Personal View site logo
Official GH2 "Stalin" hack development topic
  • 939 Replies sorted by
  • Donated a tiny fraction for the GH2 yesterday. Good luck Vitaliy.
  • I don't know how big an effort it is, but, for us non-techies, can someone kind of explain what these bits of code might mean, or how they can be translated into useful info?
  • >In my studies, the more comments the code has from the original coders, the more likely it is intended to be used as the basis for other products..

In this case Panasonic is good, no comments at all. :-)
    Normally all this things are just removed in prudiction using conditional defines.
  • Well generally you have a number of engineers across a couple of worksites that are working on the same code for a model of camera or you might have snippets of code that are used across multiple models so it's not really to remind themselves what each thing does as it makes stuff more clear for the other people working with it.
  • ...or just to remind themselves on what each thing does, ahah. =)
  • In my studies, the more comments the code has from the original coders, the more likely it is intended to be used as the basis for other products..
  • >How frequent are the debug strings? Do they occur throughout the code, or are they just in certain sections?

Same as before. Only in few new functions.
  • How frequent are the debug strings? Do they occur throughout the code, or are they just in certain sections?
  • Hopefully you'll find a comment like: "Screw up 24p here" :-)
  • The code certainly looks better commented this time :)
  • > how long of a process is reversing

Very long. Almost endless.
    Hundreds and hundreds of hours :-)
  • This is exciting stuff! Out of curiosity how long of a process is reversing and what are the steps after?
  • Btw, reversing already started to provide useful info for older cameras.

Here is first interesting part:

It tells us that buffer must be proportional to overall bitrate (it is not equal, as it is hex value).
    revers2.png
    731 x 233 - 10K
  • >Does the code seem clearer than the GH1, or is it a messy effort?

It is assembler :-) So, same as GH1.

Other known functions, for example are : GH2_HDMI_OutputStart, GH2_HDMI_OutputEnd.

• Great

Does the code seem clearer than the GH1, or is it a messy effort? Set_ContentType - very interesting. I know the HDMI on the GH2 has bigger potential than what they gave us - especially since they inserted a random cadence pattern into the interlacing of 24p to 60i.
  • Next small portion of news.
    Some HDMI function names and parameters are known due to present text debug strings.

Here is example of function that init HDMI paramaters during powering on:

revers1.jpg
    614 x 188 - 47K
  • Amazing news Vitaliy! Been following the project since the start. The possibilities sound great. Good luck with the rest of the progress!
  • Congrats Vitaliy
    *clapping
  • Btw, I think that many people here do not know Jane song :-)

But you need to watch whole episode (with much better performed version) to understand all irony :-)
  • Good luck Vitality. The m4/3 community is going to need to write a song commemorating this like the song the workers wrote for Jayne in firefly.
  • Just added a small amount to the pot.
  • It looks like we almost made out target to GH2 body in just half a day :-)
    Thanks to all.
    I'll start to publish reversing info starting tomorrow.
    In won't be too much as I must focus on encryption first (and it is completely different to TZ10).
  • This is fantastic. Just donated. Thanks for your work!
  • Very exciting, Vitaly! You da man!!!
  • Woohoo! Excellent news - go V. go! : ).