Personal View site logo
GH5 Panasonic camera, from anticipation to love or hate
  • 2083 Replies sorted by
  • So Basically no word on Anamorphic mode, and Dynamic Range Improvement over GH4 if any

• @konjow I can assure you HD is 180fps

• So now that it has been announced I can talk about my experience with the camera!

I was invited to a pre-production release to demo the camera and check out the features with two Panasonic reps from US.

Right away I noticed how solid it felt, the body is about 10% larger and heavier but it doesn't feel too big. It feels absolutely perfect in the hands and is what I have personally been waiting for!

The stabilization is absolutely incredible, I tested with the 12-60 Leica panny lens and it was better than the g85 and gx85 from what I saw.

There is no crop in 4K!!!! This is what everyone has been waiting for.

The list of video modes is absolutely insane and something no other camera can come close to offering!

180fps slow motion in 1080, we weren't able to test the camera with sd cards as it was a pre-production unit.

Something I can confirm for everyone though... something big.... AUTO ISO IN MANUAL VIDEO MODE!! It works and it works well :) you asked, they listened.

You'll see more features announced soon, but if anyone has any questions I can try and answer what I can.

• Its on B&H now HD only 50p

• No details in presentation. Need press text! ;)

• You'll see it in 5 minutes :)

• @tylerknight What happened to you first hand experience text? ;-)

• Looking forward to seeing the press release!

• Press releases is not out until 10:45 Vegas time (19:45 Berlin time).

• No details on the 6K photo mode? Will it shoot 10-bit in 6K, bitrate, what's the chromatic subsampling, all that important stuff.

• New Advanced DFD AF technology for moving object.

• Sorry, forgot to put "not" befoe "need"... fixed it now.

• @liork Why do you hope they will need to fix it? Shouldn't you hope it works properly when released?

• "One man video team"... I hope they will not need to fix ibis firmware like with the G80.

• This really could be ideal cam for doing things on run with minimum tools now having this 5 axsis stibalization ,really a solid monopod could do magic with this camera

• It should be.

• Is that anamorphic mode back on gh5?

• Nick Driftwood will be doing a Live on Panasonic UK Twitter, I think. After the announcement people can flood him with these questions.

Huh. For more than 2 years I do not understand who is responsible for media relations in Panasonic UK. They have lot of good people, including Nick. But their usage and organization most of the time sucks.

• 225-points of CDAF is good but no PDAF may be a bit concerning for tracking AF since everybody that has improved it has adopted PDAF.

Along with Waveform and Vectorscope, False Color would had been nice as well.

I wonder what Panasonic will say about taking 2 firmware updates to deliver All-I flavor of 10-bit 422 instead of having it right away.

Paid V-log... At this price point for this target audience it doesn't make any sense, basically all people wanting the feats that makes the GH5 stand out will want V-log, this is not some niche thing like anamorphic that just a select few can take advantage of. V-log should come with the camera.

As for the rest, it's a matter of waiting for more explanation.

Nick Driftwood will be doing a Live on Panasonic UK Twitter, I think. After the announcement people can flood him with these questions.

• According to the most recent specs it will roll up to 4K @ 40fps in 10 bit 4:2:2, which is .6 playback speed in 24P timeline. That should be really nice for a mild slow-mo effect without any quality loss. If true, nice job Panny!

VK, can you confirm that isn't a typo in your spec list?

• @liork

I want to know what aperture or iso the camera is using. What is wrong with it?

• If my info is right, you will get this LUT. We will see in just few hours...