Personal View site logo
PTool 3.60d topic
  • 259 Replies sorted by
  • The bitrate settings which will allow higher bitrate consistently are in the "Patches for testers" > "AVCHD Movie Mode" > "AVCHD Compression/Research" settings. The correct combo, in tandem with the "Patches for end users" > AVCHD settings, will result in the higher bitrate hack we are looking for
  • "1080/24p seems to record OK with bitrate set at 44Mbit"

@EOSHD what settings have you set to get that?
  • @plasmasmp same here, no matter what settings I change, the video stream bit-rate will not go above 22-23 mbps
  • @dkitsov at the time I was testing a static lowlight scene so it was actually around 15. Now that I've been testing it with higher motion I haven't been able to get anything but Iframes to spike even with the bitrate turned up to 60mb for all modes and GOP cut in half for SH.
  • @plasmasmp So 30 mb for a stream bit-rate, but what is your average video bit-rate?
  • you need to get yourself some good class 10 cards. I have year old patriot lx cards (new ones are slower) and a about 5 pny class 10 cards for testing. I've been using them all on my hacked gh1. Right now I'm testing high bitrate 720p. The 720p on the gh2 badly needs the extra bitrate

Bumping the SH bitrate to 60mb seems to only effect the spiking I frames right now, average bitrate stays at 17mb. Maybe altering gop will change this. Right now I'm doing all my testing at -2 ev so there is plenty more tests ahead.
  • What card (class) are you using plasmamp? I can't record with 1080 progressive patch-- card error! I have a class 6! Thanks!
  • Testing with the 14-140 at 30mb 24h. Lowlight testing shows peak bitrate hit 32mb. The encoder in the gh2 is significantly improved over the gh1, so there probably isn't a need for huge bitrates. I'm going to keep testing slowly and scientifically to find the best bitrate to remove all mud. Vitality = hero
  • To quote VK at the beginning of this thread:

"Also remember that last patch about ExTele in testers section is cruicial (means that it can brick your body)."
  • @EOSHD
    what settings you have set to get 44Mbit? really want to see it in pictures
    thx
  • And before I change the firmware I checked every option on the ptool software. Was it a stupid thing to do? Should I have left some of the options untouched? And finally, on the camera setup firmware version didn't change, still says body version 1.0. Thanks for your answers.
  • 1080/24p seems to record OK with bitrate set at 44Mbit

Before (normal 24Mbit AVCHD mode) - Stream: Max Speed = 24,510,640 bps
    After (hacked) - Stream: Max Speed = 44,931,740 bps

However the average bitrate was hovering much lower since it was a low detailed scene.
    As I say, very earlier trial and error. Will test some highly detailed wide shots now with the 14mm pancake and see if it hangs.
  • @KrisCanonizado Works fine without for me :)
    @alicangrgc Probably, class 4 is slow. Mine hangs on some hack settings, remove the battery and you're good to go again.
  • Thank you Vitaliy!

Lets hope LPowell's cam is overnighted!

any chance we ll be able to maybe choose the pixels for ETC mode in the future? instead of 1920x1080 maybe we ll be able to change it to higher resolutions?
  • After the hack, I could not use the cinema mode. The camera has blocked and didn't respond anything even ON/OFF switch. Is it because of my SD card. I tried to shoot with a class 4 type SD. Or I could not manage to hack it properly? Thanks...
  • Does not seem to be the case, I am doing it with a manual lens with no electrical connections to camera body.
  • Do i hafta have a lens attached to the camera to install the firmware?
  • Yes indeed, that was my question ;-)
  • "25p can be activated by using the 1080 progressive patch (see attached image). In it's current form it's unstable (as stated) I haven't tried it yet."

Yes I know, but he asked for switching the 24p Mode to 25p which is much better than the 50i Mode.
  • Congratulations on the initial gh2 release - Great work! I've only applied the 30min removal and the PAL-NTSC switch patch and they seem to work perfect!
    I'm still a bit worried experimenting with the bitrate/fps stuff - that will change, and I hope add more feedback later:)

@Mihuel and @Angry_C
    25p can be activated by using the 1080 progressive patch (see attached image). In it's current form it's unstable (as stated) I haven't tried it yet.

@Vitaliy
    Is the 1080 progressive patch intended to be the final 1080 25p setting? If I've understood correctly, this patch is based on the 1080 50i setting in the camera, and I guess it uses the lower quality codec, than the 24p cinema encoder?

Thanks again for your hard work, we're all very grateful!
    gh2hack.PNG
    516 x 370 - 41K
  • "Maybe stupid question but how switch 24p to 25p ? "

I think, this is not possible at this moment...
  • Hurraaa, 30 min removal really works. Fantastic :-).
    Maybe stupid question but how switch 24p to 25p ?
  • Congratulations, Vitaliy! My silver GH2 is on its way...
  • Yeeees, recorded for 80 mins ... so the 30 min removal works fine. Man this is so exciting! :-)
  • >Is this meant to say 24p?

Yes, of course.

@dts @Chaos123x
    Wrong topic.
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions