Personal View site logo
GF2 Hack collecting
  • 88 Replies sorted by
  • Vitaliy, are we there yet?
  • $360 (minus fees)
    And remember, paypal fees for $5 and $10 are quite big :-)
  • What is the magic number we are going for?
  • Check out this guy's blog. Ghost in the Shell is one of my favorite Japanimation. He recreated Ghost in Hong Kong using his GF2 & 20mm pancake. Will GF2 get a huge boost from the possible hack? Definitely. Higher bitrate will sharpen frames from deep DOF.

I did a quick testing in low lighting to push the auto ISO to max which is 1250 I think. See a frame from 1080i60 video. No visible banding line. But not sharp enough. At least I found it uses B-frames just like GH2!!! AVCHD quantization tweaking possible? I'm not expecting driftwood's 166Mbps GOP1 AQ3 on GF2, but I will be happy with Chris Brandin's 44Mbps GOP12 AQ4 patch or... 66Mbps GOP12 AQ2 :)

vlcsnap-2011-11-27-22h34m16s31.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    sample-streamparsing.png
    1267 x 625 - 130K
  • @jason I guess we need around $300 more funding. If each person donates $10, we need roughly 33 people. Otherwise we will never gonna find out what a hacked GF2 can deliver.
  • Guys, is there a way to hide your shipping address when donating via PayPal? Not being paranoid or anything, I just don't give everyone my home address.
  • @John_Farragut
    You can be sure that no one will know your home address except me :-).
  • $20 here, can't wait to see the unlocked power of this little guy
  • So,
    $400 (minus fees)
  • Hi Vitaliy,
    How much is the target amount?

Best
  • any other ways to reduce the fees?

maybe a middle man that has an amazon payments account?
  • GF2 with Hexanon 40mm 1.8 gave surprisingly good resolution on a candid shot at 2.8. Picture Adjust was set to 0, -2, 0, -2.

Then I tested it out on a magazine cover. A head-n-shoulder shot then cropped an eye.

Wow. Very nice detail.
    20111128-P1000274.jpg
    1500 x 1125 - 559K
  • $410 (minus fees)
  • Have donated as well for this great project - looking forward to be able to use the ISO for video mode as well like GH2 users can do ... Hope you can start soon!
  • We are at $460 (minus fees)
  • donated too!!!
    i´m´really looking forward to having the poor video quality improved. with manual controls the gf2 could be a great camera. hope this will work!
  • Comment moved to GF2 B-camera thread.
  • This is exciting. The GF2 is an amazing camera but suffers from having no manual control over the video settings. If we could control ISO, shutter, aperture it would make a huge difference. 24fps and higher bitrates would also be nice!

I'm donating as soon as I can tonight.
  • @Stonebat: need a clarification ... are you saying that the GF2's shutter is already controllable through the 'flicker' setting that you referred to?
  • Vitaly,

Will this hack improve the quality of the JPEG images off the camera? One major complaint about the GF2 is that the RAW images are really sharp, but JPEGs are lack-luster in sharpness and detail. Is this hack just aimed at video settings, or will it improve things like JPEG output as well?

Or, what about a bulb/manual shutter hack? That would be very nice.
  • $50 donated. My wish list is all for video: full control of settings like ISO, aperture and shutter speed, along with 1080p24 (or even 720p24) and higher bitrates.

I also posted this on Mu-43.com so hopefully some interested people over there will come donate.
  • We are at $545 (minus fees)
  • @tonycpsu

Here all the hacks have been aimed always toward video capabilities. They never touched photo settings.

Best
  • @CobyD Sorta. The video flicker setting works in some modes.
  • I would definetly donate for a gf3 hack. Maybe after the gf2 is done someone can look into this.
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions