Personal View site logo
Nikon D4. The new king with uncompressed HDMI output.
  • 208 Replies sorted by
  • Yeah I get aliasing artefacts looking at powerlines going by the train hanging in front of sharp horizontal lines of metallic window shades against black tinted windows of a buidling or looking down a long escalator with all them lines against each other.

Ive only seen moire on preview playback on my GH2.. when i zoom in the video image, it's not there. I'm pretty happy with it.

Jello sucks for hand held. And noticeable on 24mm shooting sideways out of a car on a highway on monopod.. slanted.. annoying, high speed side ways motion seems to be a killer, but I'd hardly ever shoot high speed sideways motion.

Jello is #1 on my hit list to eliminate.
  • Even my eyes have moire, when i look at my curtain.
  • I still get moire sometimes with my GH2. It's not often, like with Canon DSLR's, but it does certainly happen enough that I must constantly stay very aware of fine patterns that are in my frame. Completely moire-free video is far from standard in any DSLR's. And as far as the 1Dx goes, I still have to quote Canon's own words: "Greatly reduced moire and aliasing artifacts." The question we won't be able to answer until it arrives is, how much has it been reduced? 50%? 90%? 33%? I don't know, but for projects that can't afford a mistake, I'd wouldn't hedge my bet.

I guess I like to err on the side of conservative when it comes to calling things "X"-killer. In the vast majority of cases, the new product doesn't actually kill anything. It just becomes another option.
  • bwhitz IMO, rolling shutter is by far the worst DSLR scapegoat excuse ever used...

Absolutely, people used to throw their cameras around willy nilly, now they have been forced to be more careful when shooting with cmos based cameras.
  • I seriously doubt that it will be 10bit... but we can hope... good thing that I have Nikon Glass... :-P

Then again-- the D4 will be about 8k? + HDMI recorder 9-10k... Sheesh!
  • Well, yea obviously, clean moire-free video is now the standard in DSLRs (ie. GH2 and alleged 1Dx) so it would have to have that for sure as well as a true 1080p image. But the rumor did say "uncompressed" HDMI... so 8 or 10 bit is the real question now.

As far as the rolling shutter... I think it's just a given that if it's actually going to be problem, then your video is probably going to be un-watchable anyways. IMO, rolling shutter is by far the worst DSLR scapegoat excuse ever used...
  • It could only be an Alexa or even C300 killer if it's video actually resolves upward of 1000 TVI, has some form of LOG gamma, [virtually] no rolling shutter, no aliasing, no moire, *clean* hdmi out, and it's hdmi output is greater than 4:2:0 8-bit uncompressed.

Maybe it will, who knows? But given Nikon's experience with video, I doubt it.
  • Sounds great, love Nikon, proud owner of D3s and D5100!