Personal View site logo
GH2 v1.1 new firmware with 25p discussion topic
  • 637 Replies sorted by
  • @Meierhans

Sort of. A more powerful guy than Santa. There are actually two Santas:

#1: the Nikola-Ugodnik, he should come to you on December 5/6 and bring the gifts. That's St. Nicolas; in areas like north Italy, Slovenia, Austria, Hungary he may have a companion called "Krampus" - not in Russia (where he is of course 13 days later). Krampus punishes the bad kids (spanking, at least symbolically). Since every kid was sometimes bad, sometimes good, both St. Nik and Krampus do the work. ;)

This is THE Santa the way Americans know him but they shifted him somehow to Christmas day.

#2: the Slavonic / Germanic "Old Wizard of Forest" (or: "Grandfather Frost"). In Russia since late 19th Century comes together with a sexy Sprite / Pixie / female Elf "snow maiden", so the men also have something to look at. Very popular all over exUSSR and exYU but the pixie comes only in exUSSR, exYU has only the Granpa coming.

#2 and #1 are obviously not the same, whom you posted is also obviously #2 so it is perfect.
  • Hey Grumpy, do maybe I know you from somewhere else? Are you M. ?
  • alcomposer said:

>>> Now that would be good timing for VK!
    >>> I wonder if he could stop himself from releasing the update on Christmas day... ! :D

There is a good hope for that because for many of us Christmas is after New Year Eve, on January 6.
    And Santa is coming December 19 instead of December 5/6. That's the "old" calendar, still used all over pravoslav world in connection with religious holidays. For instance in Macedonia, Serbia, Ukraina, Belarus, Russia, Georgia and AFAIK Armenia there is no Christmas on Dec. 24/25.

So who knows - we may celebrate January 6 this time a very special way.... preparing my GH-2 for something like that but ultimately the microcode engineer (VK) sez the last word.

The hardest thing for people is to put them self in the situation of the driver or microcode guy. I am involved in very different project but the customers and managers always complain: "do it faster, faster". OK, either it's fast or will work. And it will be ready, when it's ready. ;)
  • @alcomposer Don't read too much into a single sentence. I was bored, was on the net, and posted. It was not meant to push anyone to do anything. @Vitaliy_Kiselev please take a break. Our cameras will still be around next year.
  • @fatpig

Hot in other meaning :-)
    If from -10 to -25 C is hot, then yes.
  • I am in PAL land, and have been exploring the hack in my own small way here in the UK, We currently all have the option of both using 25p and swapping back to the VK hack already :o) this is because of all of the hard work put in by everybody here especially Vitaliy!

I am in no rush for this, there is an embaressment of goodies already on the table!

Thank you everyone! Happy Winter Solstice for tomorrow!
    Donating again - now there is a good idea!
  • Cold and Dark here! Very DARK! Vitaliy thanks for your great effort!
    Mery Christmas to All
  • December is quite cold here, lucky Vitaliy :) good luck with the devving! :)
  • @vitaliy Just take your time. Let's celebrate our christmas time in 24p. Your work is awesome!
  • Thanks guys.
    Generally, panasonic couldn't select worst timing :-)
    As late of December is too hot and too small time is available.
    I am trying to dedicate as much as I can.
  • Have just donated
  • i think VK's holidays would to be more relax and keep away for a little that forum.... if a fw for the 25 is coming it can be welcome .... Everybody just let's donate for those who can, minimum 5$ :D....
    it is christmas ...
  • Santa Kiselev!
    PTool
    Eggnog
    Headache
    I better go to sleep
  • Tinker toys for the grown ups! Hoo hoo hooray.
  • If he does release it on Christmas day, the whole VK is NOT Santa argument is going to take a hit...
  • I think VK will unleash it on Christmas day.

• Now that would be good timing for VK! I wonder if he could stop himself from releasing the update on Christmas day... ! :D
  • This one?

(Sorry for cluttering.. ;)
    rf-mammoth.jpg
    766 x 1015 - 49K
  • @alcomposer

After drinking a bottle of eggnog I realized you‘ve shattered all my dreams! The whole time I thought VK was the real Santa. Everytime he releases a new Version of PTool feels like christmas to me. So I was hoping of celebrating another christmas maybe this or else next year…
  • but @VK is not Santa..
    LOL
  • @zcream

Sorry about the tone,... but @VK is not Santa... He is real man who works seriously hard and its not the nicest thing to write on 'his' forum 'waiting waiting waiting'....

Its the holiday season FFS! @VK should be enjoying a nice Eggnog,.. before anyone gets cross about Eggnog being American, its not- its based on a Medieval European drink ;-)
  • @alcomposer Donated couple of days ago.
  • @DVANZ

I think you are confused with the firmware version.

Version 1.0 (Hackable)
    - Your camera shipped with firmware 1.0 which DOESN'T have 25P.
    Firmware 1.0 is hackable with Ptool and allow you to switch between PAL/NTSC and many other goodies like higher bitrate etc.. BUT it still DOESN'T give you 25P.

Version 1.1(Unhackable as of now)
    - THis is a free upgrade firmware from Panasonic. After you upgrade from 1.0 to 1.1, you will have additional 25P or 30P by selecting HBR in the menu setting. However, since your camera is a NTSC version, you will only have 30P instead of 25P. Original PAL GH2 will have 25P with version 1.1 upgrade.

So if you want 25P, none of what's available today will work for you until VK unleashed the new PTool for v1.1.

Ptool with Mac is not a problem. Just download winebottler http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/

• @DVANZ you can use a mac to apply the hack. Make sure you have X11 or XQuartz installed and run ptool.exe in wine. I use the Wine binary that comes packaged with WineBottler, but have never bothered with the 'bottling' part - probably only really useful for something you want to redistribute.