Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
100Mbps Flow Motion v1.11 Failsafe Patch with HBR 25p & 50p modes
  • 574 Replies sorted by
  • Just tested latest Flow Motion with short clips of HBRp30 (I have NTSC camera), 24p, and 720p60 and it all worked great. No failures, play on camera. Test was large avocado tree leaves blowing in the wind. Awesome settings @lpowell. Thanks due to you and Vaitaily, and so many others that have contributed so much... Al

• @lpowell I was interested in comparing them because of record times, which in my tests are similar. I prefer your 24H setting, just have a practical need for longer recording time on my cards.

Other than the data rate are there other significant difference in 24H and 24L?

• @royadkins The AVCHD encoder uses coarser quantizers on 24L videos than on 24H. This reduces the bitrate, and as you pointed out, increases the recording time. However, it also reduces the image quality of 24L videos, compared to 24H.

• @LPowell. I'm brand new and trying to keep quiet until I read more but, I've installed a few of Driftwood's patches, all crashed with my Sandisk class 10 card at some point. ( Lockups or card read). I installed Flomotion the other day and so far, no issues except I haven't been able to get the MB over 49 so far. I'm using firmware V1.1. Is that causing problems with Flomotion? Great write up BTW!

• Sorry, I forgot the Stream Parser

cin-hs-web.jpg
    600 x 338 - 167K
  • @peternap Your Stream Parser chart is from a 24L recording, which is designed to work at a maximum bitrate of about 50Mbps. To obtain higher bitrates, you'll need to use 24H mode with well-lit, sharply-focused subjects that are highly detailed. Even when you see moderate bitrates, the AVCHD encoder is still producing high-quality images - it uses only as much bitrate as the scene requires.

• Thank you Mr Powell!

• @LPowell I set up on the creek of death and recorded without a glitch for 47 minutes using a 14-42 lens, zoomed all the way. It could have gone longer but I got tired of looking at it. Transcend 32 gig, class 10 card... 1090 24H Space used 17.4 gigs

Then did a short recording without changing anything to send straight to Vimeo from the card. So far I've tested at night, during a storm, at a child's birthday party and broad daylight and except for errors I've made, it has preformed beautifully. I have a spinning screen that got the bitrate up around 92 but never a stutter or lockup.

Thank you for all the work on this!

Untitled-1.jpg
    800 x 450 - 254K
  • @peternap so you got spanning on that card?

Thanks

• I'm still not sure exactly what spanning is Long John! If it's one large file, no. It broke the files up into 3.99 gig files.

If it's something else, I'll look if you tell me what to look for.

• I went looking for the definition of spanning again Long John and it looks like that means recording past the normal cut off time???? If that's correct, yes it spanned and recorded the full 47 minutes on the Transcend card.

• Sorry for the uncertainty but I wanted to be sure I was right. Yes, it is spanning on the Transcend. I just finished another 50 minutes of nonstop recording.

It does create a new file every 11 minutes at 3.99 gigs, but recording never stops.

I'm doing a twilight test now and it's been running about 30 minutes so far.

• @peternap

It seems you got a very good Transcend card!

• Has anyone done any low light tests? I was about to use it for my trip to bali but my quick test before flying out vs ralphs sanity patch showed lower bitrates in low light (10Mb) vs ralphs which stayed at 24Mb for same indoor test shot. stuck with ralphs patch just to be safe for the trip.

• @MRfanny A bitrate of 10Mbps would indicate underexposure of more than two stops. In those cases I'd recommend using Flow Motion's MJPEG HD mode, which can maintain high bitrates in near-dark conditions. However, 24H mode will produce high bitrates when recording in low light at ISO 6400 or more (using the extended ISO patch):

• @MRfanny I just did a Twilight test but deleted it. The bitrate was actually a little higher (78 I think) but I don't know if that was because of the light or the rosebush. My limited lowlight tests have been good. I really like this patch.

@LongJohnSilver To be honest, I never use the Transcend but my SDXC Sandisk cards kept crashing with the Driftwood patches so I ordered one just to see. It tested a tad faster than my 16 GiG 45mb UC1 Sandisk Extreme, which I suspect because I was using it in a non UC1 compliant device.

I still don't really trust the quality or the quality control and won't use it for important events, but at least I know it works.

FWIW, torture testing Spanmyupbitch V2 with the Transcend gave me card read errors too, so it isn't a magic card.

• @LPowell ( ISO 6400 or more (using the extended ISO patch):

Can you point me to the extended ISO patch?

• @peternap : It's under: Patches for end users\Movie related restrictions\Maximum ISO limit removal

• @peternap I tested Flow Motion v1.11 extensively at ISO 6400 to make doubly sure it would be failsafe at ISO 3200. As long as you don't use ISO 6400 to grossly overexpose the sensor, Flow Motion should work reliably at that ISO as well. However, I found that if I wasn't careful, ISO 12800 was noisy enough to overload the bitrate of the AVCHD encoder. That is really the only reason I left the extended ISO patch off in Flow Motion v1.11.

• @LPowell Will the "Dark Matter" part of the @Driftwood Orion setting have any further positive influence on your setting? I like it very much if already good things become better ;-)

• @minger No, Flow Motion v1.11 comes with its own set of Scaling Tables optimized for the range of bitrates it handles. If you substitute a different set of Scaling Tables, it will no longer work as intended and its reliability will likely be compromised.

• Has anyone been experiencing some clips freezing in VLC player with the Flow Motion patch? The clips work fine in Premiere. Not exactly sure what's causing it to freeze in VLC. All shot in 24H and freezes in about 1 second.

• @jshzr Yes, VLC Player is known to have problems with high-bitrate MTS files. For Windows PC's, I recommend Media Player Classic (both 32 and 64-bit versions):

http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/download-media-player-classic-hc.html

• The standard mediaplayer in win7 works also very good with the high bitrate mts files
    a bit offtopic, but you can try kmplayer, it plays the mts file very wel,
    and when you pres ALT+J you get the same info as mediainfo.

only thing you have to change is the media splitter in kmplayer.
    Just pres F2 and change by MPEG-2 TS to gabest MPEG splitter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-Multimedia_Player