Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
14-140mm lens usage
  • 40 Replies sorted by
  • @LPowell - You might also want to mention that the 14-50mm breathes like crazy and the OIS is VERY loud during recording. I used to own this lens. Other that that, he's right, and it's a very sharp lens.
  • @Shield
    ALL Panasonic Lumix zoom lenses "breathe like crazy", it's inherent in the lens design. If you want a lens you can realistically pull focus on, forget the electronic zooms. I've compiled a long list of video-friendly lenses in this thread:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/859/video-friendly-lenses-for-lumix-dslrs/p1

As far as OIS noise, yes, in quiet conditions you can hear the lens churning while it's stabilizing the image, but are you really going to use the camera's internal mics for any serious purpose?
  • Just to add my €0.02 to this discussion, no issues with the stabilizer on my 14-140. Maybe you have a dud one. Have you tried fiddling with the contacts (ie removed / reseated the lens a few times)? Flicked the switch a few times on the side of the lens?
  • A good example of using 14-140 effectively... when focusing a running bike wheel.

• OIS test:

Thank you @Rambo, mine lens starts shaking no matter 14 or 140 like if s/o accidentally switched OIS off. Thank you @Mark_the_Harp, I am using more than one lens on AF101 so contacts probably won't matter. "Dud one" sounds nice :). Thank you @LPowell and @Shield, OIS noise is not a problem for me as I am using at least shotgun or external audio source. BUT AS YOU CAN HEAR ON THIS TEST MINE LENS IS ALMOST QUIET. I have to stick my ear the lens to hear some work. Thank you all. My last question: if you zoom in and out, are you in the same focus distance like I am used to from Canon gear?
  • I have this lens just for a short while, but I noticed, that it closes the aperture when on wide end and then continuously (well not so continuously) opens the aperture as you zoom in.

Does anyone has any meaningful explanation why is this done that way? Why do they unnecessary slow down the lens on wide end?

• I have noticed the OIS behaving oddly on my 14-140mm lens. I will zoom in and the image will be rock steady - then the image will start twitching as if the OIS is switched off. If I hold very, very still, the image will then settle down again....and then start twitching.

I haven't noticed the same behavior from the 100-300mm or the 12-35mm lenses.

• Alfi666, I'm sure that if the lens performed well at f=14 mm with the aperture set wider than f/4.0, Panasonic would have made it do that. It's hard to make a long-range zoom lens that is fast at the wide end and still has good image quality, and it's quite typical of zoom lenses to reduce the aperture at shorter focal lengths. It's typical of lenses that the images look better when the aperture is reduced a bit from its widest setting.

You can test the lens's performance at f=14 with wider apertures yourself. Zoom in to f=140 mm, set the aperture to the maximum, and focus on something. Remove the camera's battery. Remove the lens. Cut a piece of paper to cover the lens's electrical contacts, and re-attach the lens with the contacts covered. Put the battery back in, turn the camera on, zoom out to f=14 mm, and snap some pics for us. The camera will also need to be set to shoot without a lens, if you haven't already done that.

• @balazer : Good tip... I'll certainly do it :)

• OK, so I did a test, but unfortunately, the electronics is also manipulating the flange-back distance... so without power, lens becomes a little bit "macro". On wide end, there is also a heavy vignette in the left corners - this obviously goes away when lens corrects its flange-back

wide.JPG
    4976 x 2800 - 7M
    tele.JPG
    4976 x 2800 - 7M
  • I'm so sad that while shooting an event 2day, my 14-140mm lens(operated by my fren on gh2) couldn't do manual/auto focus after certain zoom range(which starts from 50+mm till 140mm after i test it further). So, I guess it's time to send it for repair. Just curious what's actually wrong with my lens and how would Panasonic charge me... warranty is over. I didn't see any case like mine after searching internet...

• I'm thinking if it's only certain part got loosen that I could go to local camera repair shop to repair for me.... or since it's focus by wire so i must send it back to panasonic?

• Got new replacement of my 14-140mm lens after a month to Panasonic repair center...

• Are there any good ideas on dealing with the zoom ring on these lens? Mine seems to have a life of its own, it seems it's expanding, few more hot days and it'll expand to a point of no grip...

• Use a Cokin P or A series as a mattebox = no problems...