Personal View site logo
100Mbps Flow Motion v1.11 Failsafe Patch with HBR 25p & 50p modes
  • 574 Replies sorted by
  • Flow Motion v1.11 Failsafe Patch with HBR 25p & 50p modes

See the first post of this thread for info and downloadable INI file:

http://www.personal-view.com./talks/discussion/2099/100mbps-flow-motion-v1.11-updated-with-failsafe-pal-2550p-modes/p1

Looks even better in the original MTS clip, downloadable from Vimeo!

• @Zaven13 - "I have already tested ETC with NTSC 1080p/30 HBR and 1080i/60 FSH successfully using Flow Motion v1.1"

Yes, ETC does work in all Flow Motion v1.11 modes as you've found in practice. The only issue with NTSC HBR and FSH modes is that I can't guarantee that they're failsafe, since with those two modes, I have seen recording stop in extremely demanding situations.

@feha Yes, all AVCHD recordings should play back in-camera. However, MJPEG HD recordings will not.

• @Mr_Moore @ronnylov: "Video Bitrate FH/H=8,000,000"

In Flow Motion v1.11, 24L, FH, and H modes use a special "Trick Mode", which was discovered by cbrandin and myself. These modes insure 4GB file-spanning at 50Mbps by running the file transport stream at a fraction of the bitrate of the video stream. (The Video Bitrate settings you noted in PTool are only the tip of the iceberg, there's much more going on under the hood.)

In practice, file-spanning is sensitive to the actual bitrate at which video is being recorded. If a particular scene is producing bitrates below 50Mbps in 24H, FSH, or SH mode, it will most likely be able to span in those modes as well. The special advantage of 24L, FH, and H modes is their ability to cap the bitrate to around 50-60Mbps to insure spanning. If your subject matter doesn't require this bitrate limiting and you get very low bitrates in 24L, FH, and H modes, it is a sign that you can use 24H, FSH, or SH modes instead.

• @LPowell Thanks for the explanation, Lee! I had the feeling the setting was Trick Mode–related.

• Sunny day here in CA, tried this patch indoors and out. Outstanding! One question, indoors on static scenes when the bitrate drops down to 24, I do not get the "*PCR Trick Mode - PCR Duration is reported as 2x actual value" message in stream parser. However, adding a little light and videoing a bookshelf, bumping the rate to say 40, I then do get the message. Is this a bug or does the "trick" kick in above a certain level? All the video looks good.

• @DrDave Yes, that's exactly how Panasonic designed Trick Mode to work; it kicks in when the video bitrate exceeds the transport stream bitrate (listed in Stream Parser as TS Max Speed). In Flow Motion v1.11, I tuned 24L, FH, and H modes to serve as failsafe backup modes for 24H, FSH, and SH modes (particularly for assured reliability in file-spanning and ETC modes). If you don't see the 2x or 4x Trick Mode message in Stream Parser when using 24L, FH, and H modes, you can switch to 24H, FSH, and SH modes instead.

• @LPowell All this "trick mode" seems like quite a breakthrough! Thanks to you, cbrandin, Vitaily, Driftwood, and the rest of testers and tweakers for exploiting all the potential of this GH2... Al

• Ah. I see. Getting super micro-texture. After using this patch, I am seeing the "real" camera. Thanks.

• @LPowell how about 50 mbps in HBR 25p mode ?, stable and spanning ? (100 mbps does not span for me in HBR mode ...)

• @LPowell Please, let me understand your point about trick mode. Very low bitrate 8M not seen usable for me, and I tried your settings with lower bitrate changed to 44M. But if you recommend to stay at your settings because it affect to H-mode (H, SH, HBR) for spanning, so I'll try it your way. Just let me know if I got it right. Thank you.

• @LPowell flow motion v1.11 is very nice, all mode works on my class 10 PQI card, a few error here and there, but subsequent try usually fix the write error problem. I notice that you have left out the iso limit in v1.11, indeed there are camera lockups if recording in the higher end of the iso range, the max stable iso I am able to attain is iso6400, any mode above that would lockup the camera within seconds, I also find that if I switch off the camera as soon as I see the write error message would often avoid the need to pull battery.

• @feha - Unfortunately, Panasonic did not choose to implement an "L" version of HBR mode, so we don't have a 50Mbps HBR option. If I set HBR to 50Mbps instead of 100, it would restrict FSH and SH modes to 50Mbps as well.

• @act Trick Mode is used only in the lower bitrate video modes: 24L, FH, and H, and is designed for shooting situations where you need to limit the peak bitrate to 50-60Mbps. If you're seeing bitrates well below 50Mbps, you should use 24H, FSH, or SH mode instead.

• Low light screen grab using Flow Motion v1.11. Canon FD 1.4 Lens. Don't remember ISO but was either 800 or 1250. Don't have stream parser but i have MediaInfo!

Screen Shot 2012-02-26 at 5.27.27 AM.png
    1920 x 1200 - 2M
    Screen Shot 2012-02-26 at 4.06.31 PM.png
    1920 x 1200 - 258K
  • @THEOJO Looks good, with a 44.5Mbps bitrate on a dark, narrow DOF scene. Was this shot in 24H mode?

• @LPowell

Thank you, please could you make one version of just 50mbps ? For all modes and especially HBR 25p, this would be a version stable one (as one of cbrandin popular 44mbps) ?

• @feha Sorry, but a 50Mbps HBR mode with a 3-frame GOP would be very difficult to optimize in a satisfactory manner. 50Mbps with a 3-frame GOP is not enough to produce acceptable image quality with highly detailed images. By comparison, when used in HBR mode, cbrandin's 44Mbps and 66Mbps patches will produce a 12-frame GOP at 25p and a 15-frame GOP at 30p.

• Test I did a few weeks back. Thanks LPowell I really like this patch!

• @LPowell It was a hectic night, i don't remember, It was definitely either 24H or 24L, earlier in the day i had set it it to 24L to save space. On my 32GB cards i had 5hrs record time. But i noticed later when i was in any other setting other than video mode i would have 42min record time so i could had forgotten to switch back to video when i switched lenses and recorded 24H. Ill find out later though.

• @bitcrusher Beautiful video!! Could you tell us what exact settings you used and workflow?

• Thanks for subjecting Flow Motion to the test, bitcrusher. Love the look of that foggy evening!

• I'm getting a 3D effect with this patch. Nice transitions, sharp, not a lot of junk.

• @thomasso I shot this in nostalgic -2 on everything transcoded with 5drgb to prores444. Edited it in premere and graded in davinci resolve.

@LPowell shooting is the fun part! Thanks for all the work on this, also big thanks to VK

• @bitcrusher Thanks for the info, did you notice any differences in perceptual image quality between the original MTS footage and the 5DtpRGB version?