Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
4K is officially Dead... Greet your new 8K Masters...
  • 70 Replies sorted by
  • It already takes my 12-core 32GB workstation one-hour-per-minute of footage to Neat Video/downsample 4K footage into 1080p that's actually scrubbable inside my video editor. Can we expect home server farms to become de rigeur for processing the upcoming onslaught of 8K footage?

• @LPowell

It already takes my 12-core 32GB workstation one-hour-per-minute of footage to Neat Video/downsample 4K footage into 1080p that's actually scrubbable inside my video editor.

Is it some joke? :-)

• I have a LUT in there as well, but even so...

• That seems like an awfully long time - do you have no GPU and a much older 12-core processor?

I'm not near it to check right now, but from what I recall, my 8700k can do something like 4 fps CPU-only and a 1080ti adds another 6 or so. Rendering at 10fps will put me at about a 3:1 time ratio for a 30fps sequence.

Applying a LUT and downsizing are both relatively trivial tasks that shouldn't add a lot of overhead.

• @eatstoomuchjam

4K decoding, resizing, adding LUT and simple filters and encoding to H.264 must be realtime or faster. Just need proper QuickSync or GPU support.

• Sure. That's why I said that they're trivial. :)

• I have an Nvidea GTX960. CPU utilization is at least 50%. I think it's Neat Video, but I can't give up the multiband noise reduction plus sharpening. I just let it run overnight.

• It's the Neat Video. Love it then leave it to render. Although it might benefit from two cards....not sure.

• This 8K video presented in shoal shimmering 2160p.

• In April 2018, IHS Markit estimated that 85,000 8K TVs would be sold in 2018. Finally, this figure has been largely revised downward, IHS Markit now expects only 18,000 televisions being sold worldwide.

2019 sales also revised 50% down.

• Nvidia RTX usage to decode Red RAW

Working with leading camera maker RED Digital Cinema, Turing makes it possible for video editors and color graders to work with 8K footage in full resolution — in real time — reaching greater than 24 frames per second using just a single-processor PC with one Quadro RTX GPU.

And at less than half the price of CPU-laden workstations, this solution puts 8K within reach for a broad universe of post-production professionals using RED cameras whose content is viewed by millions.

“RED is passionate about getting high-performance tools in the hands of as many content creators as possible,” said Jarred Land, president of RED Digital Cinema. “Our work with NVIDIA to massively accelerate decode times has made working with 8K files in real time a reality for all.”

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2018/08/14/red-digital-cinema-nvidia-8k/

Note that almost all Quadro cards differ only inside encrypted BIOS and drivers and sometimes few resistors added to consumer cards.

• Most flat panel makers are accelerating their deployments in the 8K sector as 4K panels have already become a standard for the TV industry with nearly all TVs in above 43-inch sizes coming with a 4K panel.

Production of 8K TV panels is about to take off in 2019, initial shipments will be limited due to a lack of SoC solutions, low yield rates and high production costs, said the marketing research firm, which also estimated global 8K TV panel shipments to reach 300,000 units in 2019 for a penetration rate of 0.1%.

65- and 75-inch models will be the mainstream sizes of the 8K LCD TV segment as players including Samsung Display, Innolux, AU Optronics (AUO), BOE Technology and China Star Optoelectronics Technology (CSOT) .

Samsung and Innolux are expected to focus on 82-inch 8K panels; AUO and CSOT may roll out 85-inch models; and Sharp is to release 70- and 80-inch models. However, LG Display, Samsung, BOE and CEC are also likely to launch 98-inch 8K panels.

In addition to 8K LCD panels, LG Display is expected to begin to supply 88-inch 8K OLED TV panels in 2019

• Small remark.

8K will be first resolution where industry will have huge issues trying to sell stuff at second, wider adoption stage.

• The 8K Association

The 8K Association is positioned as a “not for profit” multi-industry body that currently lists among its founding member companies: AUO, Hisense, Panasonic, Samsung, and TCL.

According the group’s mission statement, the primary goals will be to promote 8K TVs and 8K content to consumers and professionals; educate consumers and professionals about the 8K ecosystem; secure 8K native content for members; encourage service providers (especially OTT) to develop 8K offerings; facilitate communication within the 8K ecosystem to help with commercialization; develop initial technical requirements for 8K input signals and develop initial 8K TV product categories using minimum specifications for image quality

https://hdguru.com/associations-converge-to-promote-uhd-tv/

• Notice how proper decoder affects performance at 8K resolution.

• The 8K Association this week announced it has certified more than 70 8K UHD TV sets, including almost 50 models launched through the first half of 2021, while TCL used the occasion to announce the U.S. roll out of its first 8K 6 Series TV models and pricing for the U.S. market.

The 8K Certified models come from three top global TV brands including Samsung, TCL and Hisense, all 8K Association members, and does not include 8K models from non members like LG and Sony.

• It seems to me that 8k is having a hard time gaining market share. The TVs are very power hungry and the benefit for the user is small. To me, even FullHD looks perfectly fine. For PC monitors it makes more sense but Dell has been very much on its own since launching its UP3218K monitor several years ago. The ViewSonic 8k monitor announced early last year (with only a single connection to the PC unlike the Dell) has yet to hit the market.

8K TVs continue to fail to generate much traction with consumers around the world, according to a presentation this week from Omdia’s Senior Research Director for TV, Online and Advertising Maria Rua Aguete.

Speaking in a virtual presentation during 2022 NAB Show, the Omdia research expert said shipments of 8K TVs accounted for just 0.15% of all TV shipments in 2021. This means just a little more than 350,000 units globally, the Buenos Aires and Miami-based Prensario Internacional web site reported Thursday.

The Omdia research firm’s data suggests a mere 95,500 8K televisions were shipped in Q4-2021, which is an increase from 81,900 in Q3 2021, but due largely to the traditional seasonality lift.

sa7071.jpg
    671 x 467 - 45K
  • 8K sets: the resolution is great but the actual image quality is not quite as good as the high end 4K sets. The consumer is not going to buy based on resolution alone, they are going to want to see a better review score in the usual places.