Personal View site logo
Panasonic G80 / G85 / G8 4K 5-axis stab magnesium monster
  • 511 Replies sorted by
  • Moiree is also present in the GX85, the G7 remains the best choice if you are filming problematic material. There's also some stair-stepping...
    You don't just see these problems in bird feathers, you see them in all kinds of architectural shots and certain types of fabrics, strings on musical instruments, wire mesh and grates, and so on.
    The new cameras are a bit sharper, but it is worth noting that you can add some sharpness in post, but you cannot remove moiree or stair-stepping.

• People make up big problems from nothing. This "moiré problem" is nothing in realty. Go out and start shooting instead of looking at computer screen looking for things to cry about.

• @liork

People make up big problems from nothing. This "moiré problem" is nothing in realty. Go out and start shooting instead of looking at computer screen looking for things to cry about.

It is technical place. If problem is present it is identified and named.

But we will be all glad if you post today or tomorrow your surely amazing videos in separate topic.

• Imagination here goes very high: "Panasonic put moiré in the G85 in order to raise GH5 sales"... I would rather put my imagination in filming.

• Imagination here goes very high: "Panasonic put moiré in the G85 in order to raise GH5 sales"...

Well, they removed AA filter, but could keep it.
    We have no idea that was under this decision. So, @apefos can be even closer to truth then you are.
    One thing that I know for certain is that department had multiple managers meetings dedicated only for rising profits for each m43 body.

I would rather put my imagination in filming.

Good idea, we are waiting for your contest entries. I am sure you'll win with such determination.

• You can see some of my videos in this channel:

I don't pretend to be Steven Spielberg, but sometimes people forget that they are dealing with a sub 900$ camera and expect a Sony F65 results in this price. So Panasonic dropped the AA filter in order to benefit sharpness in stills, this is a hybrid camera, remember?

I am sure 99.5% of viewers will not notice any problem, but from reading here you can come to a conclusion that this camera is totally useless... get realistic man.

• @liork

Cool, as I said we await your new videos on running contest here http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/16128/personal-view-2016-laing-video-contest

I am sure 99.5% of viewers will not notice any problem, but from reading here you can come to a conclusion that this camera is totally useless... get realistic man.

Do not underestimate people around. They are not stupid. And problem is present and actual.

• @liork I film musical ensembles and it is a big problem. You see it in the architectural lines of the rooms and halls, you see it in fabric, you see musical strings look weird, edges of music stands look weird. I have actually had people write in and complain about it.

• And you didnt have it with the G7?

• Better on G7, but not as good as a6300.

• I agree the most important thing is to forget imperfections and keep filming.

Perfect pursuing is stressful, unless you have money to have various camera bodies, or a more expensive perfect camera.

Would you avoid to love a girl just due to her freckles? Of course not.

But we are in a thecnical comunity, so we talk about freckles here, hoping the manufactures are reading the forum.

• Would you avoid to love a girl just due to her freckles? Of course not.

Science does not support this statement.
    In real life very small imperfections can lead to mate rejection.
    And some big can be ignored.

But we are in a thecnical comunity, so we talk about freckles here, hoping the manufactures are reading the forum.

They certainly are.

• @Scot let's start a "beautiful freckles" topic!

We can also start a "beautiful moiré" topic, and develop a music video where the moiré is the main effect surrounding the musicians.

• I've just bought the PAL version, with the new 12-60 lense (both firmware are 1.1) and I'm quite concerned with the results so far in video mode. Both 4K and HD videos have a lot of micro jittering when panning with stab on. It's almost unusable footage. Tested it with the kit lens and the 20mm pancake: same results. Does anyone have this problem too?

• @apefos Yes! after all creativity is also working around the limitations of your tools or embracing them.

• @Sulph I have not noticed it myself would probably be helpful if you posted an example for people to evaluate. After all you don't call the Dr and ask him to diagnose sight unseen he will demand to see you : )

• @Scot I think it is most noticable in the highlights. Here is a vimeo link (g80 is the password).

• What is the shutter speed in this video?

• @Sulph I don't have near the technical skills that some on this site have. That being said I too like liork am curious as the shutter speed and mode etc. The effect is far more obvious in the bright light transitions as you noted which is hitting me as a shutter speed effect as the frames transition from the light to dark you are not getting a smooth transition from frame to frame more stroboscopic which could mean to high a shutter speed. But lets see what others say.

• @liork @Scot Well, SS was 60, 3.5 aperture. 4k 30ips Cine D.

• @Sulph I did a quick test and I think now especially with your input it is a rolling shutter issue causing the effect. It is just made all the more obvious by the harsh change of light at the windows. Whether IBIS is making that worse I don't know.

• Yes it seems that it is not "stabilization dependent". It's a "feature"...at list with my unit. Very problematic for my own concerns. I'll do more tests this week.

• @Sulph Well if it is rolling shutter there maybe hope in the GH5 as the new Olympus seems to have rolling shutter under fairly good control with it's faster readout.

• So the G85 is showing more moiré in video than the G7 from those who have one?