Personal View site logo
4K is officially Dead... Greet your new 8K Masters...
  • http://en.community.dell.com/dell-blogs/direct2dell/b/direct2dell/archive/2017/01/05/world-first-32-inch-8k-overall-thinnest-monitors-ces-2017

What's better than 4K resolution in a monitor? Four times 4K! Yes, previously only seen in prototypes or in sizes far too large for a desktop, we're excited to announce our new 8K monitor.

As the world’s number one monitor brand for three years running, we are relentless in our commitment to delivering the best visual experiences for our customers. It’s a mantel we don’t take lightly, which is why we’re so excited to deliver the world’s first 32-inch 8K and the world’s overall thinnest monitor, as well as a slew of other exciting products at #ces2017 in Las Vegas.

Dell monitor on display at the Dell Experience during CES 2017

In 2015, we brought you the UltraSharp 34 Curved Monitor with its innovative curved display and the UltraSharp 27 Ultra HD 5K Monitor with its stunning 5K resolution – both CES Innovation Award Honorees. In 2016, we announced our first OLED Monitor and brought the innovative InfinityEdge technology, that debuted in 2015 on XPS 13, to our monitor portfolio. This year, we announced an extensive new lineup of innovative monitors, including the Dell UltraSharp 32 Ultra HD 8K, the Dell 27 Ultrathin Monitor with Dell’s innovative HDR feature, two new innovative P-series monitors and the first consumer monitors to offer Dell’s InfinityEdge display on our updated S family of monitors.

Dell UltraSharp 32 Ultra HD 8K Monitor (UP3218K)

With our new UltraSharp 32 Ultra HD 8K Monitor (UP3218K), we’re pushing the boundaries of innovation to feature four times more content than Ultra HD 4K resolution and 16 times more content than Full HD in addition to 33.2 million pixels of resolution compared to a 5K monitor’s 14 million pixels of resolution. The new UP3218K offers breakthrough realism with the finest details and color-critical performance for a truly transcendent visual experience thanks to Dell PremierColor, which offers 1.07 billion colors and 100 percent Adobe RGB and 100 percent sRGB, and an unprecedented 280 ppi to view most images in native format. Feast your eyes!

• 70 Replies sorted by
  • OK, so you can order a new 8K Dell monitor before you touch your OBSOLETE pre-order Panasonic GH5 with BETA non-10bit firmware...

Specs are not the best, as always with 1st gen anything, but within a year Dell came out with an improved 4K display that blew away the original... also, expect Apple to follow suit with an 8K IGZO Imac by this time next year

yes, 4K is dead and we must hold our Camera and Video gear manufacturers to a higher standard... DEMAND better gear, and maybe they'll listen

If you think this is a gimmick, lookee here

http://venturebeat.com/2017/01/05/ambarella-unveils-4k-and-8k-imaging-chips-for-cars-drones-vr-and-sports-cameras/

Yes, drones are getting 8K sooner than you think, and if you listened carefully to Panasonic's previous GH5 original announcement, the GH5 was simply a profit-making stepping stone to their 8K cameras coming thereafter

I welcome our 8K overlords, while waiting for the 120fps version with OLED HDR

• Nah... just uprez the 4K shit to 8K shit. Not an eyeball on the planet will be able to discern the difference. You can bet that's what Hollywood will be doing for their "remastered editions."

It's the 12 bit color I'm actually worried about... it'll probably start showing up on TVs by 2018-2019. Fuck that jazz.

• The monitor will ship on March 23 for US $4,999, Dell announced Thursday. It’ll be available in about 12 countries, in limited quantities.

The 8K monitor has a resolution of 7680 x 4320 pixels, which is about four times that of 4K. It will feature 33.2 million pixels and more than 1 billion colors. It has a video refresh rate of 60Hz and a viewing angle of 178 degrees.

• Although I work in the field and have a 4K TV and monitor, I don't actually know any end-users who have switched to 4K, so the idea that it is end-of-cycle is risible.
    The laptop I just purchased for a friend had a nice 4K screen, and it was a Dell (i7 with a nice, quiet fan). I suppose it's worthless now.

• Hello good DrDave

I am a long-time advocate for oversampling (originally from engineering/audio, then later in video) for creative/professional applications

4K is a "dead" future-looking format going forward for all but portables/cell phones or laptop screens or streaming devices, where convenience/compression is more important than eye strain...

At both extremes believe it or not, 4K 60p is not fine or fast enough for large projection screen or tiny screen displays of the future (AR/VR HMD)...

Why shouldn't a screen be visually indistinguishable from print or looking out a window at hand-held interaction distance?

My favorite design tool has always been a full-size Drafting table, D sized blank sheet and mechanical pencil... I can work all day effortlessly hands-on with no eye strain... why should a future display / PC offer any less?

Dell's Canvas and 8K Display in combination is the proper direction for creatives, with touch-enabled interface /hands-on interaction, and the Microsoft Surface Studio was a first tiny step in the right direction for the future of PC's which Dell seemed to correct

Today, Dell officially shamed all the display manufacturer's who used big salaries and "AI" to generate... curved screens... no wrong year, curved back to flat screens with no 3D... wait, a "smart" TV you can shout at for google info that meanwhile spy's on you... wait, incrementally Brighter screens and Wallpaper displays with enormous sound bars???

Dell had the guts to finally put a real shipping 8K product that is future-looking in our immediate sights and budgets, while all the major display manufacturers were content to wait for 2018-2020 to start producing 8K displays in decent quantity

• 4K is a "dead" future-looking format going forward for all but portables/cell phones or laptop screens or streaming devices ...

Don't those categories you mentioned cover a pretty big percentage of all of the screens in use though?

Just to put things in perspective, consider global shipment numbers of the following items (numbers are from 2015 as 2016 end of year figures are not widely reported yet):

• Cellphones: 1.9 billion units
    • Tablets: 208 million units
    • Laptops: 163 million units
    • Televisions: 226 million units (32 million of these were 4K TVs)
    • LCD Monitors (for desktops, etc.): 123 million units
    • Automotive Displays: 157 million units
    • VR and AR devices: 2.5 million units
  • Unless you're sitting very close to a 30" 8k display, the human eye won't perceive any difference vs 4k. If I remember right, somewhere around 3 feet is the minimum to be able to discern the difference on a 30" 4k screen. If you like to sit with your eyes around 8" from the screen, though, 8k sounds great.

• @eatstoomuchjam

It is good to understand that as you read "human eye won't perceive any difference" it always mean some specific experiment setup, tools used for it, human position and restrictions and definition of "difference".

• Agreed with @Tron. 12-bit wide gamut color is the disruptive technology on the foreseeable horizon. 4K delivery is ideal for the majority of media consumption platforms. 8K delivery may be useful for VR and large screen cinemas, but I don't think it will have the same mass-market disruptive effect that 4K had on a 1080p world, or for that matter that 1080p had on a SD world.

Even now, many industry professionals say 1080p is good enough as an acquisition format. I don't agree, but I do think we're reaching a point of diminishing returns / increasing trade-offs, much as we did with the still camera megapixel wars.

For me, a full frame 4K sensor camera with one-to-one pixel read-out is perfect. I might consider an 8K camera in a few years for downsampling / reframing options, but I don't expect to go beyond 4K delivery unless I'm shooting VR.

• Most movie theaters on the planet (most) are still projecting 2k, and the gold standard is still 4k RES/4444 Color mastering for 2k delivery (this is now finally possible to do completely with digital as line skipping would not allow true 4444 before 8k)

This bunk about 4k being obsolete is all marketing so they can sell you a new cheaply made item at a large price.

• I have no concern over technical specs or data rates, but look at this as a vision/medical problem to solve- watching displays in 2017 should NOT cause eye issues ever.

There may be a point of diminishing returns after 8K 120fps in the near-term, but 4K 60p on "smallish" screens is not sufficient resolution or refresh rate to not cause eye issues at hands length distance.

I have experienced accelerated vision issues due to our profession, not only symptoms of aging, and attempt to do whatever to preserve my vision via any means available. As much as technology has progressed, fixes for vision loss has not progressed with Moore's law by any means- your ability to lose vision outweighs our ability to compensate/correct.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/screen-time-digital-eye-strain/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2394611/Have-got-screen-sightedness-Smartphones-causing-sight-problems-soar-warns-eye-surgeon.html

Myopia has also increased for children at alarming rates, and we have taken measures to ensure our kids have minimal use of electronic devices, so much so we sold our ipads years ago to help preserve our kids vision.

after all, it's only your eyeballs...

• http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/the-new-radeon-2017apr24.aspx

$999 gets you Dual Polaris Pro card with 32GB GDDR5 VRAM (16GB per Card), 8K 30p on single cable or 8K 60p on dual Displayport cables

that amount of RAM for that price makes me curious to check it out, though I've stayed away from AMD Pro cards due to drivers...

• Im waiting the 32K, 1080 and 4K is for losers, 8K isnt enough. My eyes cant appreciate The Godfather to 1080.

PS: Seriously How far will marketing take us?:

• Now that we have the $999 GPU with enough RAM and horsepower, and the $4999 Dell 8K display with enough pixels, where are the new CINE / VIDEO cameras (other than last years RED 8K Weapon)?

NAB 2017 = Sound of Crickets...

I guess, the Sony Press Conference entitled "BEYOND RESOLUTION" at NAB 2017 gives us a sarcastic hint... now that Sony has topped/captured the prosumer CMOS Sensor space and offers "$299 Apple iPhoneSE 4K resolution- equivalence" on their camera line-up, expect Sony to continue increasing price with minor improvements and likely next pushing for proprietary standards, as Sony has historically done in the past

Japanese Marketing translation... focus on "PROFIT" not "PERFORMANCE" this year for 2017...

On the consumer front, Samsung is pushing yet ANOTHER HDR standard HDR10+ instead of simply supporting HLG, while HDMI 2.1 requires new cables to get the newest features...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

HOT BREAKING NAB NEWS JUST IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OOOOHH- wait, there's a NEW CAMERA ON THE HORIZON in shadows coming soon in another Press conference...

DID You see it?

SENSOR 14 Megapixel PIXEL ARRAY 5120 (h) x 2700 (v) MAX IMAGE AREA 4480 (h) x 2304 (v) DYNAMIC RANGE 13+ stops S/N RATIO 66 dB LENS COVERAGE 24.2mm (h) x 12.5mm (v) x 27.3 mm (d) MAX DEPTH OF FIELD Equivalent to S35mm (Motion) lens Equivalent to 16mm (Motion) lens in 2K RAW

PROJECT TIMEBASE
    23.98, 24, 25, 29.97 fps @ 4K and 4.5K resolution 50, 59.94fps @ 2K and 3K resolution RECORDING FRAME RATES
    1–30 fps @ 4.5K, 4K 1–60 fps @ 3K 1–120 fps @ 2K COMPRESSION 12-bit RAW : 28, 36, 42 Quality Levels RAW ACQUISITION FORMATS 4.5K (2.4:1) 4K (16:9, HD, 2:1, and Anamorphic 2:1) 3K (16:9, 2:1, and Anamorphic 2:1) 2K (16:9, 2:1, and Anamorphic 2:1) DELIVERY FORMATS1
    4K: DPX, TIFF, OpenEXR 2K: DPX, TIFF, OpenEXR 1080p RGB or 4:2:2, 720p 4:2:2 : Quicktime, JPEG Avid AAF, MXF. 1080p 4.2.0, 720p 4:2:0 : H.264, .MP4 MONITOR OUTPUTS HD-SDI and HDMI with Frame Guides and Look Around 720p RGB or 4:2:2 SMPTE Timecode, HANC Metadata, 24-bit 48 kHz Audio

Price $$$$ and RELEASE DATE...........???????????????????

2007? ....... OOPS, my bad, I just read the spec sheet from 10 years ago NAB in the trash from the Red One... but aren't you excited for the UPCOMING CAMERA in shadows?

Is it me or is it Groundhog DECADE- did we just enter 2007 all over again?

• I don't think anybody would be all that excited if they announced the camera today with the specs you just quoted at the launch price of the Red One (more than $30k for a full kit if I remember right) or the stability of it (crashed a lot)... and a Red One kit still sells used on ebay for around $5k. Of course, these days, you could get an Ursa Mini 4.6k brand new for about $5k. Probably a better investment overall.

But sure, if someone announced a very similar camera for under $3k at NAB, we would all be very excited. I don't think that's an indicator that the market is stale, though.

• I'd be so happy with a cheap, big sensor 1080p camera that had a good clean and high DR image.

• @briani - agreed, we don't need to chase resolution, much more important for me to have good colour science and DR, and strong codec, a nice 10-12 bits, 422 1080p with approx 15 stops and I am happy :)

• @brianl Get a 5D Mark II or a 5D Mark III (depending on your definition of "cheap") and install Magic Lantern - great 1080p high DR image.

• @eatstoomuchjam @brianl @tubefingers

I was happier with the sound of LP records than 8 track cassettes, but Audio Professionals never used either as a Mastering Medium.

Let Grandpa pull up a chair and tell you a story about two feuding Japanese corporations from about 2 decades ago...

2 necessary components of ALL video/film is a minimum framerate and resolution, from there you build upon.

Well, Japanese company A released a 1080i videocamera as their replacement solution for NTSC Broadcast, while Japanese company B released a 720p camera as their proposed solution ...

Can you name Company A and B, and which picture looked better to my and most of the other attendees at that NAB on 32-40" tube TV?

The moral of the story was that as time marches on every decade or so in the video industry, there are professionals who stay stuck on what they've done before instead of being flexible and open to what they could do better, and the latter is the professional attitude for long-term success in any industry.

• @NickBen Well, Black Magic have a 4.6k camera which is pretty affordable (if you want to start shooting >4k right now). It's going to take some time, though, before LSI vendors have 8k chipsets ready for mass consumption - and assuming that ~100 megabits is the baseline for decent-quality compressed 4k, it'll also be a little while still before people are ready to accept that 400 megabits will be the minimum (compressed!) baseline for the new recording format (assuming that bitrate scales in a linear fashion with resolution).

Aside from the Red Dragon, if you want exciting higher-than-4k-res camera options, check out what Lytro are working on. It's not a shipping product yet, but if they can deliver on their promises, their product is pretty amazing.

• @eatstoomuchjam 4.6K acquisition is almost pointless except for post stabilization for 4K /1080p finish, but Lytro is interesting for certain in pushing in the right direction for the next gen of VR/AR that replaces 2D

PS. the answers to the above quiz!!!!!!!!!!

A = Sony

B = Panasonic

the 720p was visually superior to 1080i for most people at that NAB, so sufficient framerate also mattered all else being rather equal

• Whomever said Youtube videos don't pay...

I'll feed the beast:

I post this Linus Tech Tips 8K video link in jest, as if Linus didn't know how much the Red really cost, after buying a Petabyte of hard drives...

at least now we can preserve Linus pimples and pretty earrings in 8K for "eternutty"...

• Jjust watched the RED unboxing video, this is some funny shit :) I don't doubt its a great cam, seen some lovely footage and stills pulled from this, but man.........those accessory prices are f**king ridiculous! £200 for a monitor cable haha

• http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/AC/Sharp-plans-to-launch-high-end-TV-brand-in-US

OSAKA -- Japan-based electronics maker Sharp plans to launch a high-end television brand in the U.S., a company representative said on Monday.

The electronics maker has already applied for a trademark for the brand, the representative said. Sales are expected to start in fiscal 2018, which begins in April, at the earliest...

The new line will include only high-end TVs equipped with state-of-the-art technologies such as 8K resolution...

• Now Foxconn slaves can slave in America too, thanks to Trump (Foxconn is owned by Sharp).