Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
320/640 bug fix. GH2 users liking 320 and 640 please look.
  • 72 Replies sorted by
  • latest trick-tip. I try it and it works, even with unhacked 1.1 firmware!!! You have just to start with whitebalancing a little to blue to reduce the red channel. Of course the 320/640 etc bug exist.

• @balazer

Every time I think I get it there's a new post confusing me :-)

• @haribabis What does that have to do with noise settings?

• @pinger007 as this DREW guy explain, it is a method to reduce the noise in high iso and/or in low light areas. It has something to do with the way that the gh2 READ/WRITE the red color. Can not explain precisly how this happens, but this guy method works.

• I've mentioned this before. Although, a lot more testing needs to be done, if you just select daylight balance preset, you have to watch your RED channel. The RED channel tends to be hotter and clips easily. This certianly explains why the noise levels will be higher (under this condition). Also, it's easy enough to pull your footage into post anld look at noise levels for each channel.

Of course, the come back would be the RED channel will be hotter under daylight balance due to the higher color temp. But, the issue is it can be too hot. It's almost as if they handled white balance incorrectly when compensating for color temp (pushed the RED opposed to reducing the BLUE channel. Of course, this is a simplified thought, but you get the idea)

When I finally "get off the road", I plan on doing a shit load of testing regarding noise and how best to handle it.

Normally the BLUE channel is the worse channel for noise in cameras, but the RED channel (GH2) can be worse if not watched.

• @haribabis - isn't it much preferable to gain the red channel before compression rather than after, like the GH2 does? The footage you used is also not terribly red-channel heavy (mostly water and sky) and shot outside (with what ISO?) with some amount of post-production applied, as you said in the video. I'll try your settings out later this evening, but shooting outside during the day hasn't been much of a problem for the GH2 (other than its limited dynamic range).

What would be very interesting, I think, is shooting some tests with a red filter, to reduce the blue and green channels so that you're not caught shooting with not enough light for the red channel. This would allow you to correctly saturate the red channel without over-exposing blue and green.

• @csync, Pull your daylight outdoor footage into post and look at your RGB Histogram parade. I've seen many of my daylight footage (daylight balanced) with the GH2 reporting good exposure and not clipped only to find later in post the RED channel was indeed saturated and clipping.

Actually, I just finished watching Drew's video regarding the tip. Very well done. He seems like he certainly has done a lot of testing regarding this. I was manually trying to dial down the RED channel via in camera settings and camera color temp. I'm going to try using using the indoor balanced (Tungsten) and post correct.

This may be the ticket for ISO 160 daylight shadow noise levels.

• Interesting i did also a test not for noise, but if i can get back the right colors if i choose a wrong white balance.
    Just using the white balances plug-in from sony vegas does the trick....
    thats when i also noticed the differences in noise, but never ever giving it any further toughs about it. :-)

Just uploading quick and short video from that test....

• Interesting, but how to deal with the noise when shooting indoors then? Use daylight balanced lights?

• I advocated for this months ago after @Ralph-B brought it to our attention. I thinl some folks got on Ralph's case about leaving it on all of the time but he stated "of course not." But I do. I leave it on all of the time. I challenge anyone here to try it... With the hack the footage looks better and cleaner than most of those much more expensive cameras. It's unbelievabley clean (No Neat Video needed). And yes....it's easy to recover outdoor footage in post ...especially when I use the Sony white balance tool in Vegas.

• MOD - please remove the last 12 comments on this thread.

No offense to any of you (many are friends!), but this is a very specific thread with a very specific fix for a little, but sometimes devastative problem. I'd move the past 12 comments to a thread called "GH2 noise fixes" or something along those lines. It's all good stuff but doesn't belong here. Thanks.

• @haribabis

Thanks for the clarification. I'd love to contribute to the testing of this theory, and discuss it in more depth in another topic thread.

@cosimo_bullo

Sorry for being off topic.

• Hmm, it's about minimizing noise. True, it's not due to the bug work around, but it's certainly important. @haribabis, start up a new thread with this topic. This current thread has been beaten to death, We ALL know how to overcome the ISO bug.

• No offense meant, @proaudio4. And I agree this is a good and valid point being discussed above and really does deserve its own thread. I too will contribute as I've messed with white balance settings a lot too. Thanks.

• No disrepect cosimo_bullo, your information has been valuable and I'm sure has helped many. ;)

• Guys & girls, all the compliments and questions must go to DREW channel. It is not my video-tip. Also the moderator has right, so no problem from me to create @cosimo_bullo a new thread!!!

• Since I haven't seen a new thread I will share my results here. "Drew" claims his method will reduce noise by "85%".

Someone take a look at the pics below and tell me if one pic looks 85% - or thereabouts - less noisy than the others.

Tests were done at ISO 1250 and 1600. White balanced with grey card, colour temp & by selecting interior white balance (light bulb icon) as per windbag's instructions in the video above.

NT 1.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    NT 2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    NT 3.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    NT 6.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    NT 5.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    NT 4.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • I’d say NT 1 is the least noisy, followed by NT4. The rest look very similar to me. But then it’s not always easy to judge noise in static frames.

• Come on gang. It's not that hard to start an effing thread! Whatever useful info you discover here will be unrefferencable in the future because it does not relate to the freaking thread title!

• Just tested it with firmware 1.1 in HBR 25p with all white balances incl 2500. 3500. 4500 etc, etc..
    Iso 3200 and standard profile.
    but there isent much inprovement...

• LOL, Drew presents a Magic Bullet Mojo'ed video of a broad-daylight nature scene dominated by blue water and green foliage as "something amazing"? The purpose being to demonstrate how effective suppressing the red channel is at reducing noise... Well, of course it works if there's not much red in your shot to begin with.

I've got to hand it to Drew's studio production values though, his promotional fervor makes EOSHD look comparatively modest and soft-spoken.

• Doing a straight re-balancing of a daylight scene in post results in warm shadows, where a grey card is neutralized.

• @Mr_Moore

NT1 & 4 are grey card white balanced, which, according to some, results in additional noise.

I am getting really annoyed by the hyperventilating that occurs in some posts. Has anyone actually watched "Drew's" video? It takes him almost 12 minutes to share a tip that can be communicated in 12 seconds, notwithstanding the fact that it doesn't work. The skanks plastered all over his intro should have been sufficient warning about his predilection to shameless hype...

We should implement a new rule: if you're going to claim some trick/tip/technique you've tried works, post before and after videos - no show, no go.

• I watched the clip, then I thought: What a nice place!