Personal View site logo
Werner Herzog MasterClass....some questions.
  • 28 Replies sorted by
  • there's only one way to know for sure

• While great I think there is a difference between an hour or so interview which is directed largely by the person interviewing and a 6 hour planned and prepared series of lessons from Herzog.

I agree on that. BUT online "classes" can also be a two-edged sword.
    I'll develop; some months ago after seeing an article in petapixel (though I doubt that any of petapixel's half digested conglomerate of words can be called so) on a free course about photography: Seeing Through Photographs, I decided to try it myself.
    It was a 5 week course but I only lasted 2, why? The content of the course was a mix bag, despite I read it all, you had to go through a dense amount of pure academic sticky clever-sounding outdated bullshit and self promoting material (curated by MoMA ) to get to the core of it, and there were some good readings and interesting examples, of photographers, of movements/ideas, techniques and contexts.
    But nevertheless, also in life seems one hardly ever has access to what's truly fundamental, the worst part was the whole non-physicality of it. And I don't just mean that I felt like I needed a pair of eyes to focus, a face to respond to... it is was the emptiness of not being able to really share the experience. You could see that reflected in the whole I liked it level of the comments from people taking the course.

I imagine that someone like Herzog would have developed a much more interesting approach and content... but like @kurth the son of kurth son of the almighty godzikurth just said, there's only one way to know

@jleo don't put anything with god, I mean Tarkowsky, 'cause you gonna make me watch & toch :P

• After a friend sold me on the David Lynch talk, I bought the year pass during black Friday. The whole shebang was 170 pounds (London based) and it included an additional pass to gift. I am keener on recouping some of the money so I was wondering if anyone is interested in a one year all access pass for 85 pounds (or the dollar or euro equivalent).