Personal View site logo
320/640 bug fix. GH2 users liking 320 and 640 please look.
  • 72 Replies sorted by
  • @cosimo_bullo Thanks for info mate. :-) I will also confirm.

• No, the C1, C2, C3 buttons don't fix the problem outright. As you suggest, they simply start you in a good position to then safely click down to your desired setting.

• " just the custom settings C1, C2 and C3" Does this avoid the Iso bug, or do you suggest to put isos like 800 into it and switch down manually after choosing the preset?

• Thanks. That's how I've been doing it too.

• @kholi, just the custom settings C1, C2 and C3. If you save a certain ISO on those settings, it always defaults to that ISO when you switch to the custom mode

• How do you set the camera up to start on a specific ISO by chance?

• Kholi - yes on 800 to 640 as per what we've seen in our tests.

• +1 for the new topic. It's the fullest and clearest explanation so far of how to avoid ISO bug issues.

• Definitely glad it has its own topic. Now I know to do exactly what Cos says to use 320, because just going down from 640-320 was what I did and it's damned good to know 320 can be cleaner.

Now I just want to know if going from 800 to 640 is the right way to go for clean 640.

• it is much more clear now, and better to understand for me then the 1/3 stop higher. (i was thinking overexposure instead off iso

• I'm glad this was given it's own topic. Had it been posted in the old "320/640iso Noise" thread, then I probably wouldn't have looked at it. By creating a new thread, it emphasizes the importance of the information. Thanks cosimo_bullo for your additional tests. Thanks balazer for your initial testing.

• I'm not being defensive. I'm offended by people who think every little idea deserves its own topic, and don't bother to use the existing topics.

• There's no reason to be so defensive. We are working towards the same goal. This is brand-new information that was not included in your initial report.

If this saves one GH2 user on a paying job from having the 320 bug than it's worth having posted in a new thread

• Already done, DrDave.

• This is important, new information. Maybe it should go in the original post, but it needs to get some "bump"

• Yes, it seems that going from 640 to 320, it depends on where you were before 640. 320 -> 640 -> 320: low noise. 1250 -> 640 -> 320: high noise. That's something I didn't discover in my original testing.

But regardless, the rule we came up with was to come down from the setting 1/3 stop higher.

You didn't need to start a new topic just to add a small piece of new information. There's something to be said for keeping all of the relevant information in the same place, where people may have already subscribed to the topic.

• No, balazer, you made in error before, I believe, when you wrote:

"Switching to ISO 320: low noise from 400, 500, or 640; high noise from all others and from power off"

In fact, going to 320 from 640 is just as noisy as starting from 320. This is the new information and people need to/should know about it. Please test yourself and you'll see what I'm talking about.

This is why there has been so much confusion re. 320, and this is why I did this as a new thread.

• @cosimo_bullo, it's already been established that the best practice is to come down from the ISO setting 1/3 stop higher.

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/1280/gh2-iso-noise-bug-at-320-640-and-1250

http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/

• Right, navigate horizontally across the center row of standard ISO's (200, 400, 800...) and then click up to select 160, 320, 640... The bottom row is always noiser than the center or top row.

• Very cool, Cosimo. Thanks for digging into this. Perhaps the positive way to think about it is to always come down from the next highest setting; ie. 400 to 320, and 800 to 640. Yes?

• Wild, thanks for posting your results. So it seems it's best to stay in the middle of the ISO menu as long as possible before reaching your destination ;)

• i can confirm this.
    i also noted this, when i go down in iso with the quik menu button, there is more noise, then when i go down throe the quick menu touch screen menu.