Personal View site logo
Atomos Ninja V
  • 57 Replies sorted by
  • So would I buy this and finally get 4K for my A7s (mk1) or get an A6300 for just 100$ more?

I’ll lose lowlight and supposibly dynamic range but gain better color science and better autofocus for my two Sony lenses. With a speed booster for my Canon FDs I’ll have basically same field of view.

Hm...

• This would have been perfect to have paired with a cheap secondhand FS700 (something I keep on debating with myself to get), but without SDI it can't do FS raw :-/

Fingers crossed there is an Atomos Samurai V in the future.

• I've been waiting for this it solves many of the problems with any brand that has recording limits among other things.

• @eaststoomuchjam Yes, I did just see the Ninja V works with the same caddies as the other Atomos units too. It will just stick out some from the body compared to the new shape.

I wonder what the "modular expansion unit" will bring - hopefully SDI!

• I want one of these, now! So much better on a hand-held rig.

• The PR says it works with "Master Caddy II" which seems to be a thing that you put an SSD into. B&H is selling 5-packs of them for $30. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1123989-REG/atomos_atomcad112_master_caddy_ii_5.html

So at least storage doesn't seem like storage would be super expensive - just the price of an SSD plus $6.

Aside from GH5 owners, this could be nice for owners of the original A7s (like me). There's almost no difference in its ability to work in low light vs the A7s II, but can only record 4k externally. I currently use a PIX-e5 which weighs 16 ounces. A 11 ounce alternative might be nice - though not nice enough that I'm going to go spend another $700. :)

• The market really needed a small recorder capable of recording 4K. But...,

with no SDI, there is no RAW output recording with any existing cameras. It is useless for the Sony FS700R and FS5 (I or II) in gaining 4K 120P and 60P, which one can do using the 7" Inferno.

The benefits for existing cameras: this will enable owners of the GH5 and GH5S to record 4K 60P in 10bit, and all of those many Sony RX0 owners to record 4K 30P in 10bit. Otherwise, for most owners of mirrorless cameras it permits just higher bitrates at 8bit 422, for which almost no one sees a significant difference.

If one needs just a nice HDR screen, one is better off with a model without the recorder to get an even more compact form with better battery life.

And while I am in a pessimistic mood: the fact that it uses a new form of storage that is not a standard means it is likely that (1) this product will not be available for a while and (2) the storage will be expensive. Currently the Inferno uses standard SSD drives (which are still expensive).

Am I going to get one - yes.