, all scaled from perceived HVS Great Quality (v1) to middle of these (v2) and perceived HVS Highest quality (v3). HVS = Human Visual System. This is sharper than the Orion matrix of yore which is still great but many of you wanted to pull out a few extra stops. Let's see if this helps YOU. Only other changes from Orion 4b are GOP Releated, 720p is 9/6 for NTSC/PAL.

Please let me know which matrix you like.

Driftwood Quantum X v5b and v5c 'β Pictoris' (baby Quantum X) VBR & CBR versions 'Settings' for ptools 3.64d - Released 10:30am, 01/03/2012

INFO: Two versions - 1) CBR constant Bitrate at 75M, 2) VBR Adaptive Bitrate 35-75M

There are actually four versions (two in each pack CBR/VBR versions) for you to try out of Pictoris, two different matrices - v5b is the new hybrid matrix, v5c is the Orion included matrix. with NEW Driftwood scaled Panasonic GH2 Matrix meets AVC-INTRA Matrix hybrid (somewhere in the middle of Orion matrix meets GH2 Stock matrix) inc;- Settings primed for 50/75M Standard Rec Modes plus additional 25M for Etc Mode 1080p24 on INTRA 50/75M Standard/75M Etc Mode 1080i50/60 INTRA 50M /75M Etc Mode 720p50/60 GOP6/9 40/75M Standard/75M Etc MJPEG Highest Quality 1920&720 Mjpeg modes. Good standard SD card recommended

Two Zip files below contain the settings: Download all packs and try them out:

1. v5b Hybrid Matrix - http://personal-view.com/talks/uploads/FileUpload/ad/36129bda8ba3f8227e80d333835343.zip
    2. v5c Orion Matrix - http://personal-view.com/talks/uploads/FileUpload/fd/b85bb0076df6f8ac9631e14cbab6dd.zip

Driftwood Quantum X (v4b Orion) CBR 'Settings' for ptools 3.64d- Released 00:15am 28/02/2012

Link: http://personal-view.com/talks/uploads/FileUpload/7e/c5a359e975b25b4a1af455dea3fce5.zip

INFO: Settings include;- Quantum v9b style constant bitrate patch with full AVC-INTRA Matrix ; Requires firmware v1.1 and ptools 3.64d '200212 dated' (*Not compatible with 180212 dated ptools); CBR style 154M INTRA 108024p; CBR style HBR & 1080i INTRA 100M+ Max; CBR Style GOP12(PAL)/GOP15(NTSC) 720p 50/60 - 80+ Max; AVC Intra Matrix all round; GOP related Adjustments for B frames; EX Tele and 80% mode support. SD_Card=V good Class 10; SanDisk Extreme HD Video recommended

Driftwood Quantum X (v3b Rocket) RC VBR 'Settings' for ptools 3.64d - RC Released 00:15am 28/02/2012

Link: http://personal-view.com/talks/uploads/FileUpload/7e/c5a359e975b25b4a1af455dea3fce5.zip

Changes from v2 include;- Adjusted matrix. AVC-INTRA Matrix on I Frame coding with AVC Intra Scaled Matrix on lower field HBR/1080i P frames and 720 P/B frames. 24p Slightly improved quality to match highest i frames 6080808 limit. 1080i/HBR vastly improved. 720 modes now on GOP12/15 to match frame limit usage of 1080i/HBR (ie percentage increase to match higher frame limit for HBR mode which were capped in v2)

INFO: Settings include;- Adaptive Hi Bitrate INTRA on 1080p24 upto 154M; Adaptive Hi Bitrate 25p(50i PsF) upto 100M; Adaptive Hi Bitrate 30p (60i PsF) upto 100M+; Adaptive Hi Bitrate INTRA 1080i modes upto 100M+; Hi bitrate 720p modes on GOP 12/15 with B frames upto 50M safest; Highest Quality tested MJPEG on 1920x1080 (720 compression mode); Highest Quality tested MJPEG on 1280x720 (480 compression mode); EX Tele Mode support (will increase bitrate usage by around 20M); 80% on 1080p modes (will increase bitrate usage by around 25M)

Driftwood Quantum X AVCHD-I 100/50 (AVC Intra Matrix) Total Intra setting! More news soon...

Driftwood Quantum X 'SpanMyBitchUp' v2b - Released 10:15am 25/02/2012

(Panasonic firmware v1.11 required). For GH2 & GF2 Lumix cameras.

Link: http://personal-view.com/talks/uploads/FileUpload/67/8f1ad7ca0ce0baa06e363e950e9b11.zip

INFO: Updated version of SpanMyBitchUp.

Settings include;- Adaptive Hi Bitrate INTRA on 1080p24 - upto 100M. (* Only for GH2); Adaptive Hi Bitrate 25p(50i PsF) INTRA - upto 100M; Adaptive Hi Bitrate 30p (60i PsF) INTRA - upto 100M; Adaptive Hi Bitrate INTRA 1080i modes - upto 100M; 720p modes on GOP 6 with B frames - upto 98M; Highest Quality tested MJPEG on 1920x1080 (720 compression mode); Highest Quality tested MJPEG on 1280x720 (480 compression mode); EX Tele Mode support; 80% on 1080p modes; 24L, 720/1080i FH/H settings on Trick mode (encoder calcs bitrate)

Driftwood Quantum X (v2 Rocket) 'Settings' for ptools 3.64d - Released 22/02/2012

(Panasonic firmware v1.11 required). For GH2 & GF2 Lumix cameras.

Link: http://personal-view.com/talks/uploads/FileUpload/f3/eaad614692159722f20918184ddd0c.zip

INFO: Adaptive bitrate settings. (See attached settings zip file below). Settings include;- Adaptive Hi Bitrate INTRA on 1080p24 - upto 154M. (* Only for GH2); Adaptive Hi Bitrate 25p(50i PsF) INTRA - upto 100M+; Adaptive Hi Bitrate 30p (60i PsF) INTRA - upto 120+; Adaptive Hi Bitrate INTRA 1080i modes - upto 120+; 720p modes on GOP 6 with B frames - upto 98M; Highest Quality tested MJPEG on 1920x1080 (720 compression mode); Highest Quality tested MJPEG on 1280x720 (480 compression mode); EX Tele Mode support; 80% on 1080p modes; AVC INTRA Matrix on I Frame coding with Flat 16 Matrix on P/B frames

These settings are dedicated to VK @Vitaliy_Kiselev (master in control) and Chris Brandin @cbrandin (thee font of information).

IF YOU LIKE THESE SETTINGS PLEASE PAYPAL DONATE (ABOVE) TO VITALIY FOR HIS TIRELESS WORK ON GIVING US THE HACK.

Q. Where do I get firmware v1.11 and ptools 3.64d?

A. All the neccessary links are available here at top of page 1: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2317/ptool-v3.64d-topic/p1

Q. How do I load Quantum settings & firmware v1.11 into ptools 3.64d?

A. See below - its simple.

1. simply make a new folder on a pc call it 'Quantum'.

2. Depending on which camera you own do the following;-

GH2 Users: Copy Panasonics official GH2 firmware v1.11 (GH2__V11.bin) into that folder. (You can download this firmware from Panasonics offical site at http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/dl/gh2.html)

GF2 Users: Copy Panasonics official GF2 firmware v1.11 (GF2__V11.bin) into that folder. (You can download this firmware from Panasonics offical site at http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/dl/gf2.html)

3. Download latest ptools v3.64d 200212 from the 'ptools 3.64d' thread link (https://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-hack/ptool-software) and copy that into the folder too.

4. Download the Quantum patches (white looking documents found at the bottom of this section) and unzip them to the Quantum folder.

5. NOW run ptools, then load the firmware v1.11 (GH2__V11.bin for GH2 users or GF2__V11.bin for GF2 users) when it asks, now you'll see Rocket and Orion settings highlighted in Green (hover mouse over B and G buttons) click on either, whichever you wanna try.

6. One youve selected your fav' Quantum patch then click on SAVE FIRMWARE button and save the patched firmware to your sdcard naming it higher than the original GH2__V11.bin (GF2__V11.bin for GF2) firmware (makes sense yeah!) for example 'GH2__V12.bin' (GF2__V12.bin for GF2) when asked.

7. Load the new firmware from the sdcard to your camera by inserting sdcard, switch on camera, press the green-marked triangular 'Play' button once, Answer yes, to update your firmware. Note: Make sure youve got a fully charged battery before doing this update.

8. Done! Film away! *Please note you WILL NOT see any cosmetic changes in the menu system of the camera - but rest assured, the Quantum settings are all loaded & working hidden, under the bonnet of the camera ;-)

HOW TO PUT IT BACK TO STOCK SETTINGS AGAIN? You can always go back to stock settings by simply UNCHECKING all the boxes in ptools (or by clicking any unused red button, A to J)and saving the edited firmware back to your sdcard and reupdating. Easy.

All basic and beginners questions about the hack can be found here http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/

• 1030 Replies sorted by
  • Wow! I'm pretty amazed, we've had over 50k views and over a 1,000 replies to our Series 1 thread in just around a week. Taken me by surprise. Thanks to all for their contributions. So I've been asked by VK to make a new thread so please continue your reports here.

This is a continuation from Series 1 found at the following link;-

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2364/driftwood-quantum-x-v3b-rocket-v4b-orion-v5-β-pictoris-out-now#Item_1018

• *** NEWS ***

A new matrix and deblocking 'VY Canis Majoris' is being worked on to analyse the various stages of deblocking in INTRA settings. Issued 16th March 2012

• Thank you for all your hard work driftwood! Looking forward to new matrixes

• Thanks Nick.

• Thank you!

Just like to say, I think the Orion matrix settings are remarkable! There are some of us out here who think the image is fantastic! Might try for an even less sharp image when there a few more instructions on matrix tweaking... Thanks again :)

• @jhero Thanks for the Cinema -2 to +2 tests. Excellent.

• Just a short hand held shot with Orion at 720 60p on EX TELE. Amazingly this was with a Toshiba class 6 16gb card that would crash with spanmybitchup. I will be uploading some MTS Files and a short sequence that this shot goes with soon. 

• @mee The 720p of SpanMyBitchUp is soon to get an overhaul...

• @jhero

Cinema < Standard < Smooth < Nostalgic is the order of boosting shadow. That might explain more noise from Standard.

• Thanks for this, im really stoked about these new settings to play with. I do events, so im really interested in the "everyday" patches, specifically "baby Quantum X". I saw others reported this as well, but im noticing tons of noise in most of my outdoor clips. Is this because its starting out with such a complexe scene already - Trees, bushes, and grass? I noticed that in scenes with less details, it seems to have very smooth and clean video. Im using the latest version, with the "deblocking" off. I tried both CBR and VBR at 60p/80%/24p l/h all with noisy results (smooth -2 all).

• So what are the preliminary finding of the boards: what is the best picture profile for the new Orion? Cinema, Smooth or Nostalgic? I am especially looking forward to an extensive @stray analysis.

I haven't seen any real results/comparison between the Driftwood and Orion matrixes either? I have managed to tame the 720p50 in Orion v4: set 50fps frame limit to 1800000 and 50FPS FB 2 to 225000. Might go a bit higher but this is the first one that worked for me. Transcend Class 10 Ultimate 32GB. With the latest testing, with this modification, all settings work in Quantum Orion 4b on the Transcend.

80% work only works in 24L mode HBR and 24H don't span, files not playable in camera when spanning fails 720p50 mode doesn't span, file is playable in camera when spanning fails EX TELE works in all modes

All tested on my motion death chart with 1/200, ISO1600, F/8 in Nostalgic profile with Daylight WB

• @sohus why not try yourself a comparison between the differences with the driftwood settings.?
    i always save one clip from every setting, and compare them.<br. What i have learn is, they all have it, and not alone the driftwood patches.
    But its more complicated then that.
    I MUST always remember the iso bug, i ALWAYS must set the exact same Whitebalances.
    i MUST Set exact the same profile with exact the same + and -.
    And still, the light off the moment off shooting can ruining it all..
    Then i must use the exact same settings in my editing program.

• @Driftwood, let me correct myself. A Toshiba Class 4 !! Anyways, I definitely wasn't complaining about SMBU, but good to hear it's coming back for ptool 3.64. I feel amazingly lucky to have gotten this camera when I did, although I feel like I am racing to get good enough to make full use of its greatness, or rather the greatness that you folks have poured into it. Thanks for all of the work, it is much appreciated.

• I think the following message by @driftwood should be reported on this thread too:

Ok, to all those with freezes, etc... we'll lower frame limits and buffers even more. @duartix do the same test on ANY testers setting for the GH2 and tell me the Q youre going to get on death charts. Its the SAME. Its the GH2! You can go massively long gop and then youre in other troubled waters. For CBR style you can also use IQ/Q=0. If you want the whole picture macroblocks to be coded with exactly the same Q then raise your IQ/Q to the high 20s. I'm against the same Q for whole picture theory... that means highlights and shadows get the same Q... not good in my book. Death charts can fail even on stock settings - we've noted this. If the GH2 had more memory, bigger buffers, faster cpu it'd be a different ballgame. For most real world filming situations - filming people, closeups, general docu makes these settings work very well. Other than that, buy a RED. Most importantly, get out and film REAL things now.

:-)

• P.S. Thanks to Vitaly, Nick, all the other "settings-makes" and TESTERS TOO for making my GH2 a far better camera.

• @mozes I am not that technical, simple as that. I can say that I like an image but not explain in technical terms why I prefer one over the other. For me, it is more of a subjective judgement while I am also interested in a more scientific judgement. I know @stray and @cbrandin are really good in the latter category.

Getting the shots the same is easy. Just save a camera setting to C3 and load it every time you do a comparison.

• If you set for example all to motion, the noise is much more les, so is the detail.
    standard profile 0.0.0.0

AllToDetail.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    AllToMotion.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • @sohus don't hold your breath, unfortunately other comittments have creeped up on me meaning I won't be contributing anything seriously for a few weeks now. Not that I was ever that hot on scientific tests imo anyway. Plenty of other ppl are doing pretty good testing. I am overall happy with the Orion patch, I've not gone near pictoris cos my gut instinct is that that is really much too low a bitrate for a GOP 1 setting for me. I do know though that the new matrix would mitigate this, but I've not seen any output from it that changes my mind, yet. But, I say again, I haven't tested/used it. As far as changes related to the profiles are concerned, contrast settings are key as far as I'm concerned with this matrix, particularly for getting a good starting point for CC/Grading work.

The truths about film profiles re: shadow detail, highlight rolloff etc that we already established still hold on the whole. But, maybe its just me, but I think the overall response of Nostalgic and Cinema have altered positively. It is, as ever, shot, lighting and glass dependent. Noise does have a very different character with the new matrices, not surprisingly, and I'm really not sure about that yet. In camera NR is still totally arse and to be avoided imo. Personally the most interesting news I've seen recently is @stonebat discovering that the old @cbrandin 66M setting is now stable on this firmware without tweaking any of the 'for testers' settings. So... maybe I should try and get my old 88M setting to actually work with ETC mode ;), strip it down and start again. In terms of IQ, I do like the Orion Matrix, but I'd like to see a long GOP (or at least a 3 or 6) with some alternative matrix options (as I still believe strongly that it holds IQ better than short GOP settings). I believe that @cbrandin is working on that at present, and I look forward to it. More can be done, I think, in terms of maintaining quality/stability, rather than just softening (and the Orion matrix is doing more than just softening) with the control we now have over the scaling tables and other parts of the encoder. Don't look at me though, tweaking those is way beyond my focussing/learning skills in my current situation.

• @stray thanks for the update. What contrast setting do you recommend? I have it at -2 currently but if I understand you right, you see reason to set it to 0 or higher?

I am also very curious what @cbrandin is working on. He has been very silent and I hope that's for a good reason. Did you jest @bkmwcd GOP3 settings? What matrix is he using? Stock pana or something else? I downloaded the latest version but I need to do some testing with it.

• People saying that they can record 720 60p with Orion patch in a card class 6 or 4 it´s not a good sign... @cinemon I also notice some noise not also in shadows, but midtones and highlights too where with previous patches I did not, but still have to do more testing. Like @mozes says with the new matrix you may have to relearn using the camera profile settings

• @sohus @bkmcwd is using stock, and gop3zilla is a great setting that I use pretty often. Contrast depends on your shot/lighting really, and sharpening does too, as well as being lens dependent. I haven't had any reason to push either above zero, but I've shot with them at zero quite often recently with Orion (particularly indoors and with soft lenses). Yeah.. I see a lot of discussions around noise at the moment, disregarding the unsurprising commentary regarding shots at ISO 3200 ;), there is something there. As I said above, I'm not sure about it, it can still be cleaned relatively easily but it is different (quite a lot too) to stock matrix. I know someone did a good test on the red noise channel/banding between stock and Orion that showed very little difference, but I still think there is quite a difference. I'm not saying its worse, its just weird, in that it looks unfamilliar in its behaviour.

Edit : Ha, actually, the difference in the noise may be firmware and not hack related. You know, I've never ran this new firmware without a hack. But looking at stuff with bkmcwd settings, its more.. er normal noise.

• Another good thing about Orion I don't think theres been enough said about, for me it seems to be a lot more stable over a range of class 10 cards than previous GOP1 settings.

• @ Stray, agreed. As I mentioned I can do 720 60p on a class 4 card with Orion, and as long as I keep the ISO under 400 it is fine. My Sandisk 30mbs extreme class 10 has yet to give me a write error no matter the ISO, or other settings.

• That indicates that Panasonic has changed the way the buffers / inner processing work in the latest firmware, maybe to make the HBR mode work properly. I have noticed the same thing.

• yesterday i made a movie in a club again. this time with the original firmware 1.1 at first, the low light quality was superb til 3200 iso. the picture was clear with less noise. hyperprime 1.6 12mm and the 1.8 45mm olympus automatic whitebalance sometimes with a little bit more blue works very fine. neat video or something in post is not necessary. In contrast, the other clubmovie a made with the pictory "orion matrix" patch looks like a great disaster in this low light situation. this is conspicuous. it need to create a monster denoise profil with neat noise to correct it. so the high mbitrate picture and the new matrix look is totaly destroyed after this post. that makes a high quality patch senseless for me. may be that this patch is wonderful for a daylight situation, but for low light like in a club. it is not suitable.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions