Personal View site logo
The 50 Dollar Follow Focus. Thoughts?
  • 35 Replies sorted by
  • This would be a great device to use for Zoom, but as Follow Focus I don't think it offers the feeling of real follow focus unit with wheel ...

• @bostonmike I'll say. I just upgraded my pledge to the $75 banger since it's only $15 more than the $60. Plus there's more flexibility with having both the standard and larger band and pulley.

• Damn, for $50 even if it doesn't work right, I'll make it work!

• @Wiley really nice work (caveat being not ever having had one in my hands :))! think i may jump on board...

• Are you the proprietor @wileydavis? If so, what's the torque like on the lens when using the follow focus? Without a locking pin DSLRs can be a bit notorious for twisting. And, the GH2 mount isn't the sturdiest of chaps either. I was wondering if it exhibits any horizontal dragging in-frame.

• @RRRR what do you see as the design flaw.. given that this is obviously not aimed at pros...?

• Just so you know, they're not rubber bands at all. Not in any way elastic. They're kevlar-reinforced timing belts.

• They reached their goal of $10,000+ in one day. Was at $460 when I checked this morning, crazy. Anyways, I put in a pledge for the $60 version. If you want yours, you can still pledge at a few different levels. I'll let you guys know how it is when it comes in.

• I think the basic design in itself is a flaw, or at the very least a seriously under-developed decision, not to mention those ****"#")! rubber bands.

• I don't think anyone will have a proper idea how it stacks up until folk have got one. I can see plenty of flaws in the design, more to do with how it operates with a host of different lenses.

For 50 bucks though...it's possibly worth a punt. Like the $99 PV deal that we had a bit back. It's not an awesome piece of kit by any stretch of the imagination, but worth $99...you betcha!