Personal View site logo
Nikon D4. The new king with uncompressed HDMI output.
  • 208 Replies sorted by
  • That's specialized stuff, for such exotic applications maybe a super ISO set up is the only option.
  • @BrianLuce For people that are mainly shooting things close to them or can spend a lot of time setting up, lighting can be such a huge boon. But I`m often shooting things a mile or away or shooting night landscapes or interviewing in less than ideal surroundings where I can`t draw any attention. Lighting budgets don`t help those things so you have to find other solutions.
  • @BrianLuce That`s great for many movie situations but does nothing to address my primary concern.

That would be the ability to shoot in situations that are normally impossible through a portable, one-person setup that would need to be moved quickly and travel long distances.
  • How about spending $5,000 worth of lights!

• @proaudio4

"$6k !

LOL

Did I just hear someone say, never-mind?"

To that I would address the following.

GH2 maximum selectable ISO: 12,800
    D4 or EOS-1D X maximum selectable ISO: 204,800

Maximum ISO would give 16 times as much light per second...

GH2 body only in U.S. near launch: ca. $900
    Nikon D4 or Canon EOS-1D X body only in U.S. near launch: ca. $6,000

... for roughly 6.67 times the price of a GH2.

For extreme lowlight shooters, that is one heck of a deal. If one can afford it.

• The leaked spec of this camera look good if it holds true. pixel to pixel 1080p and smooth aperture in video mode sound good. Whether it be D4, D800, or Canon 1Dx, it is time to start saving.
  • The Nikon D3s was the high ISO champion for years, and now the D4 looks set to launch alongside the Canon EOS-1D X, both of them with extended ISOs reaching a full-stop further than the previous models and offering 1080P video modes.

I don't know which one will end up being better in low-light this time around, but this is a big deal for low-light shooters and the prices are right in line with earlier models. I almost rented the D3s for a couple projects because of lowlight shooting needs, even though that model only outputs 720P.

So, $6K is not at all outlandish for what these cameras are offering (and far less than an F3 or C300, neither of which extends their ISO ranges as far).
  • If its going to have uncompressed output... then 6k is not that unreasonable. Looks like nikon is going to get my red scarlet money I've been saving.
  • $6k !

LOL

Did I just hear someone say, never-mind?
  • GH2 owners don't need to worry about buyer's remorse, the street price is rumored to be $6,000.
  • @danyyyel
    The H.264 codec in the Nikon D5100 and D7000 already uses B-frames (GOP-12: IBBPBBPBBPBB) in an MP4 container. Nikon does not subscribe to AVCHD, that is a Sony/Panasonic brand name. Nikon's H.264 codec's bitrate tops out at about 20Mbps, which sounds very low, but it produces macroblock quality comparable to the GH2's unhacked AVCHD encoder. I suspect Nikon's H.264 encoder uses hardware acceleration for motion vector calculations to make its real-time performance more consistent and efficient than the GH2's software encoder. The GH2 has to juggle everything in software, and that makes it susceptible to transient processing overloads.
  • 10-bit's not any sort of big deal to me, and I work with VFX etc.

A clean 4:2:2 8-bit is enough to push to DPX and do whatever we want with it.

My issue with this is Nikon in general, or being locked into a freakin' Nikon mount camera. That would SUCK.
  • Nikonrumors has released it latest claim to be 100% sure about the Nikon D4 on the 6 January. He has again said that the hdmi will be uncompressed and that you will have B-frames with h.264. So I am thinking that the internal codec will be avchd type one. I don't have a big hope that we will have 10 bit. We could get 422 through the hdmi but I don't think 422. For now it seems a bit standard fare in terms of internal codec. With the ntool perhaps it could be hack to some very high bitrate because the underlying hardware will be much more powerful than the gh2.

I will be a bit disapointed if it does not have 10 bit, but it will still have some other very good attribute as the low light, etc (It seems to be an Iso monster with native iso range from 100 to 102000). Now it is out of my budget but these tech should migrate to the lower end market.
  • @abwitz
    @danyyyel
    ...getting back to topic. You may be on to something.
    Nikon has the least to loose and the most to gain.
    Plus, the J1 image size would be the easiest to accomplish this with ...at reasonable framerates.
  • there is a podcast on nikonrumors where the motorbike rider of the Nikon adds talks about the big big hooting, it is as if Nikon is putting a lot of emphasis on the video side.
  • @JanH
    Sorry, fw400!
  • Plus, you can have FW800 with any Thunderbolt machine on an Apple Thunderbolt 27" display.
  • @bubba FW800 is still on the Macbook pros. Thunderbolt was added.
  • I told you ETC helps eliminate jellovision, which you say is your #1 problem. Perhaps you think jellovision and aliasing are the same.
    Any way, it's poor form to make snarky comments to people merely trying to help you out with a simple suggestion. Good luck!
  • I wish people would pay attention.

"Yeah I get aliasing artefacts looking at powerlines going by the train hanging in front of sharp horizontal lines of metallic window shades against black tinted windows of a buidling or looking down a long escalator with all them lines against each other."
  • @bwhitz
    Quote: "....a D4 with a recorder could be an Alexa killer for 1/10th the price and certainly send the C300 back to the drawing board. "

I heard Apple dumped firewire on Macbook pro laptops because someone figured an HdMI to 4 wire converter ...and their pals at NikonCanon were scared of it. So, Who knows?

• @Athiril
    Never heard of anyone getting jellovision on their eyes...
  • @brianluce I dont have ETC mode on my eyes.

As I said on the GH2 I only see moire/aliasing on preview playback, if i zoom in on the recorded video or get it onto the pc it's not there.
  • @bwhitz
    The alexa latitude makes a lot of difference with todays any dslr camera, I think that will be one of the main difference

@Rambo
    9-10k for an hdmi recorder ? isn't ninja a <1k recorder in prores422 ?<br />
  • @Athiril
    Try ETC mode -- it gets rid of a lot of it.