Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Fixation
  • 60 Replies sorted by
  • It would be interesting to get some recommendation of films or directors from folk here, I find the endless fixation with gear tends to drag me in, and whilst I am keen to learn about my camera, I am more interested in feeding the image and idea reservour between my ears. Innovation in film can be a real joy, and tis the season to share that joy with friends and family :o)
    Harmony Korine's "julien donkey boy" is one to share, even if it is not filled with festive jollity, inspiring filmmaking though!
  • There used to be a time when people just wanted to tell stories first and formost and used any old "crappy" tool just to tell them.
    Nowadays the trend is you cant tell these stories without having something new technical to show. This is a problem with even big hollywood productions these days also.

We have become spoiled by the toys we can have but dont really appreciate them and want more and more.
    Usually the best art comes from the ones who have little amount of toys.
    Technology and technique needs to have a balance.

With those who are gear obsessed there is little time to make anything worthwhile because within a following year some new gear comes out that they must test. I can never figure out some tests. What are they testing for? To see if it works?? If It takes a image then it works!!
    These people are not filmmakers or are swayed away (by toys) from being filmmakers.

Im going to use EOSHD (sorry Andrew) as a example.
    He makes comparison videos,he makes slideshow videos. Gets a lot of praises for them.
    He actually makes an attempt to make a short film (patsy)...it gets flak from some for "posterisation in the background" or "shooting with original sound" rather than just watching the film...giving construct crit on improving technique.
    Even if the film wasnt great it was 100x better than a fucking shot of a bush or alleyway! (So make more films Andrew!!)

So has this what it comes to? Films (loads of online ones for free viewing) even by no budget are scrutinised by what gear/technology is being used BEFORE the content.
    Its a bizzarre mentality.

Ive nearly completed my first film,unfortunately Im waiting for a colleage to travel over to record some audio and he cant make it till end of january. I was hoping to post it up here but it'll have to wait.
    I cant say it'll be any good but one thing I can say is theres nothing quite like creating...from a personal idea to seeing it alive in front of you.
    This is why I got into traditional animation years ago but have no spare time anymore (it needs a lot).

It used to be that as a independant filmmaker you have no one to answer to. No rules no limits on subjects, no rails. Yet a lot of folks are putting themselves on rails inprisonment to the gear.
    Go out and shoot on nothing. Minimal crew. Good times!

Thanks for this thread Vitaliy.
    I personally think you would appreciate someone making a FILM with your hack way more than the sheer amount of comparison/test crap.
    Sometimes I wonder if the hacks are like a frankenstein monster for you in some users hands ;-)
  • Like it! I went to the beach in the summer and had a great time getting great photos using just a crappy mobile camera. Technically not good enough to share but they were just for me - a great memory of a sunny day and are some of my happiest photos. I like your concept of being imprisoned by the gear - when we ought to be the opposite (liberated).
  • There was a talk at TED a while back where a Guy said that you shouldn't share your great ideas with people until they are finished. Telling people about your project is much easier than actually working on anything yet it causes the brain to feel a sort of satisfaction and approval from others which further postpones the need to do actual work. I think "researching gear" does the same thing for many of us. Before I had easy internet access I helped my sister start a film club at her college. We bought a gl1 and a shotgun mic and an imac dv and went out and started making movies. We never spent any time at all worrying about our gear, just the script and finding actors.
  • @jpbturbo

I think you nailed it. We have to produce instead of consume.
  • Which brings me to the question of inspiration. How do you people look at inspiration?
    Is it something that you wait for, in order to start something? Is it external? Stuff you experience?
    Or is it the culmination of discipline? Just going through procedures and once you gain enough material something is created out of the discipline, and that is what inspires you. 8 hours of hard work, 15 minutes in the end of inspiration, sort of.
  • @jpbturbo,

i may add, that consulting ideas with other people can most of the time make
    your own personal and MAYBE very original idea, well.. a less original idea.
  • @jpbturbo
    Exactly! Back then we were literally forced by the limitations to think about content. Now we have less limits and the content is lacking.
    @oscillian
    for me my inspiration growing up on films thanks to my parents being film nuts and I loved animation also. As a result I always wanted to make films but as being from a poor working class family resources were limited...Its easier for the higher class beleive me!
    (used to work at a posh school,same one sam mendes went to and saw the film education resources/access freely available for students if they wanted a film career..bastards!!)
    Me bitter? Nooo...Thats life I guess! haha
  • @matthere, love Korine. Gummo was a real inspiration to me about what's still left to be discovered in cinema. A lot of people seem to hate him, but then a lot of good art is polarizing (I don't think being polarizing is always a sign or quality or always necessary when creating good work, of course). His last film, Trash Humpers, is almost some kind of zenith of the-gear-does-not-matter cinema; it looks like VHS camcorder footage, but it's still beautiful at times.
  • well, in that case get a hi8 for 50 bucks