Personal View site logo
SanDisk Extreme SDHC Cards
  • 437 Replies sorted by
  • 32GB San Disk 95mb/s - Just an update I was wrong, I left my cam rolling on a shot of some oranges, and it spanned fine on Quantum v2 just test that again on moving shot and we're still good on v2, BUT it cuts off at 4.29GB if there is any camera movement at all on all other Quantum patches. Stay away from the 32s If that is a problem.

• Has anyone seen 30MB/s Ultra cards in their area. Here in Japan, allot of shops have these and 30MB/s Extreme cards, the prices are dropping fast on both. I am waiting for a 95MB/s replacement card from sandisk currently, and thought for about $25USD I would give an 8GB card a try, but would like some feedback. If none have tried or seen the 30MB/s ultra, I would be willing to get it just to do the testing, but this one is closer to $30USD. Also I have wanted to ask for awhile, has anyone tried any of the Panasonic high end cards?

• answer found thanks

• Anyone? I'm not trying to take the discussion away from the Extreme line, but rather compare them to the Ultra.

• As far as I know, SanDisk Ultra cards are not 30 MB/sec. I see them with a Class 4 designation and 15 MB/sec on the sticker.

• Yeah, that what I thought till I saw these, I found some 30's on B&H, but they do say class 6 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/833961-REG/SanDisk_SDSDH_016G_U46_16_GB_Ultra_SDHC.html

I could have sworn the ones I saw locally said class 10. I will try to check again soon.

• I got back there today and sure enough they were 6 class. I had to turn my camera over to repair for some spots in the lens, so I am not going to worry about cards till I have my camera back. Feelin a little sad without my GH2.

• @balazer @Vitaliy_Kiselev

HELP!!!! will any of the sandisk card readers read the 64gb UHS 95mb/s cards?!?! if not can anyone suggest a card reader?

• Any card reader with an SDXC logo will work with 64-GB cards.

• @stanlymanly2 The Sandisk USB3 Card read does. (Its a multicard reader- but also is superspeed!)

• @alcomposer do you use a mac? right now im stuck with osx leopard. and i dont know if it will work or not. i read something about sdxc only being supported by snow leopard and up. any input on that?

• @stanlymanly2 You’ll need Mac OS X v10.6.5 or later to be able to read SDXC cards.

• @Mr_Moore thank you for the clarification! time to upgrade the hackintosh to snow leopard or lion now!

• Has anyone tried any hacks with a Sandisk HD Video 45MB/s card? This card looks exactly like the 30MB/s card in the first post but instead of 30MB/s its labeled 45MB/s. Its supposed to replace the 30MB/s HD Video according to my supplier. They have both in stock right now and I can choose either but I'm not sure which to go for... I have a feeling it could be the Extreme 45MB/s card that everyone says to avoid with a new "HD Video" label.

It's not exactly expensive so I wouldn't mind taking one for the team but it would be nice to know if anyone else has tried one :)

EDIT: OK, so looking on B+H's site reveals that the 30MB/s HD Video is discontinued and they recommend the 45MB/s HD Video as the replacement. I'm guessing people who want the 30MB/s should buy it sooner rather than later...

• Don't know if anybody tested this card but it may have spanning issues with the more moddern hack.

128 GB Sandisk Extream.jpg
    170 x 225 - 22K
  • @RawB That's the card a few people are reporting issues with. Some people say it works fine but others say it doesn't work so good. The 30MB/s cards are supposedly the current recommended choice.

• Ok, time to make things clear as the FAQ also provides little guidance nowadays:

Name: 32GB SanDisk Extreme SDHC Class 10 (about to be EOL)
    Articlenumber: SDSDX3-032G
    Writespeed: 30MB/sec
    Details: non UHS-I

Name: 32GB SanDisk Extreme HD-Video Class 10 (about to be EOL)
    Articlenumber: SDSDX-032G-X46 Recommended
    Writespeed: 30MB/sec

Name: 32GB SanDisk Extreme Class 10
    Articlenumber: SDSDX-032G
    Writespeed: 45MB/sec

Name: 32 GB Extreme Pro (about to be EOL)
    Articlenumber: SDSDXP1-032G-X46 Not recommended
    Writespeed: 45MB/sec

Name: 32 GB Extreme Pro Class 10
    Articlenumber: SDSDXPA-032G-X46 Not recommended - get 64GB SDXC
    Writespeed: 95MB/sec

Most cards do have a 16GB version too, but the HD-Video in general is tricky and I too encountered shops which did not have the 16GB version anymore and low on 32GB versions.
    Please note the card mentioned above is an Extreme, not the Extreme Pro! The question is whether its a different card or actually the Pro with the Pro removed. Whatever the case, the favorite is about to become EOL without an affordable replacement. First thing is to find out whether the SDSDX-032G is too plagued with issues or not.

• I’d say this “writespeed” spec isn’t entirely accurate. I believe the numbers you see on the label refer to the maximum read speed. Write speeds will vary from card to card and are usually not indicated. (They may be indicated somewhere on the packaging with the regular “up to” disclaimer.)

• That's correct, but its just the numbers SanDisk puts on the label and the ones which are used by most members to identify the cards. On top of that, the camera might also be hindered for whatever reason to actually reach this maximum speed. Personally, in this case, I'd prefer to mention the articlenumbers.

• How about using HD Tune (can be downloaded here for free http://www.hdtune.com/files/hdtune_255.exe ) to check the real write speeds of the cards? i checked mine and here's what i got - sandisk extreme hd video (32GB) 30MB/s - hdtune: 19.9MB/s - sandisk ultra II (16GB) class 6 - hdtune: 17.6MB/s - transcend class 10 (32GB) - hdtune: 19.8MB/s - transcend class 6 (32GB) - hdtune: 18.5MB/s - transcend class 10 (16GB) - hdtune: 19.9MB/s

not really what i was expecting to see ;/ would be interesting to see what sandisk extreme pro's real speeds are

sandisk_hdvideo_32GB.jpg
    580 x 470 - 96K
    sandisk_ultraII_c6_16GB.jpg
    580 x 470 - 95K
    transcend_c6_32GB.jpg
    580 x 470 - 93K
    transcend_c10_16GB.jpg
    580 x 470 - 97K
    transcend_c10_32GB.jpg
    580 x 470 - 98K
  • I did not put SanDisk item numbers in the FAQ because there have been different SanDisk cards to have the same numbers. Before there were Extreme HD Video 30 MB/s Class 10 UHS cards, there were Extreme HD Video 20 MB/s Class 6 HS cards with the same item numbers. You need to look at the box and the label and make sure they match what I put in the FAQ.

And FYI, the 30 MB/s Extreme and Extreme III (not HD Video) cards were discontinued a long time ago, and the Extreme Pro 45 MB/s cards at most sizes some time ago.

@sumo, the card Rawb pointed out is not the infamous Extreme Pro 45 MB/sec card. It's the new HD Video 45 MB/s card that is apparently replacing the HD Video 30 MB/s cards. None of us has tested the new cards yet, and we don't know if they perform similarly to the previous ones.

• @redpaw, thats really interesting that the Extreme HD is showing the same speed as the Transcend class 10. I have been wondering lately, as the majority of my cards are Transcend class 10, why they are able to hold up pretty well using @Driftwood s newest hacks (Rocket and Orion) when some people are saying they have errors using thier HD Extreme cards. If they really are writing at the same speed, that would be why. Still saving up for a 64GB 95mp/s though

• Sustained write speed is just one performance metric, and not necessarily the one that predicts write errors and spanning failures in the GH2.