Personal View site logo
GH2 v1.1 new firmware with 25p discussion topic
  • 637 Replies sorted by
  • @SuperSet It is indeed encrypted, and Vitaliy does not care enough for open source to release the decryption algorythm and keys.

• @balazer Whoops, I'd come across this (http://jorisvr.nl/gridfrequency.html) but I realise now my maths were out by a factor of a 1,000, the 49.99-50.01Hz variance shouldn't make any difference!

• The frequency of power is very tightly regulated. It will be almost exactly 50 Hz. My guess is that those street signal lights are not even a multiple of 50 Hz. You can see the beat frequency is around 4 Hz. It would be easy enough to test by shooting 50p or 25p. (shoot 720p with the shutter speed slower than 1/50 s)

• @Gerald My understanding is that the electricity supply is only 50Hz on average, but sometimes never exactly 50Hz? Could this be the issue? (And spare a thought for people shooting 23.976 in a 60Hz land, they seem to get by controlling the flicker with shutter speed)

• @superset.

It's encrypted. Very few people can do anything with it. Vitaliy is one of them. He had to dump it and reverse engineer. Very difficult thing to do. He is still working on firmware 1.1 and has been for weeks.

• Vitaly - do you reckon the panny engineers hid the 25p functionality in the old 50/60i sensor modes ?

Or was ist just the cheapest way to make it work ?

Did the new fw get you a deeper understanding of how the sensor interface works ?

• Guys, having FW 1.1 - how to disable displaying the "Photo ON/OFF" in Ex. Tele Conv. mode? I mean displaying, not the function itself. I have Ex. Tele Conv. set to Function 1 button to quickly switch forth and back, and since I use my GH2 almost exclusively for video - it is annoying that "Photo ON/OFF" it is first on the list after I press the Fn1 button! So I have to use cursor keys to navigate to "video ex. tele conv. on/off" which is not handy...

• Is the firmware open source so other programmers can parse through it or is it encrypted?

• @mrbill donating is not a problem... but when someone has donated a few times, one might like to offer additional support, this is a community of creative people here, and I for one would like to help in any way.. not sure if I can help? But creative problem solving is what artists do for a living, and just maybe a complex problem could be helped by the input from many?

• Hi Vitaliy,

the show is going on, isnt it !? Many thanks in advance to all of you, concerning the next succesfull GH2 steps...

• @Vitaliy I don't profess to have a big brain, but there are many people out here who wish that they could help you, might it be a good idea to create a few ideas threads where people could use their different approaches to try to spark some creative problem solving? Just to add, that I am in PAL land and currently have the option of the fantastic array of hacks (thank you everyone!) or using HBR on the v1.1 fw. So I do not feel the need to push for the new release... But if we can help in any way that would ease the load for yourself.. Please let us know how!

• @balazer

I think you don't get me right :-) Many AVCHD patches must to be changed. And I need to think and understand how to rewrite some parts.

• Vitaliy, if the settings are shared, that is fine. We can use them that way - no need to try to split them. I think few of us need to switch frequently between HBR and 24p or 50/60i anyway.

• One thing that hold me back for some time is how feckers from Panasonic implemented 25p and 30p modes. On main settings level they are combined with 24H. And on encoder level they are treated as old 50i and 60i (with only slight adjustments) :-)

• old clip shot with a atcgk HD actioncanm in 60P ntsc.
    Go to 02:7min. and well..........
    http://exposureroom.com/members/mozes/ec18587bcba642fb90e0cb676ee99c44/
    go to 5 minuts and there is no problem, just a different traffic light..

• @Gerald the latest traffic lights have led lights. Thats the problem in the posted clip. even some cars have them now............

just go to some trafficlights, and check the break lights off some cars. with your gh2....

• I'm surprised. What happens if you shoot at 720/50p?

• @ balazer, no the flickering will not stop @1/50 if the light is a convetional bulp. Only neon light will not flicker. In this short test-clip

1:02-1:08 the signal lights on the left has been recorded @1/50 s. I saw it when it has allready been uploaded. If i have not allways sort them out as garbage, i would bee able to show hundreds of those examples.

In PAL-Land (Germany) 25p is necessary, essential, required and so long been awaited for the GH2

• Just joined the forum and wanted to thank Vitaliy for his dedication

• @pop24 I enjoyed your video clip; you did some great editing. I agree that higher quality with increased bitrate is needed

• Set your shutter to 1/50 s and the flickering should stop.

• Thanks for the update! I hope the release is gonna come soon :) I don't like 24P all that much since a lot of light sources here in europe appear to be flickering.

• Keep up the good work!

• Nice work Vitaliy