Personal View site logo
Beginners: Basic hacks questions
  • 1012 Replies sorted by
  • @Driftwood

Hello! Thank you for awesome work!

I was wondering this... I have browsed thru lots of topics and post around here about your GH2 hacks, and notices that patch with highest bitrate seems to be Driftwood 244M patch, but at the moment people are testing your newest Quantum v2-7 patches, which apparently have much lower bitrates. I guess that "perceptual image quality" is not all about bitrate but about many more encoding parameters too in this case. So my question is, that does these new Quantum- patches provide better perceptual image quality than the 244-patch?

ps. recap about patch- history would be nice ;)

• I cant switch between 50p and 60p ?

If i go to setup and choose for video out nstc. The camera say's "cannot record file number exceed limit". So i change the language to Engels, what give the same result.

• Hey gang. Can't find am answer by reading.

Firmware won't flash onto my gh2. I did it once and it worked, bbut then the screen wouldn't work, so I flashed it back to original firmware. Tried to flash hacked firmware on, and now it won't load onto camera. Just says no picture to view etc.

-tried changing sequence to 2, and even 3. -batt is fully charged -using the right Sandisk card -followed instructions meticulously Re-downloaded latest ptool and firmware. Tried like 20 times...

Frustrated!!!

What happens if you touch something while firmware is loading? I did close the monitor while it was loading firmware. Could that have ruined it somehow?

Any ideas?

Update- solved it! Tried using a different sd card, and it worked! Expensive 95 mbps card apparently doesnt work for it, cheapo card was able to update firmware.

Who knows? It worked though.

• newbie question

i really like the result examples i'am seeing with the gh2 hack and patches

and wonder how these guys don't have jobs at panasonic for getting that out the camera...

but need to know.... can the camera handle running at this high bit rate ok

GOP1 intra bad for the camera.... will things burn out and fail?

i've read their well tested..... but i can't afford to buy another gh2 anytime soon!

and what sort of computer spec do you need to edit intra gop 1 footage?

thanks

• also do you always have to have a lumix lense attached to the camera when installing a patch?

• @sid safe as houses so far.

• i dont have a lumix lens, but a olympus one, and have no problems ad all.

• thanks driftwood

like your video examples

do you need a beast of a computer to edit gop1 intra files?

• Nope its easier to edit than long gop... of course the size of files are bigger but you can cut more precisely and is less prone to errors. :-)

• thanks again for the info driftwood....

what patch are you using in your gh2 just now?

seaquake is nice

i guess a 64gb is essential?

• Good day!

If I install the official firmware update from Panasonic, version 1.1, will I still be able to use ptool 3.63d to patch settings?

I really like the image quality of the hacked settings but since I haven't upgraded to a fast sandisk card (still using a 32Gb Transcend Class 10), there are shoots where I need to be safe, especially with regards to spanning. :)

I apologize if this has been answered before but I didn't find a similar query. Thanks.

• Hi all, I just bought a Rode Video Mic Pro, nice Mic but I have noticed somthing. Is is the audio bit rate 448000bps = 256kbps when you play back through a windows media player of media player classic?

• @kapemuna, read the FAQs. @chrimsbroome, audio encoding parameters are a function of the camera, not the microphone or the player. The GH2's stock config is 192 kbps.

• Hi, i'm new here.

i have a currently unhacked GH1. have been trawling but cannot find the answer anywhere.

i have the need to shoot video in 4:3 in Pal 25fps.

post cropping isn't an option as the footage needs to be checked as-is on the fly (out of the camera - into the laptop) on site. however hard i try i cannot find a SD camcorder or DSLR that will do this - everything is HD-wide now.

is this possible with any hacks for the GH1?

if anyone knows or has seen a link on another thread please help. my eyes are going square!

much thanks

• @zebedee I don't recall ever having done that, but you can just crop the 16:9 in post. Use photo mode 4:3 to make manual crop reference for the lcd..

• @RRRR thanks for the response, i don't have the post edit option with this. it has to be WYSIWYG.

i've found a couple of budget JVC camcorder models (that are unmanageably small) that shoot AVCHD-SD but no optical image stabilisation.

i was hoping that a GH1 hack option would be possible.

• Hi ....this is my first question on here so please be gentle with me! I have gh2 and have recently downloaded the 1.1 firmware update from panasonic. Having seen the fantastic possibilities courtesy of Vitaliys (and others) hacks, I downloaded the pTool 3.63 to try some hacking of my own. I reloaded the camera with v1.0 and all was going smoothly, or so I thought. I was able see everything in the pTool and saved the new firmware as v1.2 as instructed, but when uploading to the camera it still reads it as v1.0.......I am obviously making a fundamental mistake. Any ideas? Thanks Paul

• @pgranshaw When loading one of the patches to your camera, it will show v1.0 as the firmware on the camera. Don't be alarmed, you probably have a hack installed. There are a few ways you can double check, such as checking if all languages are showing up in the language menu if you checked that box for your patch. Also, there are programs you can use to check the bit rate and other information of clips you record. Best of luck.

• Many thanks - I'll give it another try ..... One more dumb question. Will the hacks only work from v1.0?

• Hi. Just want to thank everyone for their time/sweat 'n tears in working on these hacks etc. especially VK. I've uploaded a few different hacks with different results but I'm looking for a hack around the 66M area that spans. I've cruised the GH2 Patch Vault etc but haven't found one that spans. Could someone point me in the right direction? Cheers! I'm using 32g Sandisk 30mb/s cards btw. edit: FOUND my answer. Driftwood's "SpanMyBitchUp". She did the trick. Was able to record 1hr10mins straight on a 32g Sandisk card. Exactly what I was looking. Thanks. And to all the newbies out there via hack land. Read the Faqs in the top banner. Incredibly helpful. I say this because I read through all 600+ replies in the last two days and most answers are in the FAQs. Cheers.

• I tried SeaQuack and failed to span on both H and L settings on Original Sandisk 32GB 30MB/s and morever i am looking for a patch which can do all 720p, Variable Movie, Extele,and which can span. So now i am putting on Aquamotion V2 which is doing everything this fine till now. Is the best available? I don't mind if H doesn't span ... even L spans reliably, i can take lengthy shots with it? Please let me know what the best thing i can put on 32 GB 30MB/s card

• I am a complete newbie to the hack world, as can probably be gleamed from my question. However, I have attempted to hack my GH2 and though I had just about managed it but then when I went to adjust lens, (Panasonic 20mm) I could not longer adjust f-stop.

Am I missing something really simple? or forgotten something?

• Hello all first post. Just trying to understand how 'patches' work here. So using PTool I can change all of the settings myself? Patches are just some 'presets' for PTool or are they something else?

The tables on the FAQ are a bit confusing in terms of what's happening (at least to a relatively beginner).

Secondly, in terms of picking what patch works best, is it mainly about the memory card speed and size? I have a couple of Lexar 32gb 133x speed cards, and I don't mind big files (as long as I can fit at least 30min per card). I'm primarily (exclusively really) doing relatively low light filming of music performance stuff, and am interested in a nice film look. So would I just pick whatever has the highest bit rate/lowest GOP I can fit on my card for 1080/24p?

• Can anybody provide me with the exact dimensions in mm of used area on sensor when switched to ETC mode? I need them to calculate focal lenght for tracking.

• @kapemuna @rmckoen @Chhatrapal Aquamotion v2 is your best bet. H mode will span on any class 10 card (or at least sandisk, adata, lexar and transcend, all of which I've personally tried). If you want spanning at a higher bit rate, the only thing that works is the sandisk 64 sdxc. That's it. I've shot numerous doc interviews on Aquamotion and it is 100 percent reliable and quality is great.

@Meierhans I believe it is about 2.5 zoom.

@Rodrigo, while you can pop in different setting in ptools, the patches are not just numbers people have entered in, they are the result of countless hours of tinkering with a variety of settings and testing with streamparser to see if the results they've sought actually get returned by the camera. Just putting in numbers won't help -- for most of us, myself included, the best thing we can do is try out new patches as they are posted and report our feedback -- unless you really want to bury into it, you'll advance the hack fastest by helping out the pros, instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.

Re cards and quality it is less about card size and more about its read write speed. I suspect with that card Aquamotion will be the best patch you can use, but you can try others and see if you don't get a write error

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions