Personal View site logo
Panasonic GH5S GH5 S, 4K Video Edition
  • 533 Replies sorted by
  • @DrDave

If Samsung produced enough NX1 bodies and just stored them selling in small batches they could have bough all Panasonic DSC department for this money :-)

• They are cutting the price because the IQ is crap. Meanwhile, the price on the NX1 goes up.

• Panasonic management is crazy

• @HillTop1

Well, if you need them for job it is strange to wait for possible price cuts, it makes sense to wait only in case of not really requiring them now. No one really know ways of Panasonic management thoughts.

• 40%!! Wow, thanks for this info. I hope this's true because we were planning to buy 2 this Friday with an additional one later in year. Will definitely have to convince the others to wait even if it turns to be just 15% discount.

• Panasonic GH5s become first camera in GH series history that is in stock on launch date

It is now strong rumors in dealers circles that Panasonic will make significant price reduction in March or very early April.

Some talk about 40% cut, but it will be determinated by actual sales, as Panasonic needs minimal production volume to keep lines profitable and preliminary sales figure is much lower than this volume.

• I just can't imagine getting the 5s when the detail is so bad, I mean an A7s II or any of a number of other cameras will give you detail and LL.

• @endotoxic

Gh5 s lacks detail in all tests I've seen. It was expected since it has less native resolution and downscaling to 4k from sensor in gh5 gives better detail It would be interesting to see more resolution charts and how much the s line lacks behind."

@Bernie

Lack of detail is due to noise reduction. By looks of it, noise reduction has temporal aspect to it that allows for less noise vs previous in camera NR , but as the expense of details. Its the same technique that A7s series use.

Yes, I hope there is some original footage of the GH5s footage soon to download. I can't stand the look of ANY noise reduction processing on footage. I've seen 4k clips of the GH5 and AS7II that have lower detail at 4k that even my Blackmagic 2.5k footage shot at 1080p... because of the garbage "noise reduction". It makes everything look like a 720p video... even the camera-original 4k footage. Hopefully it was just user error or something and these clips just didn't have it turned down far enough. I really want to get a GH5s... love the features... and I need to slow-motion options... but man... this in-camera noise-reduction really makes footage unusable for anything, IMO.

• I'm pretty sure that the s line will be included in future versions. About the ibis lock system, IST NOT hard, is only a lock to the magnesium frame.

What should be interesting would be dumping eva1, rebump the new LSI and add accessories to gh6 with all FPGAs that are getting rust on their factories, all the available from varicam SDI, raw output etc. Sell those modules in 1000 a piece.

For example $1000 x3 SDI output. 10bit 4:2:2 120fps. 4k . 8k 60p 10bit 4:2:2, is FPGA heaven good profit.1 SDI for uncompressed output, other monitoring and extra one for viewfinder that could. Be sold by Panasonic themselves. Put your that G9 viewfinder a bigger enclosure, put your code on so can be only compatible with gh's module. I'll pay $600 for a proper one.

Audiomodule is already implemented, but making a cable to move it around for like 30cm would be a killer feature. $150

Module for high frequency wireless transmitting. $400 add to 1 SDI outup from other module.

What would be a killer killer feature and it is possible would be making those Panasonic lenses its own line of cinema ones. Better build up mechanical features focus by wire those tech they use to defocus metadata and all that. Make parafocal line. I'll assure good buys. They already have the options and optics. Casing their own designs it's not that expensive. Begin with 5 line steup. 16 24 35 50 85.

• Multi-aspect sensor and IBIS together are not very compatible with the coverage circle of all micro 4/3 lenses. It's probably not worth all of the complaints from people when their videos have random dark corners appearing.

• @endotoxic Sorry if I misinterpreted your comment. I understand now you meant that Panasonic does not have an option to lock it in place. I also don't think it would cost a fortune but they would have to redesign there IBIS module to hold the multiaspect sensor. That would probably take some R&D $$. Hopefully they will and put a multi aspect sensor in the GH6 as well. While there at it add Dual ISO and than just maybe the GH5s becomes redundant.

• @scott

Why you thought such thing about me?

Of course ibis can be locked down. But current gh5 don't have it. We are speculating about possible updated camera gh6 maybe. But won't be a smart marketing idea. Stop earning extra 2500 just for lock down....hmmm no thanks, keep on adding the s to the line and lock that oversized sensor.

I'm not an ibis hater, I just like the idea of classic sensor layout on mount. You can use other equipment to attain the same result.

• GH5 vs GH5S on snowmobile rig (skip to 3:15s to see start of comparison)

• @Manu4Vendetta ISO 400 to 800 ? That's not much pushing...

Woo I like this..

• @endotoxic Glad your not a designer you lack imagination. I have no doubt that IBIS could be locked down. In fact if the problems I'm only recently hearing of were that big an issue it should have been in R&D already. I guess the GH5 is garbage having IBIS lol. The people now defending Panasonic sound more like shills. Why would you not want to challenge Panasonic to give you the best of both worlds?

• ibis is a floating sensor hold by magnetic force. Cant lock it. Gh5 don't have it.

I'm not a hater, I love ibis is a grate tech.

• I believe IBIS haters are just trolling. Who would hate something that you can disable from menu? Then you don't have it anymore. Both parties should be happy.

• @endotoxic “Ibis is OK for amateur of special needs.”

I agree.

• [redacted]

• I can’t believe the hate of ibis Here! For weddings, events, some promo work, the ibis has changed the way i shoot for the better!

That being said it’s not for every instance and big productions don’t need it when they have rigging.

• Ibis is OK for amateur of special needs.

• This post can also help you to perceive if you need IBIS. It talks about situations for using handheld camera:

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/17221/handheld-camera-shooting-why-and-when

• @man4vendetta

Loose detail too much. On that video. You can't beat physics.