Personal View site logo
Official Low GOP topic, series 4
  • 586 Replies sorted by
  • @cemay, beta patches such as Quantum are for testing. If you want reliability, stick to the non-beta settings like Reaquainted or Seaquake. This is all explained in the FAQs.

• @driftwood Quantum 100 is a great "all rounder", impressive quality out of the GH2 with decent recording times, thanks! But how about Quantum 50? I love the idea to switch between those two patches for casual shooting and documentary.

• Thanks @balazer, for reiterating this fact. Guys, please don't use Quantum on important jobs yet... even though you may get very satisfactory results it is, after all, still BETA, and any number of things could go wrong.

• Thanks a lot Driftwood.

• Had some spectacular results with Quantum 9b, 95mbsec/64G sandisk, with olympus 50mm f1.8, at f1.8, 1/50th sec, iso 160, shooting w/o lens. Superb work driftwood. Spans and colour-graded well in CS5.5 with colorista

• @ Silent 1M Max Frame Size Lovers :-)

30p (24p80%) can be used now with GOLGOP3-13. Although improvements were slightly in 24H, I improved so that 80% could be used with 24L. Except 1080/24p, it is completely the same as an earlier version, and they are the contents of Chris's 66M. Of course, you can combine with a favorite patch except 24p.

This is the patch which realizes high definition by utilizing BIG FRAME SIZE and maintaining qp low on the average on the whole screen, without using extremely low qp.

This is the sample of 30p(24L mode). *The weather is bad and not much good sample. ;-) *Since this is raw data, it is still in 24p80% but not 30p. *Of course, no sound.

bkmcwd GOLGOP3-13 V3.zip
    728B
    golgop3-13v3_30p_trees_wide_sp.JPG
    1297 x 633 - 190K
    golgop3-13v3_30p_trees_wide_i_ey.JPG
    1233 x 847 - 258K
  • Here are some side by side Aquamotion v2 vs Quantum 100 shots. Different days, same room, same lens, same lighting, different angles. All footage is ungraded.

Shot of the girl is Aquamotion. I had some nasty grain going here despite being a low ISO. No idea why this was happening but it did happen occasionally with me on Aquamotion.

The two shots of the dude are on Quantum 100. I'm absolutely loving Quantum right off the bat. It's making it easier to match with our Canon A Cam and is producing a nicer image right off the cam for me.

(Lens in wide shots is an EF Samyang 35 1.4 and in close up is a Nikon 100 2.5 ais)

Aquamotion with Samyang.png
    1916 x 1075 - 3M
    Quantum100 with Samyang.png
    1912 x 1071 - 2M
    Quantum100 with Nikon.png
    1914 x 1072 - 2M
  • Forgot to post a link of the Quantum 9 clip mentioned just above. Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CC815XzBZ3g

• *** NEW Quantum50 v1 *** Here you go long recording fans. Try this out. Quantum50, everything at 50M or close to.

1080p24H 50M INTRA AQ4

1080p24L 25M INTRA AQ4

1080i50/60 50MFSH/25MFH INTRA AQ4

720p50/60 50M/25M GOP3 AQ2

This needs testing. This should span, playback, and just work for you.

Lots of new theories - lots of discussion with Chris Brandin & Lee Powell - lots of differing opinions - lots of agreements. Lots of new understandings. Now its time to see what you think. This is the first edition of the baby version Quantum50 INTRA.

Quantum50 is 50/25M= Good Quality, plus reliability with slow cards. (Better than stock)

Best

Nick

Driftwood 'Quantum50' v1 - seta.zip
    769B
  • @driftwood on the q50v1 is it me or 720p60 is freaking awesome? 24h is good but 720 looks extremely clean. Will test some more tomorrow.

• I got a gig tomorrow night in frisco. Live rap show. Low light. About 3 hours. Ill be using q100. With a 64gb and 32gb 45mbs cards. If yall want some of the raw footage lemme know

• Just a heads up about QV9b

1. 1080/60i Does not span on 64Gb 95mb/s Cards. Hits the 4GB limit @ 8Minutes(ish) and kills.
    2. 720/60 SH Does not span on 64GB 95mb/s Cards. Hits 4GB limit @ 8minutes(ish) and kills.
    3. 1080/60i + ETC mode is breakable on 64GB 95mb/s Cards. Did fine pattern torture test and can kill it in 5 seconds. Will test out of ETC mode during daylight with foliage etc.
    4. 720/60 SH + ETC mode is breakable on 64GB 95mb/s Cards. Did fine pattern torture test and can kill it in 15 seconds. Will test out of ETC mode during daylight with foliage.
    5. Playback works with AVCHD 24 on 64GB 95mb/s Cards, but once you start mixing formats on one card or playing back different file types it does not recognize any other format for playback.

Glitch: Some files appear to be missing in the line up during playback, present when you get to your computer. Heads up.

AVCHD - 24 is pretty much rock solid. Can't break it in ETC mode torture test or out of it, Spanned 24 Minutes then I stopped it, plenty for me.

Would love a 1080/60i and 720/60 SH Patch that spans, but realizing that rolling huge takes like that is something I wouldn't even do with Epic/RED regardless of the interview setting or not. May just get over it. Less time to convert in 5DtoRGB for each clip, less room for conversion errors, etc.

Seems like the edge of what the camera can do, if not exact.

Definitely prime time ready.

• @cafeteriacarlos what ISO in the first shot? Interesting noise.

• Hi! I have only problem alone with driftwoods patches in ntsc mode?:( I checked Aqua motion v2, Quantum v3, v7, v9b, Q100, Q50v1 - problem is the same always. It work for me only in pal version. I formatted the update sd in ntsc and in pal mode to (for the record to), but nothing helped.:(

Any opinion? I have only this 32gb Sandisk 30mb/sec sd card. Change card, video mode (it would be easiest i know, but i like the 30fps, 25 is a little "pieces") or user?:)

Thanks! Q

• Fast and dirty test with Quantum50 v1.
    several writing errors when using different movie settings (from 720 pal to 1080i or 24p and vice versa)
    even when taken a picture, after that the gh2 will give a error when taken a videoclip.
    Switching the gh2 off and on did solve the problem.
    sandisk extreme HD-video 32gb 30m/s

i did not have those prob with QV9b.
    Quantum50 v1 looks anyway very good, i like it.

• Thanks @driftwood - I'm going into production on a feature this morning. Using two GH2's with Quantum 9b. Your efforts are extremely appreciated!

• Loaded Quantum50v1and tried with sandisk extreme HD-video 32gb 30m/s Very nice results in 24p H & L, with no WB problem as with Quantum100 (greenish cast) But I got writing errors with 720p50 at high ISO (3200). 1080i 50 is wonderful. Looks very promising, thanks!

• @humpman I honestly dont remember. 95% sure it was 160 or 320. Thankfully noise patterns on GH2 are actually quite nice in comparison to ugly Canon noise. I do always make sure I go down in ISO (like I would move from 640 to 320 instead of up from 160) because I remember reading that can cause an unwanted noise in the hack.

• @cafeteriacarlos - I'm not 100% sure on this one, but I understood from others that to avoid / bypass the noise bug, you need to move down from the higher ISO setting which is directly above (one setting higher) the one you want. So you'd need to go from 400 to 320. Not 640 to 320.

• @driftwood, thanks! would you say that quantum50 is better than spanmybitchup in terms of quality? btw, just used spanmybitchup on a shoot and it was great. only issue was that i had to turn on and off the camera to view footage most of the time. haven't tried turning off iso 12,800 in the patch yet to see if there's a difference.

• @driftwood, on q50v1, got instant lock up on both tries with 720p60, had to take out battery to restart. Using Sandisk 30mb.

• @cafeteriacarlos I may have to shift the production I started on Aquamotion... over to Quantum 100 having seen the b-ground wall in both shots... I am also seeing the same kinda noise issues in certain spots and I too am very careful about going down in ISOs and staying in 160 whenever I can...is Quantum 100 as stable as Aquamotion?... I'm stuck with 30MBs SanDisk 16Gig cards .

• Quantum50 v1 baby

• @butt-Please stop calling me!!!!!! Or at least stop dialing my number!!!!!!

@Driftwood-You're really going to MAKE me buy the GH2, aren't you?

@Personal-View: Keep up the great work!

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions