Personal View site logo
Fixation
  • 60 Replies sorted by
  • Generally my post had been not only about tech side.
    But also about movies target side.
    And I perfectly know why it occures.
    People just do not know real problems.
    So, they tend to move to the general simple ideas, like "and she killed everybody", "he loves the ugly girls, but she is smart", etc
    Same shit in software. Bunch of idiots remaking social networks, messangers, etc
    And due to expirience in it, I can say it is not because they want to do it.
    It is because they do not know things that people really want.
  • Vimeo is a great hunting-ground for inspiration. But yes I hear you and I would love a simple "how do I plan a music video" flowchart.

I think one of the problems is that people who have passions / abilities get stuck in their medium: for instance (I'm guilty on this one) sound people tend to use a lot of words, colour-grading people show before and after scenes with lots of colour corrections, directors show off their films. But I would find it more useful if a producer would produce a nice flowchart, a sound guy a plan of mic placements, a director a plan or some comparative what if... type animations. But this takes them away from their chosen medium and their expertise. Teachers are quite good at this imaginative work because they will naturally come up with analogies which help explain stuff often better than actual "experts" can. That's a rare thing to have the right combo of expertise and ability to explain, and that's why we get stuck in these ruts. I think.
  • >Show me how people create perfection with their creativity!

We already discussed this some time ago.
    First, real smart and creative guys who know theie job are fucking busy.
    And making quite good money.
    So, you generally ask them to stop making that they like and brings them money and switch to something you need and that won't bring any money.
    In average it does't work.
    Of course many will make paid specialized course, some behind the scenes are useful, etc.
  • I agree. I don't visit that many sites. It's just clutter of people shouting mostly unimportant stuff. There's always people telling others how they need the most expensive stuff to be professional, how the high iso in this camera makes it the best deal, etc. and dismiss all other things. Maybe I'm harsh, but I see certain snobbery. And these people tend to stick around in certain forums.

This focus on super bitrates, etc. is also noise for me. Yes, I like the stuff you are doing, meaning providing the hack. Though, personally, I just want to install a reasonable patch that I can trust, and that's it. I won't change it, even if better bitrates, etc come along. I just want something that works good enough, meaning as close to what I regard as acceptable quality.

Also, I want to know more about how people go about filming one man, or woman. How do they setup things, interact with people, do their thing? Show me a great collection of people's work. I mean, the net is just clutter for me. I can't find the things I want to aspire to from independent people. Show me what I can do with certain gear that makes my shots work better. Doesn't matter if it's cheap or expensive stuff. I want to see how things work, without being bothered by advertising or the showdown, shootout, and mine is better than yours, this is better than that, this grading software is what you really need, etc. I don't care. I just want to know what's the creative process. Don't show me tests! I'm getting tired of the endless trials and previews. Show me the works of people. Show me amazing stuff people do without having any funds, but with their creativity. But complete works, even if it's 30 seconds shorts. Show me how people create perfection with their creativity!
  • @VK

Thank you for the slap of realism. I just read a fantastic essay about television and fiction by David Foster Wallace that talks in depth about the many aspects of television and film but mostly the theory. He was a very insightful writer who seemingly new everything about everything. A major part is about young people becoming involved in film and television because they're brought up to hate it, but their hate for this supposed 'cultural destroyer' can't overcome their fascination with how it is produced and how it harnesses such a powerful force through illusions 'add inf.' I know this is true in some cases because it is how I was raised. This kind of thinking needs to be eradicated, at a personal level, because fascination is incredibly fulfilling.

He also reaches your pointing of, "truly revolutionary....." further in.
    read if you want http://jsomers.net/DFW_TV.pdf (i won't post to here because it is 50 pages)

I ask how something truly revolutionary can be made in an industry obsessed with satire, irony and comparisons? Were a straight line can be drawn from one movie to another made because of it. In and industry were there is no quality control outside of sell-ability, we have the unique position of not being bought, not having to produce for something or someone, and what to we do? Obsess over comparisons, sidetracked with an all defeating fascination originally created by the thing we are constantly berating and criticizing. I didn't really begin to love movies until I watched Stalker. It was, in a large sense, about this very discussion.
  • Of course all thys is a good game for the industries because people are ready to change more often the objects that have (thynk only about TV screens before they remains the same for decades, now after two years a TV screen is old whe hawe see HDready, FullHD, LED, now 3D, in a year 4K and so on). We live on what we can get or do with tomorrow and not now.
  • >i rather try to make a decent mysterious short.

Most of the people want to make "truly revolutionary, heavy graded, absolutely original, super horror-love-shoot"... shit

It remembers me of

• but i don't like other people that much...;)
    and i had my share of directing docu.
    i rather try to make a decent mysterious short.
    i agree most are really terrible.
    truth is i really don't care about how extra fine the picture will be.
    it's just while i wait to find a good enough story+energies to direct.
  • @Kihlian

It is not a surprise.
    It originates from people psychology.
    Plus, of course, affilate links also add small part.
    People like new, shiny, unusual stuff. New gear. This is nature.
    Perfection and skill, in contrast, are usually pretty boring. Lots of repititions, tryouts, etc.
  • I totally agree. All blogs from so self called pro are full of comparison of who has the best and latest equipment (biggest dick?). But rarely talk about the shooting technique.