Personal View site logo
12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic lens topic
  • 492 Replies sorted by
  • I find either very slow gradual zooms or quick crash zooms work best with these types of lenses. That middle speed is where you notice this the most. will run some tests to confirm this With this particular lens.

• Folks who are sick of the glitchy Lumix12-35mm f2.8 should check out the legacy Four Thirds Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 while they can still be found on ebay. Lacks OIS but it's sharp, does glitch-free auto-focus, and is the most parfocal midrange zoom you can get for the GH2-GH4.

• @lpowell

i just got a like-new sigma 18-50/2.8 that i put on a gh2 body. i'm not able to use the manual assist fonction with that lens (tumb push on the back wheel). is it normal, or is it the result of using a 4/3 toM4/3 adapter, being neither the panasonic nor the olympus one?

• Firmware Update to Ver. 1.3

http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/dl/hs12035.html

2015/08/05
    Ver. 1.3
    Dual I.S.( Image Stabilizer ) is available by this firmware update. (in case of the usage of Camera with this function) * Dual I.S.:Innovative Handshake Correction System by the ideal combination of lens I.S and Body I.S.

Center sharpness peaks at around f/4 at 12mm, though f/5.6 and f/8 perform is a very similar manner. As for the corners and edges, I would declare a tie between f/4 and f/5.6. Although the fastest aperture of f/2.8 is very useable in both the corners and at the center, it is noticeably softer than f/4 at 12mm.

http://www.mirrorlessons.com/2015/11/23/panasonic-12-35mm-review/

zebra414.jpg
    800 x 563 - 77K

Those worried about there being a dramatic difference in sharpness between the two zooms can rest easy – both perform very well throughout the zoom and aperture ranges. Neither is quite as sharp as a prime lens but the results are more than enough for most purposes.

http://www.mirrorlessons.com/2015/12/07/panasonic-12-35-vs-olympus-12-40/

zebra493.jpg
    800 x 597 - 87K
  • One friend said that this lens can adjust aperture smoothly (auto exposure) during video recording. Can someone confirm that using S-mode (via video menu) and fixed iso the lens adjusts exposure smoothly.

Most Panasonic lenses adjusts aperture in steps making shutter priority auto looking quite bad.

• It's very good..... but not perfect. I sometimes see the exposure change slightly. It is quite smooth but perhaps a little too fast.

• @caveport

Thanks. Can you one more time test if the aperture changes smoothly when you pan from dark to very bright in example towards sky or a lamp. Is there any "clicks" when the aperture goes smaller? Shutter priority (video menu S) and fixed iso. It is hard for me to believe the aperture changes smoothly.

Auto iso and shutter speed changes very smoothly without any steps.

• Would you be interest guys to do a petition for an update of this lens to Panasonic ? It's problem that can be solve by software.

• Any word on stepless aperture? Or is that something that must be implemented on camera level (read GH3..) ?

@Evero asked that question at may 2012. I checked all 19 pages. Not a word about stepless aperture. Is it really stepless in shutter priority mode like some people say?

• WE WEED TO COMPLAIN TO PANASONIC ALL TOGHETER TO MAKE THEM CHANGE THAT.

ARE YOU WITH ME ???

THERE IS NO SOLUTION WE CAN GET BY OURSELVES. PETITION IS THE SOLUTION FOR AN UPGRADE

• @marcan169

1. I think it is like 100 different online petitions sites.
    2. For now exactly zero petitions in photo industry resulted in something.
  • The problem is coming from the manufacture of the lens. Panasonic choose to privileged the photographer customer. In fact, it's a cool feature for not loosening light at any focal, but this is not good on video because we can't use it for zooming without having step-less aperture. But I'm sure if we complain a lot at Panasonic to obtain the possibility to shut down this feature, we will have the possibility to zoom with a loose of light that we can manage in post-production. What do you think about it everyone ?

• I'm sure we need to try because I have friends who have connections with Panasonic. Don't be pessimist, it does not get anywhere to think like that. Panasonic listen their customers. Most of the cool software features on GH4 was born thanks to the beta tester and customer.

• Just a simple question. Is the aperture stepless or not? In auto exposure not zooming: Do I need to go to a store to test myself?

• @Vesku It is quite smooth in auto ISO but has 1/3 EV aperture steps when in shutter priority mode.

• @caveport

thanks. So it works just like other Pana lenses.

• @marcan169 I would say initiate your petition. I'll sign it. I'm sure a lot of others on this site and other sites would as well.

• Would anybody tell me pls if after upgrading 12-35mm lens firmware from 1.2 to 1.3 (which features dual image stabilisation, to cover cameras with IBIS) the lens still works OK with no IBIS cameras, like GH3 or GH4? I know it would, but does it?

• All right, checked it - it does, as expected.

• Any of you have repair/service manual of this 12-35mm f2.8 lens? My lens such some amount of dust behind the front element. I want to clean it up. Is it possible?

• Available for $697 but with $100 gift card

https://www.adorama.com/ipc1235gc.html

• The Dual-IS 2 firmware update for the original f/2.8 zooms has been cancelled due to hardware limitations.