Personal View site logo
TRD Beholder DS1 and EC1 gimbals for Canon/Nikon DSLR
  • 120 Replies sorted by
  • I'm still ironing out my PIDs but I see you have the gain at 55 instead of 255 could that be an issue?

• @jopereira it makes all the difference as that's what the manufacturer says to use. That's the source of your vibration issues. I have no vibration issues with mine after calibrations.

• @HillTop1

It should make no difference. All I need is PID/Power configurations from another DS1. Better if they are proved to work well with GH4+14140 or GH4+20mm.

My versions are coincident with OwlDolly videos as per pictures.

Owldolly Video.jpg
    1920 x 1075 - 175K
    Profile 1.png
    800 x 549 - 153K
  • @jopereira, without me going any further you're using the wrong version. It shouldn't say version 3.0. You should be using 2.xx go watch the videos again. I'am not at home (out for work) and wouldn't be for a few days so I can't help you.

• @Scot @HillTop1

Just to see if we are in the same page :) ... Here are my original profiles 1 and 3. Please care to post yours to compare. I would love to see a configuration that does no produce vibrations at multiple working angles like the original ones do.

Profile 1.png
    800 x 549 - 148K
    Profile 3.png
    800 x 551 - 158K
  • I don't know what people are talking about but there're video's on this thread on how to calibrate this gimbal to work on a smaller lighter camera. I used same videos to calibrate mine to work with the GH4 and GH3. If you use it with a heavier camera like Nikon or canon, it works flawlessly.

• I have a DS1 and am pretty happy with it. Perhaps I don't have unrealistic expectations? I started with the factory calibrations which were ok. I did have a slight vibration issue but ran the auto calibrate and it worked well. I'm running the light Panasonic G7 with a Olympus 9-18 the most so far. Like any equipment you do need to understand it and practice. It and you are not perfect out of the box.

• @chauncy

The support is poor indeed. If it doesn't work well, you're alone.

But I'm impressed with the potential these gimbals have. From getting steady shots with from stabilized systems (like my GH4+20mm) to smooth pans and other camera movements. A better grip can be achieved with a simple add-on support, but you can revert back and work with just one hand any time.

Special/custom settings, anyone?

• that darren miles team rebel video sample with the beholder I would consider a fail. For me, way too much up down bounce and a very poor finished film.

He boldly proclaims, "The results do not disappoint". err, yeah they do.

Are they selling this thing or what?

I've yet to be impressed by any one hand gimbal. That's probably why the big guy in the other video is diy-ing a second arm. Stability.

• I'm having problems with original DS1 PID/power configurations, with lots of situation going on 'vibration mode' :( . I'm using GH4 + 14-140mm or GH4+20mm1.7. Has anyone changed those settings and what are the results?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev - will there be any chance to have either the DS1 or the MS1 on PV deals in the future?

Thanks

• I fly heavier sets up without issue. A7S II with 14mm will be fine.

• Probably. Depending on the weight of the Samyang, you might need to add a little weight behind the camera body to get the balance right. You could also ask TRD on their facebook page or send a note to owldolly. They're both pretty responsive.

• Hey, I own a A7S II and Samyang 14mm 2.8 lens. I'm thinking about getting the Beholder DS1. Do you think I will get this setup to work properly?

• I would say is a custom one...

• Does anyone know what Alexmos controller they use as in simple vs tiny or is it custome?

• Well, of course, as Ikan usually just resell products made by someone.

• As I know, only IKAN rebranding on Beholder was licensed

What is exactly "licenses rebranding"?

• As I know, only IKAN rebranding on Beholder was licensed

• Beholder DS1 is being sold under different names such as Ikan, XT-Xinte and Camkitmate. Is it the same product or do they have variation between manufacturers?

• @HillTop1 and @grisnjam Great info.

Now, why there is a reference to Bluetooth/Android app in many (all?) listing of this gimbal? :(

• Also the DS-1 comes with two PID profiles setup for lighter weight cameras. These can be accessed by pressing the tiny button on the camera plate front 3 or 4 times. 3 is for follow mode and 4 is locked pitch mode.

I found these settings to still be too much for the GX7 + 12mm so I dropped the power a bit and used the auto tune feature for the PID settings, as shown here:

After doing each axis twice I had a stable system.

• @jopereira this is what I used and mine is working like a champ Download drives from here http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/pages/usbtouartbridgevcpdrivers.aspx

download software from here http://www.basecamelectronics.com/files/SimpleBGC_GUI_2_55b7.zip

Uses this video to help you tune it

If you mean BT module by meaning Bluetooth, then no there's no Bluetooth module. There's gonna be a remote coming out soon that will connect directly to the gimbal via a wire. It's not the best when I was using this gimbal for my project last month I would have loved to have Bluetooth module or that remote. http://www.owldolly.com/blogs/news