Personal View site logo
Fujifilm X-H1 aka X-T2s video oriented 4K with IBIS
  • 117 Replies sorted by
  • @Manu4Vendetta Odd if there jpgs but common if they are raw conversions. Not all raw converters have the lens corrections built in. I use capture 1 v10 and I see it in my X-T20 files because they don't have the conversions built in. It is easily fixed with light falloff correction tool in Capture 1.

• I noticed that the kit w/grip comes with 3 batteries but buying the grip alone includes none?

• Correct, I believe that's a part of the incentive of buying it with the grip. Obviously people have different needs but the camera is only attractive to me with the grip. The X-H1 really should have been delayed and come with the newer sensor once ready, a larger battery and headphone jack in camera. I pre-ordered anyways but it isn't the camera I was hoping for.

• Rigged H1

sa2027.jpg
    777 x 594 - 75K
  • Body with F-803 Camera Satchel Bag deal

https://www.adorama.com/ifjxh1.html

• Review

Video recording capabilities are extensive for a camera that is also strongly stills-orientated. In this area, the addition of DCI 4K (4096 x 2160) video, along with internal F-log recording makes the X-H1 the most professional video-equipped X-Series camera to date.

When outputting4K video to an external recorder via the HDMI port chroma subsampling can be 4:2:2 with an 8-bit colour depth. Recording to an SD card reduces the chroma subsampling to 4:2:0 but retains the 8-bit colour depth.

X-H1 supports also consumer 4K recording at 3840 x 2160 pixels, 'Full HD' at 2048 x 1080 and 1920 x 1080 pixels and HD at 1280 x 720 pixels, all requiring cards with UHS Speed Class 3 or higher. A special high-speed recording mode lets users record Full HD movie clips at up to 100 fps for slow-motion playback, with settings available for half-speed, 1/4 speed and 1/5 speed.

Continuous movie shooting time for X-H1 is 1.5x longer than X-T2, shooting 4K clips requires a lot of processing power, which generates heat. Although the X-H1 has a larger heat sink for releasing heat to the exterior of the camera, shooting times are restricted and the camera becomes quite warm after a few minutes' recording.

http://photoreview.com.au/reviews/advanced-compact-cameras/interchangeable-lens/fujifilm-x-h1

• Typing can do wonders

sa2300.jpg
    543 x 395 - 48K
  • Thoughtful. Not the splashy norm of reviews.

• Fujifilm Press Release

Regarding Malfunction of FUJIFILM X-H1

To our valued customers

Thank you very much for purchasing and using our products.

We have discovered two malfunctions in the recently launched FUJIFILM X-H1.

They are as follows:

• In the EF (E-FRONT CURTAIN SHUTTER) setting, the warning of “TURN OFF THE CAMERA AND TURN ON AGAIN” could appear in rare cases when the FLICKER REDUCTION setting is ON.
    • Switching the CUSTOM setting can make the ISO AUTO setting return back to default when the ISO AUTO setting is changed.

We have identified the cause and plan to release an upgraded firmware to address these malfunctions. This firmware should be available near the end of March 2018.

We deeply apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

We are always working to improve the quality of our products. Your understanding is very much appreciated.

• In regards to the video posted by MikeLinn. I noticed this on my Fuji XT-2 when I compared the same exposure on my Nikon cameras. It is exactly off by 2/3 of a stop Fuji vs Nikon. Its annoying when I try to shoot with the Nikon and the Fuji under the same lighting conditions, and always have to remember to overexpose for the Fuji or under expose for the Nikon. This is only a problem when I use my light meter and try to get perfect exposure.

It doesn't surprise me that the A7III is better in lowlight. The problem at this particular point in time is that the Sony A7III brings way more to the table then the Fuji. Fuji also made a huge mistake by not increasing the battery size. This alone was a turn off for me. I shoot my Fuji XT2 with the grip only due to the ergonomics/battery life and don't want to carry around 3 extra batteries all the time. To be fair 3 batteries normally last me the whole day.

Here is my short quick take on the cameras:

Fuji = Better EVF, better skin tones straight out of camera with excellent film simulations.

Sony = Better sensor-full frame, better battery life, better autofocus, better buffer, better lowlight performance, better video features-full frame no crop or super 35, and with the soon to be released Sigma Art Lenses excellent lens selection as well.

The only thing the Fuji X-H1 has over the Sony A7III at this particular point and time is their film simulations. I like my Fuji XT-2 but comparing the Fuji X-H1/XT-2 against the Sony A7III? No comparison... Sony A7III all the way no questions asked. Now if the Fuji X-H1 with the battery grip was about $1500.00 then it would be something to consider looking at price point alone. However that is not the case and being that the battery life is dismal the battery grip is actually a neccesity with the Fuji X-H1/XT-2 camera. So the Fuji X-H1 will actually cost $2199 vs $1999 for the Sony A7III.

I am curious as to who would buy Fuji X-H1 over the Sony A7III?

I would buy the Sony A7III at this particular point and time.

What would you buy ???

• @Azo Neither it's complicated I decided a few months ago to get my feet wet with Fuji and bought a X-T20 and for the most part love it. I was also expecting some nice things out of the X-H1 but frankly it came up short. The forced need for the battery grip really annoys me and if I ever get a X-H1 it will never be with grip. Yes they should have put in a bigger battery and/or more efficient processor. only 15 minute recording limit without grip is stupid and they need to kaizen that to 30. My X-T20 does 10 min and the X-H1 only improves on that by 5 minutes! Now for me it doesn't matter I seldom do a take over 5 min but that is a ridiculous limit. The other missing thing is zebras I hate that they don't have them. Now for Sony the body alone seems to be well priced but it is full frame and the glass is pricey so total cost of ownership is high. Now most of the issue is with video and here is my solution buy one of the new monitors Feelworld F6 or Andycine A6 both go for $179 also sold under other names. They take Sony NPF batteries and there is a power out on the monitor so you can use a DC coupler in camera. With this setup I have a very manageable 5.5" monitor that has false colors, magnification, zebras and a headphone out most problems fixed. My X-T20 with the smallest NPF I can get 30 minutes of recording with this setup. In fact I have done 3 10 minute segment right after each other with no hint of over heating. So you got to wonder why we have these limits are the Fuji batteries getting so hot they cause problems? Final comment Fuji lenses are great and APSC is good enough for me but with my little monitor $179 which is way less than a grip I'm sticking with the X-T20 and give them a year but no X-H1 for me unless I get some money to be stupid with. One great thing Fuji did is created a setting to make fly by wire focusing constant vs the variable speed that is common hopefully Panasonic will adopt that idea.

• Fujifilm X-H1 Mirrorless Digital Camera, used, $1799

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B079PTRNKK/

• Fujifilm X-H1 with MKX 18-55mm T2.9 and MKX 50-135mm T2.9 lenses

• Interesting video...

• X-H1 supports also consumer 4K recording at 3840 x 2160 pixels, 'Full HD' at 2048 x 1080 and 1920 x 1080 pixels and HD at 1280 x 720 pixels, all requiring cards with UHS Speed Class 3 or higher. A special high-speed recording mode lets users record Full HD movie clips at up to 100 fps for slow-motion playback, with settings available for half-speed, 1/4 speed and 1/5 speed.

Nice that they officially provide a 2K option, I feel too many stills cameras leave out 2K as a video option even though they have higher resolution options!