Personal View site logo
ColorGHear TOOLKIT- color grading SYSTEM for AE
  • 1015 Replies sorted by
  • GHrain Killer tutorial will hopefully be done next week. I'm in the middle of shooting yet another short. (Still frame below) Using Quantum v9b, graded with CGT using Shadow Lift, CineGhamma, and ColorFist.

Oops forgot to include settings:

Pancake 20mm @ f.2.5, ISO200, Shutter 1/50th, Smooth -2,0,0,-2

The actor is Robert Joy (CSI:NY, Land of the Dead, AVP-R) Who was also in my award winning film "Singularity". He is teh awesome!

MandMe footage tests (0.02.30.00).png
    1920 x 818 - 2M
  • Short little edit. Technical grade in Color Finesse. Creative grade with CGT. About 6 or 7 adjustment layers. A bit of Neat Video reduction and regrain with the Film Grain gear.

• Looks really good Shian. Especially the lowlight. Those Nikkor lenses are incredible. I am starting to get used to using the GHears. Still have a ways to go but i reallly like them so far. CineGHamma and Spectral effects are great. Will share later. It already looks better then my previous grading.

• Older video from the 2nd week I had my GH2 - unhacked. I had to go back to Nebraska for my dad's funeral, and was in a grim mood - had to get out of the house (details on the vimeo page)

This was a minimalist grade using just CineGHamma and a very low Spectral, on footage shot with cinema setting 0,0,0,+2. And with standard ND filters. No need for the hot mirror kind if you're not shooting people...at least that's what I've found.

• I was watching iPen for iPad.

Maybe later this year... PhotoShop/AfterEffects masking using pressure sensitive tablet or stylus :)

• I use this http://reviews.logitech.com/7061/7365/logitech-wireless-trackball-m570-reviews/reviews.htm

and occasionally, I use my old wacom tablet depending on what I'm doing.

• Cool. Do you use a mouse at all? Or are you a trackpad person?

• And let me add, making the transition to a SpeedGrade workflow will be almost seamless for CGT users, you are using a hacked together version of it now.

• Thanks, Johnny. It's the first time i didn't edit to music, just slapped something on at the end that happened to work really well.

No reason CGT shouldn't work with CS6, most of the GHears were built in CS3, they've evolved over the years, but have always worked going forward. If not, I'll just make new ones.

CGT tutorials will expand to cover SpeedGrade when it is released, and we'll have to see just how Adobe's release is configured, but if they leave it alone for the most part, there will be a whole new toolkit for SpeedGrade almost as it's released, if not...soon after. Also development has begun on versions for Resolve, and FCPX - no ETA on completion... it will be a while, but work has begun. FCPX version doesn't look very promising, but I'm just now getting into it. At the very least there will be tutorials on how to get the most out of it - grading-wise.

And then of course there's the Film School, which I'm hard at work creating content for and shooting Tutorials, no ETA on it's release either. (being a one stop shop is time consuming...lol) but thank you for your continued support.

• No idea about CS6 release date. Hopefully ColorGhear presets work in CS6.

• @MarkV, @Stonebat:

I believe v6 will be at least announced and demoed at NAB. They have a 0.5 upg plan each year for NAB last i heard. I think we'll see the pricing and everything in April. I'm looking forward to Speedgrade and other features. I really like what Shian is doing for the GH2 and his support/education makes it a no-brainer.

• @shian That footage from your test drive took my breath away, man. We're so lucky to have you here to teach us these things. What lens did you use? -> ok , it's the Pancake 20mm (I remember it like it was yesterday sitting in the theatre when Solaris played, and Martinez enters that bass guitar below the metal percussion when you're looking at Natascha McElhone's face or the intelligent nebula.)

• @stonebat Any news on Creative Suite 6 release date from Adobe? 3Q of 2012?

• @HillTop1 unfortunately, no. I think you can process a credit card through PayPal without actually having/using a PayPal account. I used to do it all the time.

• @shian, any other way beside paypal I can send you the money to get on this deal?

• Hopefully I can spend the upgrade money on AE CS6. Color Finesse might be replaced by SpeedGrade. Hopefully faster overall performance.

• Just purchased and looking forward to firing up AE when I get home. Might have to buy a new PC tho as AE takes a week to load. What swung it for me is the quality of @shian's work and what people have said about the tutorials which will be great for me as I've only used AE in a limited way. Can't wait!

• Go for 8gb. No brainer. Watch youtube how-to.

• 'I'm in'. :) Will start on this like white on rice next week. Today is the last day to get ColorGHear at 50% off just a reminder.

• I only have 8GB, and I do just fine. My laptop only has 3, and I still make it work. More RAM won't help you much in FCP or Premiere, but with AE and all the 3D graphic programs, RAM is king, (your GPU is queen). The more you have, the faster your machine performs.

• .. and I thought 24GB of RAM is just wasting money.. now I see it's not :) Preview runs smooth as hell with ColorGHear.. + it's pretty damn nice for 3D simulations. Just year ago I did work on 4GB ram laptop in 3Ds Max.. now I can see the difference..

(btw. the Nvidia GTX 590 helps A LOT. It's running all GPU only..)

• Upgrade to 16GB if you can. I'm stuck with 8GB. Yeap it's slow even without RAM preview. Yeap I wanna apply minimal color grading.

• @redbaron Very Nice!

@spacewig Are you using the RAM preview, or the space bar? AE will not playback normally with the spacebar, you need to use RAM preview, and it helps to drop the playback quality to half or less, also check and see how much memory you have allocated to AE, and use the disk cache if you have enough HD space to allocated some virtual memory. And check that the RAM preview settings are set to 23.976 or whatever frame rate you wish. Also, even with 6GB of ram, I would close everything else you have running. I always run AE by itself so I have my full system resources available.

• Question regarding AE (I am a noob so apologies in advance): Is it normal that the footage plays below 24fps before I've even applied any effects or made any changes? I find this very odd as I am running an i7 4.2Ghz with 6GB of RAM and a GTX295 graphics card. AE is installed on an SSD drive. I know this is not a turbo system but I never expected it to be soooooooooooooo sluggish. Perhaps I've overlooked something or there is a quick tweak to remedy. I would appreciate any advice as I just can't work like this.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions