Personal View site logo
14-140mm lens usage
  • 40 Replies sorted by
  • @alcomposer
    Here's a link to my run-and-gun rig:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/654/gh2-h4n-on-gini-shoulder-mount-rig-with-ruige-5-monitor

Instead of the Lumix 14-140mm, I use the Leicasonic 14-50mm f2.8-3.5. It's faster, its OIS is drop dead steady, and it has a manual aperture ring, though auto-focus is slower than Micro 4/3rds lenses. In addition the Leicasonic extends less than an inch when zoomed, which allows me to use it with a rails-mounted lens hood - not really a matte box, but good enough for my purposes.
    Gini H4n Ruige.jpg
    3136 x 2352 - 2M
  • @davhar...

No this scene...
    apocalypse_now_dennis_hopper.jpg
    485 x 319 - 66K
  • Well I certainly think the 14-140 is a whole lot better than most on this site. It is what it is, Al, so don't be going all- "If is the middle word of life" on us now. We need you, bro. Come back from the dark side.

A jungle is just a jungle and a carpenter never blames his tools.
  • Thanks for the heads up @VK

I am aware of those,... but in a situation where you just need 'set and forget' changing over lenses is a bit painful, (maybe I just need to do what has been mentioned here before- have 3 cameras preset with different lenses... )

Cool- now I can look like that scene out of Apocalypse Now, cool.

Cheers,
    A
  • It had been noted that 45-175mm is fixed in size.
    Also has Power OIS, and power zoom.
    I suggest to look at this new pair of lenses (14-42 X ) for run and gun.
  • Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Such a great community there is here!

Seams like its the 14-140 for now until there is something better, (but then again, a good cinema zoom costs upwards of 20k so lets not kid ourselves).

Was just making sure that I didn't miss something.

Matte box for prime only, (maybe someone can make a T-Shirt of something out of that?)

On a related note- any comments on the 14-140 v's the 14-42/45? (better to go with either- once again for run and gun doco work... plus a bag of primes thrown in for interviews with the nice blurry backgrounds and the cute focus pulls :D )

Cheers,
    You guys rock!
  • no zooms:
    14mm 2.5
    and 25mm 1.4
    both AF but not OIS ...

new G X lens : Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS
    does not extend in length ... (inner zoom)
  • Or the Oly Digital 17mm 1.2:8 pancake - just a tad slower on the autofocus than the 14-140. Plus its noisier, and its a faster lens - nah too bad for run & gun. You can pick it up cheap if u look around. of course its a prime....!
  • No, it does not exist.

The 14-140mm is the best lens you can get with AF and OIS. Alternative is Olympus 12-60 (but much shorter). Your best bet is to wait for the new Panasonic X fast zoom lenses (12-35 and 35-70). But still not comparable to a 10x, 12x or 20x zoom lens on professional video camera systems.

Alternatives are the 17-50 or 24-70 or 24-120 lenses from other lens systems. But these lenses are bulky, do extend most of the times and offer no AF or OIS on the MFT system.
  • Does this even exist?
    >>m43 AF lens with OIS
    >>fast or not is not important
    >>run and gun, but with matte box, so lens must be must be constant length

• @VK
    Sorry to take your time up, I am sure that you have better things to do. Maybe just point me in the right direction? (or is there anyone else online?
  • So, lets sum it up:

m43 AF lens with OIS
    fast or not is not important
    run and gun, but with matte box, so lens must be must be constant length
  • @VK
    I am interested in having a good day to day lens for doco work,... is there anything out there better than the 14-140?

Cheers,
    A
  • >Title of topic is misleading.
    Sorry about that,.. I agree. Should have been something like: Zoom lens with AF etc for run and gun.
  • Title of topic is misleading.
    About 14-140mm - it depends from what you understand under matte box friendly.
    It extends during zoom.

ABout video frindly lenses including zooms:
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/859/video-friendly-lenses-for-lumix-dslrs/