Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Beginners: Basic hacks questions
  • 1012 Replies sorted by
  • You can't just add new aspect ration, unforunately.
    G1 hack includes basic things only.
    Get G1 firmware, open it in PTools and you'll find out all available patches.

Get GH2 or GH1. I suggest GH2 body.

• Well thank you for the information and suggestion, but the GH2 is completely out of the question for me. Besides price being Way out of my reach, it has a Bulb setting Time Limit of Half of what the G1 and GH1 are That's a deal breaker. But like i said earlier i Currently cant purchase even a use GH1 but maybe by this spring I can purchase a used GH1, if i have enough money left over after my tuition grants, or ill just wait to see what summer job i can get. In the mean time, I think i will try and make some kind of plastic with lines i can place over my view finder, see if that helps.
  • @sid
    Try to format your memory card
  • What is with the naming conventions: GH13, GH17, GH21, GH23? I have seen all mentioned in various places. For a long time I just used GH13 to describe my hacked GH1, but clarification as to what the designations mean would be great. Thanks.
  • Sent this via message, but I'm so eager like a kid on Christmas morning that I figured maybe I should ask the whole community. Here goes!

Greetings. I'm pretty new to cameras/video/photography in general, but I have found it very interesting that the GH2 is capable of so much. I bought one last week and it is my first camera in about 8 years. My first one was a Nikon SLR when I was about 18 and I never really took it that serious.

ANYWAYS, I have a SanDisk Extreme 16GB (45MB/s) card and if I understand correctly from the GH2-Hack-FAQ it says that the Aquamotion (88 Mbps) would work fine on my card WITH spanning while the 146 Mbps would require the 95 MB/s card to span. Is this correct? I see a lot of people in the forum using 88MBps and perhaps they are confusing the two, I don't know. (I also have 2 Lexar 16GB 20MB/s cards and 4 Transcend 2GB cards. The 2GB cards will be the cards used to hold 3 hacks and 1 stock firmware.)

Also, what hack do you recommend I, a noobie, use with the card I listed? Lastly, what do you mean when you say Aquamotion v2 is medium-high quality? Isn't it recording at a higher bitrate which would mean it's higher quality than stock? And what do you mean when you say 80% slowdown? I understand what EX TELE is, but I don't know what the slowdown means.
  • @fbernar - I'd recommend driftwood's quantum 2, the high setting is the best GOP1 I've seen that's relatively bug-free, and the low setting spans for longer takes.
  • http://www.personal-view.com/talks/profile/jonathan_p
    Couldn't find anywhere else to post this. Definately qualifies as a beginner question though.
    Trying to figure out how to embed someone's userid in the @someone format. Used my own at the beginning of this message to see if it works to just copy and paste it.
  • Nope, didn't work. Please help. Feeling stoopid.
    Crap, I see, looks like you just use the @ sign and then the userid and that's it?
  • Yup, just their name with an @ before it.
  • I was wondering if there is a hack that allows you to shoot 3:2 at 24H on the GH2?
    If not, is it impossible and why?
  • @blazer003, those hack names are non-standard. Don't give them much thought.

@fbernar, the FAQ means what it says. That's why I wrote it. ;) The SanDisk 45 MB/sec cards are not recommended cards, but they'll probably be good enough for Aquamotion or any lower bit rate hacks. In the FAQ I describe Aquamotion as very high quality. Read the GH2 manual for a description of Variable Movie Mode.

@TekPneumaN, Vitaliy has said before that different aspect ratios are not possible. The sensor hardware is probably hard-wired to output certain video formats. You can always crop to 3:2 in post processing.
  • @ Balazer - Thanks. I've been putting off on reading the manual. I'll start on that now and come back after that. :)
  • @clarkpnoy
    "I just need to get a setup on GH2 that will match my 35mm Rokinon on my 5D. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks "
    I think you should continue that type of questions in this forum instead of the one were we started.

I guess you should look at Voigtländer Nokton 0,95/25 mm MFT. The Pana pankake 20mm/1.7 is not a bad choise.
  • @ Balazer is 66 considered a lower bit rate hack? 44 for sure?
  • Using the original firmware, I'm noticing (sometimes very severe) exposure differences between video modes and the 40 fps electronic shutter SH stills burst mode. I wasn't sure if it had been covered elsewhere (had trouble finding a good search string), so I'm posting it here first.

The images below were all shot with the same lens, aperture and (according to the EXIF data) exposure time, with the Driftwood Quantum V5 Beta loaded.

- SH model upscaled to 1920x1080
    - 24H
    - 40 fps burst mode

What's happening with the burst mode and how do I fix it (if it can be fixed)?
    Quantum V5 SH upscaled with lanc3 aka sinc 0000.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Quantum V5 24H 0000.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    40fps SH burst mode JPEG _2360357.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 573K
  • Hey,
    i'm a New User of the gh2. I have two questions :

When i Set the Iso in 24 Cinema Mode to Maybe 640, the Camera says me during the Record "autoiso" is this normal?

And my Second question is about Correct exposure, should i Film through the searcher or with the LCD? and how can i judge the right exposure? in my Tests the LCD picture was fine but the final file was very underexposed!

Thx for your help ;)
  • this is a video that i captured...is there everything normal? i have seen so much driftwood hacked videos whos look like film...but mine looked like a cheap camcorder...

• I can't seem to load patches into ptools 3.62. I downloaded the patch "cbrandin's 66M AQ2" into the same folder as ptools and GH2__V10.bin. I then loaded the firmware in ptools but the values of the patch don't seem to be entered automatically into ptools. What am I doing wrong. Thanks
  • @onthejazz Patch loading is easier in PTools 3.63d, so I would suggest downloading that first and seeing if you have an easier time.
  • sorry I meant 3.63 I have the latest version.
  • @onthejazz (Edit: Just read your last comment. Ignore the initial paragraphs and skip to the steps, but they may help others).

The newest version of PTool is up at https://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-hack/ptool-software under "Firmware manipulation tool
    Download link - https://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-hack/ptool-software"

Once you start the program, here's a step by step (that pre-supposes you've done a few things already but explains what those things are) for PTool version 3.63d.

1) Click "load firmware" and select the version 1.0 firmware ("GH2__V10.bin") you downloaded earlier.
    2) Hold down "CTRL" and click on any letter from A to J.
    3) Find and select the zip file for the patch you want to load (in your case "CBrandin's 66M AQ2").
    4) Click on the letter you just selected. A small text box saying "settings loaded" should briefly pop-up over the letter you selected.
    5) Click "save firmware" and name the file "GH2__V11.bin" (you can change the last digit from "1" to any value you want).
    6) Copy this new .bin file you saved to the memory card, make sure you have a fully charged battery and then insert the memory card into your GH2.
    7) Turn on your GH2 and hit the play button.
    8) Select the option to update firmware.
  • Excellent it worked, thanks for your comprehensive advice.
  • @onthejazz Glad it helped. :)
  • How to add notes to Patches I download? Many of them come with no notes or just a hint. Hard to tell them apart. -> Or is there another way to find out what's inside a patch?

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions