Personal View site logo
Panasonic GH5S GH5 S, 4K Video Edition
  • 533 Replies sorted by

Marketing finally produced something about Dual ISO, looks fake.

sa1319.jpg
    800 x 362 - 33K
  • GH5s photo ISO test: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-gh5s/panasonic-gh5sA7.HTM

GH5s video tests and comparisons: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-gh5s/panasonic-gh5sA.HTM#shooting1

"At both 12,800 and 25,600, the GH5S looks slightly better than the A7S II at the same ISOs, which is both unexpected and subjectively highly impressive for a camera featuring a sensor that is a fraction the size of the other.

A sensor significantly smaller than the full-frame A7S II is beating that camera in low-light performance. I never thought I would see the day. With these test results, it's hard to argue that the GH5S is not the new king of low light."

• I don't see how wireless TC transmission is linked into this.

Neither do I think this is linked to Zaxcom, as the main issue people usually have with them is blocking simultaneously recording and wireless audio transmission (i.e. a bodypack that is both a recorder and a transmitter!).

Let's continue to this talk later, ok? As it seems you think about different things here.

• No IBIS is a dealbreaker. Lowlight looks great though.

• GH5s High ISO Test - Compared to the A7s II, EVA1 & GH5:

• Its a massive thanks to this group and a few other call outs that we got Multi Aspect sensor back :-)

Yay!

Do not rush, look at the talk above.

Could you link or quote exactly what you're referring to?

Talk was about timecode, it is much simpler and cheaper now to add wireless TC transmission. But due to Zaxcom restrictions you can't do it.

I don't see how wireless TC transmission is linked into this.

Neither do I think this is linked to Zaxcom, as the main issue people usually have with them is blocking simultaneously recording and wireless audio transmission (i.e. a bodypack that is both a recorder and a transmitter!).

• @Ironfilm no one said GH5S has wireless T/C. Can't speak for Vitaliy, but many of us who field large arrays and move them around want wireless, and the industry has been slow to offer reliable solutions, partly because of patent hassles (but also they don't want the competition or even to offer something cheaper).

• Good mini-review in typical extrashot style:

• 200mm lens is quite stunning with the GH5s. Ill have some footage up soon. Skiin tones look great. V Log in 10 bit has never looked as good at 1250 ISO...

• Does it show exposure info (aperture, SS and iso) in all video modes?

• @driftwood

There is NO improvement in terms of DR. Its just cleaner at high iSOs

Reading this it can be nice to hear definition of sensor DR among Panasonic guys :-)

• Speedbooster 0.71x works fine and there are no lock ups with for example the 18-35 Sigma.

• Its a massive thanks to this group and a few other call outs that we got Multi Aspect sensor back :-)

• There is NO improvement in terms of DR. Its just cleaner at high iSOs

• vk your right, not much improvements in DR from what I have seen so far

• gh5s Anamorphic mode

• @IronFilm

Hmmmm.......... can't see how this has anything at all to do with the GH5S?! :-/

GH5S doesn't have wireless timecode. (TC I/O is via the flash sync port)

Do not rush, look at the talk above.

Talk was about timecode, it is much simpler and cheaper now to add wireless TC transmission.
    But due to Zaxcom restrictions you can't do it.

• If you compare real DR at the image level, I guess 0,5 stops tops.

Luke Neumann claim in his video is he said the GH5S has a two stop improvement? And suggested the stops went into better highlight roll off.

Guess we need to wait and see.

@Vitaliy is right about the wireless t/c.

GH5S doesn't have wireless timecode. (TC I/O is via the flash sync port)

The original A7s also can't record 4k internally so it's worth factoring an external recorder into your price calculations if you're looking for apples->apples vs the GH5s...

Shooting 4K with an a7S mk1 instead of just buying an a7S mk2 from the start makes as much sense as buying a Panasonic GH4 to use with an external recorder for 4K 10bit instead of just getting a GH5 from the start.

Which is to say it makes no sense at all.

• My second though is that Zaxcom wireless timecode patent made extremely negative consequences to industry.

As otherwise we had it long time ago.

Hmmmm.......... can't see how this has anything at all to do with the GH5S?! :-/